Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4810 posts
722 upvotes
shushwap wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:53 pm
I was in Cuba a couple of years ago... The hotel I was at did have wired internet
Not in your room, though. Right?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Whatever you do, just don't use the 'internet stations' they set up for web browsing. Almost guaranteed you'll lose all of the accounts you access through them. IIRC hofo went down this past year because Howard was desperate and used an internet kiosk to check emails and the compromised email acct was used to hijack his domain.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3115 posts
320 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 3:18 pm
Not in your room, though. Right?
No not in the room...
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2195 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
ceredon wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 3:25 pm
Whatever you do, just don't use the 'internet stations' they set up for web browsing. Almost guaranteed you'll lose all of the accounts you access through them. IIRC hofo went down this past year because Howard was desperate and used an internet kiosk to check emails and the compromised email acct was used to hijack his domain.
Not sure what you mean. Internet stations in hotels or internet cafes are the only places to get internet, and I've never had a problem in over 12 years of Cuban (and Mexican) vacations. I use it to check my email which is my contact with family, so it's important to me. Some internet access could be suspect, but in my experience it has been fine.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 3:20 pm
Not sure what you mean. Internet stations in hotels or internet cafes are the only places to get internet, and I've never had a problem in over 12 years of Cuban (and Mexican) vacations. I use it to check my email which is my contact with family, so it's important to me. Some internet access could be suspect, but in my experience it has been fine.
That's great that it has worked out for you. The problem with these publicly accessible kiosks is that anyone can access them. That means you have no idea what sort of spyware is on them. They have long been known as great sources for personal data mining.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6388 posts
628 upvotes
Ontario
ceredon wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 3:37 pm
That's great that it has worked out for you. The problem with these publicly accessible kiosks is that anyone can access them. That means you have no idea what sort of spyware is on them. They have long been known as great sources for personal data mining.
Yup. Just because your browsing experience at these kinds of kiosks SEEMS normal, it doesn't mean there is nothing running in the background!
Be careful.
Aug 29, 2007
164 posts
11 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:09 am
Buy a sim in cuba with data and use fongo, slidecar, vonage, or any other of those voip apps that allow you to call back home free of charge. Hotels also have wifi so you can also connect there.

When I wad in hk I did exactly what I mentioned and used fongo and whatsapp to communicate back home for free.
my cell phone is samsung mini galaxy with mobilicity and has android 2.2,fongo doesn't support this versian,any idea which voip support it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
onlineharvest wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 4:13 pm
Yup. Just because your browsing experience at these kinds of kiosks SEEMS normal, it doesn't mean there is nothing running in the background!
Be careful.
I would be surprised if they didn't seem normal. I don't expect they put a big flashing sign over them saying "WE ARE LOGGING EVERYTHING YOU DO"

:D

As I mentioned, Howard from howardforums used one. I am sure he thought it seemed ok. He lost control of his business/site to some thugs in Asia or Australia and it tool a long time to try to get it back. All he had done was check an email account.
Penalty Box
Aug 7, 2011
5926 posts
758 upvotes
Vaughan
Sorry to resurrect, but I have the exact same question (except I have an N4).

Seems there's no way aside from the carrier plans? (mine being Rogers)

Curious, if I go the carrier package, what happens with roaming? And how would I be able to turn off data?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
squadz wrote:
Feb 25th, 2013 9:54 pm
Sorry to resurrect, but I have the exact same question (except I have an N4).

Seems there's no way aside from the carrier plans? (mine being Rogers)

Curious, if I go the carrier package, what happens with roaming? And how would I be able to turn off data?
Turn off data is easy, go to settings, then the option to view your data usage. There's a toggle to disable data.

The N4 should be able to roam, honestly, that's your best bet. Unless you need to make important calls, keep your calls short, and pay the per use rates. Wasting time with getting a cuban SIM is not worth the hassle.
If this post was helpful to you, click the "thanks" button.
Nov 16, 2007
171 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Do you REALLY need a phone down there?

When I go to cuba, I dont buy any plans. Texts are free if they are incoming - outbound is $0.75. Still cheaper than the per minute rate they want to charge.

No wifi in Cuba - at least where I have been. Wired internet is stupid slow. Usually about $6-7 CUC per 30 mins - takes 20 mins to load facebooks home page, hotmail, or gmail.

Not even worth it - sometimes its best to enjoy life without being connected to everyone else when you are down there.
Penalty Box
Aug 7, 2011
5926 posts
758 upvotes
Vaughan
dealer77 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2013 10:14 pm
Do you REALLY need a phone down there?

When I go to cuba, I dont buy any plans. Texts are free if they are incoming - outbound is $0.75. Still cheaper than the per minute rate they want to charge.

No wifi in Cuba - at least where I have been. Wired internet is stupid slow. Usually about $6-7 CUC per 30 mins - takes 20 mins to load facebooks home page, hotmail, or gmail.

Not even worth it - sometimes its best to enjoy life without being connected to everyone else when you are down there.
My family needs it to check back in at home. Actual uses, not Facebook.

To receive texts, you need to be roaming, which costs $$$ doesn't it? Need to see what Rogers says.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2006
1712 posts
124 upvotes
Opinions posted are that of my own and do not reflect that of any organization.

GTA AYCE Sushi Guide

What is a marriage if not an opportunity to mock someone through thick and thin while simultaneously exploring your deepest, darkest sexual desires - Californication.
Nov 30, 2011
607 posts
139 upvotes
EDMONTON
Telus no longer offers travel packs to Cuba so now I am stuck looking for something. Does anyone know of any pay as you go providers that will work down there for data , text, and calls.

Thanks
× < >