Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto

use a tablet or car GPS

Have a medium sized sedan and need a car GPS.
I was wondering the pros and cons of buying a proprietary Garmin over buying a small Android tablet.
I don't have wireless/cellphone access.

any tips?
thanks.
tungustungustungus
29 replies
Jul 29, 2012
930 posts
336 upvotes
Alberta
So you're wondering what would make a better GPS between a tablet that won't be connected to an online mapping service and so can't give directions, or a GPS that will actually work? Idk tough decision
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
stonyboys wrote: So you're wondering what would make a better GPS between a tablet that won't be connected to an online mapping service and so can't give directions, or a GPS that will actually work? Idk tough decision
Do you realize there are tablets with 3G and GPS built in available in the market? You should had stopped banging your head on the wall when you were young. It hurts, both physically and mentally.
Nov 21, 2010
980 posts
593 upvotes
Canada
garyhudson wrote: Do you realize there are tablets with 3G and GPS built in available in the market? You should had stopped banging your head on the wall when you were young. It hurts.
Well the OP did say won't have cell/wireless access. That said, there are still mapping software solutions you can get from the Google Play Store that keeps it's entire mapping database on the device (the android tablet). I'd do research on the software of the respective units as opposed to hardware.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
likebutta wrote: Well the OP did say won't have cell/wireless access. That said, there are still mapping software solutions you can get from the Google Play Store that keeps it's entire mapping database on the device (the android tablet). I'd do research on the software of the respective units as opposed to hardware.
Well there are certain apps (paid) which allows the use of offline navigation. Google Maps needs data connection, so if the OP does not have that, he can only use offline maps in Google Map.
Jul 29, 2012
930 posts
336 upvotes
Alberta
garyhudson wrote: Do you realize there are tablets with 3G and GPS built in available in the market? You should had stopped banging your head on the wall when you were young. It hurts, both physically and mentally.
Not that I don't appreciate a complete idiot calling me dumb or anything... But maybe you should leave.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
A dedicated GPS will always be better than a tablet.

Both work well, but I find that a dedicated GPS is easier to use. A tablet requires data and if you're in the US then the Roaming rates will kill you. If you down load the maps into the tablet, it solves the data problem but why not just get a dedicated GPS? They're cheap enough.
Apr 18, 2010
578 posts
91 upvotes
I've tried both.
The advantage of the tablet is that you then have it for other uses. The huge disadvantage is either the requirement for data connection or having to by very expensive software like Navigon.

Frankly, a dedicated GPS has better software and so it much easier to use.

If your primary goal is a GPS, then buy a Garmin on sale and you'll be much happier with it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
GPS--cheaper, better. Though it would be more expensive if you bought an in-dash GPS which is even better than the suction-cup type.

However a portable GPS will be better offline, be more accurate, and use less battery power than a tablet. If you have a car power adapter then battery won't be an issue but yeah I know the GPS feature of my phone drains the battery like you wouldn't believe so I'd imagine on a tablet it would be similar.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
stonyboys wrote: Not that I don't appreciate a complete idiot calling me dumb or anything... But maybe you should leave.
Riiiiight. Says the on9 person who gave that unintelligent answer above. Just face your errors, collect skin and move on.

As for the OP, I agree on a dedicated GPS as well. These things are designed to withstand the heat of working under the sun for a long time, whereas a tablet may not be designed as such. Most of the time, dedicated GPS have richer functions, faster GPS lockon and better navigation logic.
Feb 19, 2012
569 posts
39 upvotes
MARKHAM
I'd go with the dedicated units personally, even though in theory the tablet with wifi tether is superior as you get live Google traffic etc.

