Use a US or Canadian Paypal account?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 2:12 pm
Feb 18, 2014
113 posts
13 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:32 am
Could you elaborate on this part more (USD acc in CA bank credited by a US customer via CC payment)? Why it would look like a US bank transaction for the customer's CC issuer bank?
From the customer's perspective, it will look like a domestic transaction. No additional fees incurred. Therefore, Whether or not the customer's bank recognizes where the merchant account originates, is irrelevant.
[OP]
May 20, 2012
79 posts
6 upvotes
VANCOUVER
gamechanger wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:00 pm
From the customer's perspective, it will look like a domestic transaction. No additional fees incurred. Therefore, Whether or not the customer's bank recognizes where the merchant account originates, is irrelevant.
This is not always correct. A US credit card company will see that the payment processor is Paypal Canada. Occasionally they will block the payment, and sometimes they will add a foreign transaction fee. That has been my experience.
Feb 18, 2014
113 posts
13 upvotes
van800 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:05 pm
This is not always correct. A US credit card company will see that the payment processor is Paypal Canada. Occasionally they will block the payment, and sometimes they will add a foreign transaction fee. That has been my experience.
I'm not doubting you. My point is that the issues you are describing are unique to PayPal and perhaps other aggregators. This issue would not come up if you process through a regular merchant account.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel