Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
664 posts
24 upvotes
Courtice

Used car advice needed

I have a friend who has a car that is in desperate need of almost a $1000 of work on her car. The car is not worth repairing. She almost got suckered into buying a car she did not even like due to the fact she needs one asap. She knows nothing about cars and has a limited budget. I have offered to look online at some examples of what she can afford. Before I do would you think it is possible to get a decent reliable car for $11,000 or under? If we find one I will take it to my mechanic to go over before she buys.

I was going to look at Hyundai Accents or something similar. I have a Hyundai Elantra Limited and have had a Hyundai Accent in the past and never had a problem with them.

So really I am asking if $11,000 would be enough to get a car that would last at least 5/6 more years.

Thank you.
24 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4288 upvotes
If she can save up another $10,000 within the next year then she can get a new Hyundai Elantra that will serve her at least 10 years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8195 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Can I ask why the first car is not worth repairing? Is there any other significant problem except that repair? I ask because if $1000 say gets you another year or two out of the car, it might be worth it if your market is used cars (which might come with their own set of problems). Even a new car will net you a couple hundred a month in payments, which is significantly more than a one-time lump sum of $1000.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
664 posts
24 upvotes
Courtice
Thank you for your quick replies. She definitely can't save up $10,000 in the next year. She is a single parent with limited funds. The car she has right now is a 2006 and used before she got it. She has already poured money into it and it sounds like the mechanics told her that even after these repairs it is going to be a money pit.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
664 posts
24 upvotes
Courtice
ok I am mistaken, she was told it would cost $1,600 to get it safely back on the road and then still be a money pit.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8195 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Well you have to run the numbers. I myself drive a 16 year old German car and I've also put some money into it, but when I compared the cost of buying a new car, the numbers didn't add up for me. Even a low cost car at $300/month would add up to $3600/year which is less than what I paid in maintenance last year on the car. Not to mention there would be insurance increases and such (old cars have surprisingly low insurance rates where I live).

Anyways all I'm saying is to run the numbers to be certain. It's easy to think "oh I put money into the car so it's not good anymore". Your current posts state she cannot save $10,000 so that means her budget is probably used vehicles...which might also develop their own issues with time...
May 23, 2007
385 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa
Get a Yaris if your on a budget.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
664 posts
24 upvotes
Courtice
Yes, I understand and it makes sense. I am wondering if I should take it to my reliable mechanic and see what he thinks.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1204 upvotes
aGincourt
You can get another car to last 5-6 years on a 5k budget... just have to be smart and know what to look for
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
664 posts
24 upvotes
Courtice
You have all been very helpful. I will look into all your answers. I don't know anything about cars either. Just that dealerships are places of pure evil lol I always research things though. I just want to help her if I can.

Thank you all again.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6971 posts
1448 upvotes
Mississauga
onepixel wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 8:56 pm
Yes, I understand and it makes sense. I am wondering if I should take it to my reliable mechanic and see what he thinks.
Yes take it to your mechanic and get a second opinion. She might be able to delay some repairs.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
664 posts
24 upvotes
Courtice
Thank you. Lots to think about.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
664 posts
24 upvotes
Courtice
Just one more question.. if she did go down the used car road what is the highest km's she should stay under? I know it will be different for each car for just an example would be a help.