• Mar 17th, 2018 1:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5496 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto

USB to micro USB cable

Anywhere in gta or online. not requesting for cheap even descent price is fine, as long as it durable and long lasting, not those ONN branded low quality at walmart.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1119 posts
475 upvotes
Ottawa
Dollarama or Dollar Tree?

=aw
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5496 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
aw1883 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 8:51 pm
Dollarama or Dollar Tree?

=aw
Are those any better than Onn branded at walmart?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1119 posts
475 upvotes
Ottawa
No idea, never bought one from WM. What problems are you experiencing?

I've never had a problem with the ones from the dollar stores, except for some reason years ago one of Dollar Tree's configurations (maybe A-B printer cable?) always failed. But it failed right from the store, not after use.

=aw
Jan 31, 2018
464 posts
354 upvotes
The problem with cables is that most people don't know what to look for.. so we get some really poor quality junk foisted on us. Lately I've even seen some good looking USB cables, ones that appear to be good quality but are not very good internally.

You can get quality cables locally but brick & mortar stores usually put outrageous prices on them. The best deals are buying a brand-name cable online e.g. Amazon. If you have an Amazon Prime membership (or try their free Prime trial) you get free same day or 2-day shipping. Whether you can get same day shipping depends on what postal code you are in.

I can recommend these cables, which I own. They are well made, have good strain relief (near the plugs where they fail most often). And proper 24 AWG power wires, so that they will charge at full speed. A lot of generic cables use thinner wires which won't charge at full speed and are also more prone to breaking. And yes, the 15' cable does rapid charge on my Samsung which is impressive. Most long cables won't do that.

If you're willing to spend three or four times as much you can get a better cable. But these are a good sweet spot, good quality, good price and should be durable.

Monoprice 3' micro USB cable $3.99
Monoprice 6' micro USB cable $4.99
Monoprice 15' micro USB cable $8.00
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1119 posts
475 upvotes
Ottawa
Also note primecables in Montreal sells some monoprice stuff. And their filter (after search) includes 24 AWG vs 28 AWG.

Normally requires a minimum for free shipping though they sometimes have an offer. And you can combine across their 3 sites to hit the minimum.

And 3.25% from GCR.

=aw
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5496 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
Onn branded usb cables at walmart are hit and miss.. i bought 2 cables and used Ampere app on phone, one cable was charging with 900+mA and other was only charging at 500+mA.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12360 posts
2892 upvotes
RFD
test9251 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 11:08 am
Onn branded usb cables at walmart are hit and miss.. i bought 2 cables and used Ampere app on phone, one cable was charging with 900+mA and other was only charging at 500+mA.
You should buy the ones at Dollar Tree (everything for $1.25) if you're on a budget. They have multiple colours and some even have bright LED lights in them. They are 1 meter length. Anyway they are marked as 1 AMP and the three I bought actually do charge at stated speed with the USB charge doctor device I have, and all have given no problems for the last 3 months.

If you want to spend a little more, the ones from Primecables are also good. But IMO the Dollar Tree ones are great for the price.
Jan 31, 2018
464 posts
354 upvotes
The Dollar Tree ones have a great price but they aren't well made. Don't expect them to be durable.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11659 posts
2681 upvotes
Montréal
No idea about ONN but their other brand Blackweb seems ok, been using this w/o any prbs:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/blackweb-3 ... 0187055216
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5496 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions. Will have to try different brands from now on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8812 posts
2214 upvotes
London
FWIW, you can get a bag of 10 micro-usb adapters on Ebay for <$2, which are useful if you have decent usb cables already.