I used my SGS3 as GPS once....it ran super hot and the car charger couldn't actually keep up. Unbelievable. Can't remember if I was running custom firmware at the time or not.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
1. If you don't have data a tablet will be useless unless you are within Wifi. Additionally, it will be useless in the US if you travel or other countries.
2. A GPS is designed for that specifically and offers features that a tablet (or phone) cannot offer through the manufacture such as Garmin. They have mapping, points of interest, and software and hardware features that a phone/tablet cannot or does not do. While a phone or tablet can do some of things a GPS can it cannot do everything as it wasn't designed for that. On that note would you use a GPS to make a phone call?
3. If you don't have a smart phone (with data) I don't see why you are even considering a tablet. Even if you did I wouldn't do it.

www.GPScity.ca would be a good start.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
Lumber-jack wrote: 1. If you don't have data a tablet will be useless unless you are within Wifi. Additionally, it will be useless in the US if you travel or other countries.
2. A GPS is designed for that specifically and offers features that a tablet (or phone) cannot offer through the manufacture such as Garmin. They have mapping, points of interest, and software and hardware features that a phone/tablet cannot or does not do. While a phone or tablet can do some of things a GPS can it cannot do everything as it wasn't designed for that. On that note would you use a GPS to make a phone call?
3. If you don't have a smart phone (with data) I don't see why you are even considering a tablet. Even if you did I wouldn't do it.

A GPS meant for north america is also useless overseas. A GPS does not magically draw maps for you for where you are in the world, it also uses offline maps that are stored in internal memory. Offline GPS solutions for the tablet also offer the other features that you mention, it all depends on the software mostly.
A regular GPS usually will give you free lifetime map updates, most tablet/phone software that are the good ones (Navigon, TomTom, Garmin) do not do this, iirc. This is a major advantage for a GPS.
Never used the GPS on the tablet for long but it does seem to drain the battery as expected. On the phone, it definitely drains it quickly. I only use offline GPS on the tablet/phone.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3129 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
I've used both over the years, from a Tom Tom to Pioneer F500BT to now my Samsung Galaxy W with iGo Primo. If you have a decent cell phone there's really no reason to get a dedicated GPS, just plug in the phone if you're worried about battery usage, only thing I'm really missing with my phone over the Pioneer (my last GPS) is screen size (3.7" vs 5.8"). I'd say if you're really going to use a GPS on a daily basis then get a dedicated, if you're like me and use it once in a while then a phone or even a 7" tablet (do they make mounts for these?!) would do the trick.
The only thing worse than human ignorance is human pride in that ignorance.
Jun 20, 2004
183 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Lumber-jack wrote: 1. If you don't have data a tablet will be useless unless you are within Wifi. Additionally, it will be useless in the US if you travel or other countries.

Not true. My phone and tablet was fine using Sygic when I was in Barcelona. In fact, with other supporting traveling apps, being a tourist was a whole lot easier. No data involved as POI's were part of the software. GPS would be useless unless you're traveling in a car.

I use my phone as an in car GPS. A couple caveats:
1) It drains faster than it can charge when playing music/navigation/screen on as someone had mentioned earlier.
b) Note that Google Map does not allow offline map for all countries. Spain was one of these.
iii) Using navigation while traveling, buy extra battery!

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Ha ... 2aeb46.jpg[/IMG]
Nov 15, 2006
533 posts
108 upvotes
A Nokia tablet would've been great for this. Offline, turn by turn navigation for almost 100 countries.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
lots of people have moved to smartphone maps such as google maps. Since it offers caching, all you do is go to some place that has free wifi like starbucks. Then make your trip.
As for me I still go with garmin. Free lifetime update and traffic, can't beat that for driving long distance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
If you need a GPS then get a real GPS. No tablet software will match the power of a dedicated GPS. Esp high end ones like the Garmin 3597 with multi-touch screen, voice command, red light camera warning and HD traffic.

But a tablet has a lot more other uses - no dedicated GPS, for example, will let you play angry birds. If all you need is something to determine your present location and draw road maps based on your present location or do simple route planning, then a real GPS is just overkill. Just keep in mind that you'll be fidgeting with multiple software, some may not work 100%, pay for data plans while you're using it on the road, etc.

Bottom line, you need to determine how much you need out of a GPS. And buy accordingly.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Just get a GPS you can buy them for like 40 bucks...a tablet is much more expensive and if you're only looking for something to give you directions it would be quite silly to buy it just for that.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Make it safer for everyone on the road and use a dedicated gps. A 7" tablet takes up so much space of your view making you a danger to everyone on the road.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)