Cell Phones

Use old android phones still for anything? (Android 2.2)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2018 6:46 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9322 posts
919 upvotes
GTA

Use old android phones still for anything? (Android 2.2)

Have a few old phones that run on Android 2.2 . Can I load anything on them anymore or have the changes that came in 2018 from google made the devices useless? I don't have any apps on the phones now and I can't seem to find a place where I just say I have a "android 2.2" phone and it tells me which APKs might work. I am okay without having google play and just side loading.

Just want to double check all options before I bring these for e-waste. Ideally would be cool if I could load up some podcast software and/or video players, etc.
15 replies
Mar 7, 2017
594 posts
176 upvotes
Ham, ON
YLSF wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:50 pm
Have a few old phones that run on Android 2.2 . Can I load anything on them anymore or have the changes that came in 2018 from google made the devices useless? I don't have any apps on the phones now and I can't seem to find a place where I just say I have a "android 2.2" phone and it tells me which APKs might work. I am okay without having google play and just side loading.

Just want to double check all options before I bring these for e-waste. Ideally would be cool if I could load up some podcast software and/or video players, etc.
Alfred?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... u&hl=en_CA
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9322 posts
919 upvotes
GTA
DealFixation wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:53 pm
Alfred?
I don't think it supports Android 2.2. I looked on a site that had old APKs and it said you needed android 5.0 minimum.

I might have some older phones that are on lollipop so will look into running though on those.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15640 posts
5892 upvotes
Oakville
2.2 was released back in... 2010? I fear that even sites like APKMirror may not be holding on to archived APKs from that long ago... Granted, there would've been a period of X number of years after that where apps still worked on Froyo, but you may be out of luck. You could also check to see if there's custom ROMs available for the phones that offer you slightly newer versions of android?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1232 posts
827 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
wearysky wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 2:57 pm
2.2 was released back in... 2010? I fear that even sites like APKMirror may not be holding on to archived APKs from that long ago... Granted, there would've been a period of X number of years after that where apps still worked on Froyo, but you may be out of luck. You could also check to see if there's custom ROMs available for the phones that offer you slightly newer versions of android?
Yeah Froyo was released in May 2010, not even worth the search time at this point.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1046 posts
229 upvotes
Antarctica
Check out XDA forums first to see what is the latest custom ROM for those phones. If you can get to 5.0 then you have some chances.
May 17, 2008
167 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Not phone related...But I believe the infotainment system in most if not all of the current Infiniti lineup is Android 2.2 based.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11177 posts
1115 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
YLSF wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:50 pm
Ideally would be cool if I could load up some podcast software and/or video players, etc.
Should be doable, although my main phone is running 2.3, so I can't say for sure.

If people were listening to podcasts and watching video when 2.2 was current, then there should be apps out there that work. Obviously, hardware limitations are going to prevent you from going HD, but SD and audio should mostly be okay.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1337 posts
2772 upvotes
Pawtucket
I'm running Alfred on an old phone on 2.3 Gingerbread and it works fine. Guessing 2.2 may also work.

Just a note to those using Alfred, I noticed the batteries started to expand after prolonged use because the power is always plugged int. Could make for a potential fire hazard if they explode. I now use a smart plug to set the power to turn on/off at certain times to prevent the constant charging.
https://www.tp-link.com/ca/products/det ... HS105.html
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9322 posts
919 upvotes
GTA
rabbit wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 2:30 am

If people were listening to podcasts and watching video when 2.2 was current, then there should be apps out there that work. Obviously, hardware limitations are going to prevent you from going HD, but SD and audio should mostly be okay.
I guess my issue is I don't see an easy way to find an old version that runs on a certain level of Android. I.e. even on the old APK sites it will provide that info but I don't see way to filter by that information. I booted up an old tablet I had and it also has 2.2 and has Podcast Addict so I know I can use that version at least but when I search for apps in the Play store (that one is updated to Play, but phone still has market on it) it doesn't come up with most apps..

EDIT - I managed to download Google Play store off APKmirror (Google Play Store 3.7.13 (noarch) (nodpi) (Android 2.2+) ) and installed it and it upgraded market over to Playstore. Looks like apps are showing up now. Will see how things go.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9322 posts
919 upvotes
GTA
redboy69 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 1:38 pm
I'm running Alfred on an old phone on 2.3 Gingerbread and it works fine. Guessing 2.2 may also work.
Good tip about the battery/charging. Will keep that in mind for other phones. I will probably run Alfred on one of my older devices. I looked it up and the minimum is 2.3 Gingerbread but they recommend Android 4

https://alfred.camera/forum/t/froyo-and ... /1583574/3

I can't seem to find a working Gingerbread Rom for my phone (LG e720b). It is super old so I am okay if I can run a few other entertainment apps for now vs. sending it to e-waste
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3752 posts
693 upvotes
I use a Moto Atrix as my backup alarm clock; its speaker is quite loud. The battery capacity is quite low. I have timer set to recharge the phone twice a day. If the phone is plugged in all the time, the battery will die even sooner.
signature closed for renovation