Computers & Electronics

Use a webhosting service as a DNS to connect to a remote desktop?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2014 10:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4345 posts
444 upvotes
GTA

Use a webhosting service as a DNS to connect to a remote desktop?

Not sure that the right place to post this or even if my question makes sense but ill give it a shot.

Currently im using the free host name with dyn.com to connect to my homes ip address so that i can remote in to my desktop using the host name instead of the ip. Today i got an email from dyn.com that they are stopping the free service and if i want to keep using it i should buy the pro account.
I also have a web hosting account with arvixe.com which allows for unlimited domains/sub-domains.
My question is, and please bare in mind that im not very tech savvy, can i use my web hosting account to somehow replicate what dyn.com was offering? essentially i want to be able to type in an address in the remote desktop application instead of an IP address.
14 replies
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
You would have to bind your home IP to the domain-subdomain in order to do this.
What exactly are you doing on your desktop? Is it just a webpage you are accessing or is it the whole PC?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4345 posts
444 upvotes
GTA
what do you mean by bind?

I want to be able to use the Windows Remote Desktop tool to connect to a pc at home as a remote user (whole pc)
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
urir10 wrote: what do you mean by bind?

I want to be able to use the Windows Remote Desktop tool to connect to a pc at home as a remote user (whole pc)
Use Teamviewer. Its free, and a lot better then WRD. Also you don't need to remember a name or IP to use. Small and light weight
Feb 14, 2013
174 posts
24 upvotes
Earache wrote: Use Teamviewer. Its free, and a lot better then WRD. Also you don't need to remember a name or IP to use. Small and light weight
+1

for extra security, host a virtual machine using virtualbox and only allow teamviewer connections to the VM. If you need access to specific files you can use dropbox. For access to specific programs, just install them on the VM
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
OP, who is your ISP?

Rogers gives a hostname to every modem and IP address.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4345 posts
444 upvotes
GTA
im with Tek Savvy.

Teamviewer is great but i cannot install it at work but im ok with using remote access thou
Sep 25, 2002
227 posts
127 upvotes
If you can't install Team Viewer at work, why not just use RemoteApp and/or Desktop Connections, which are built right into Windows? They'll be there by default. I'm assuming you're running Windows machines at home and work.

I'm not very familiar with using Windows remote connections, but here's a brief tutorial: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 16759.aspx

By the way, anyone who can find dyn.com in the first place, knows how to log in remotely and has actually used TeamViewer IS tech-savvy. More tech-savvy than 99.9% of computer users.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4345 posts
444 upvotes
GTA
MtlWriterguy wrote: If you can't install Team Viewer at work, why not just use RemoteApp and/or Desktop Connections, which are built right into Windows? They'll be there by default. I'm assuming you're running Windows machines at home and work.

I'm not very familiar with using Windows remote connections, but here's a brief tutorial: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 16759.aspx

By the way, anyone who can find dyn.com in the first place, knows how to log in remotely and has actually used TeamViewer IS tech-savvy. More tech-savvy than 99.9% of computer users.
Please read my question, im not asking on how to remote in but whether or not i can use my web hosting account as a DNS host name for my ip
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
urir10 wrote: Please read my question, im not asking on how to remote in but whether or not i can use my web hosting account as a DNS host name for my ip
Assuming your hosting your DNS through your webhost then yes. Kind of.
If your IP changes frequently you won't be able to access it until you change the IP bound to the subdomain.
It's not the most elegant solution, but it works.
Feb 25, 2009
535 posts
109 upvotes
Montreal
I'm in the same situation. I'm working in IT/Development domain. I can say that solution can not work because you don't have much control on the DNS server. I have made some researches and found this list:
http://www.gnutomorrow.com/best-free-dy ... s-in-2013/

I have tried the first one DNSExit, but I have changed for no-ip.com, it's up and worked within 10min. The reason I choose no-ip is it's built-n on my router as with dyndns so I don't need to install a client program on my machine. I found the DNSExit.com is very interestering because you can pay to use their DNS with your first level domain name and use with a dynamic IP.

It seems that DNSExit and noip were slower than dyndns when using to make connection with RDP .
Jun 15, 2009
764 posts
217 upvotes
Earache wrote: Use Teamviewer. Its free, and a lot better then WRD. Also you don't need to remember a name or IP to use. Small and light weight
This is in no way better then RDP (or WRD, whatever you want to call it). I've tried it and performance is on par with VNC (which is to say not great). I've yet to see any remote access application that has encrypted connection with better compression and performance then RDP on Windows. File and printer sharing is really nice as well as clipboard integration. You can even copy/paste smaller files right into the RDP session. And it supports windows security and authentication, meaning your access credentials are not gonna be on some random company's website and can be compromised.

As for OP's question, you can't do it. You said yourself you are not very tech savvy and the effort required to do so is pretty big. Use one of the many free services equivalent to dyndns that were already suggested in this thread...
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4345 posts
444 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the info ill try the free ones
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
censored wrote: This is in no way better then RDP (or WRD, whatever you want to call it). I've tried it and performance is on par with VNC (which is to say not great). I've yet to see any remote access application that has encrypted connection with better compression and performance then RDP on Windows. File and printer sharing is really nice as well as clipboard integration. You can even copy/paste smaller files right into the RDP session. And it supports windows security and authentication, meaning your access credentials are not gonna be on some random company's website and can be compromised.

As for OP's question, you can't do it. You said yourself you are not very tech savvy and the effort required to do so is pretty big. Use one of the many free services equivalent to dyndns that were already suggested in this thread...
I totally agree, Teamviewer is terrible. Who still uses flash in this day and age.

I gave up on the free services a long time ago. If you just need one domain done, then I guess it is fine, but I remote into a lot of machines so I pay for a service and get unlimited domains.