• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2015 11:07 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2014
37 posts
Mississauga, ON

Used car from Quebec? Caution???

No offence to people live in Quebec, but I heard lots of rumors regard on Quebec used cars....

Any suggestion?
23 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
I think the issue is that a car's history is limited to the province it is registered to.
Quebec is singled out because this forum is mostly populated by Ontarians, their main source of out-of-province used cars is Quebec.
Quebec buyers can say the same warnings about buying a used car from Ontario, as the provincial vehicle history will be a blank slate to a car that came from elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
OP is on a roll with new threads
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Yes, do not buy from Quebec, all cars here are crap and self destruct as soon as they are sold in Ontario.

Next thread OP....
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
So how do people from Quebec do it? Do they buy cars from Ontario?
Jul 16, 2008
898 posts
249 upvotes
The only caution with Quebec-based cars is that we use a lot of salt on our roads during winter. However, that is like the case in Ontario as well?!?
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Shawns13 wrote: The only caution with Quebec-based cars is that we use a lot of salt on our roads during winter. However, that is like the case in Ontario as well?!?
Parts of Ontario, yes, but RFD is a Toronto centric, or center of the world, thinking crowd. Toronto is much more south, so they don't salt the road as much as in QC.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
Bill 101 says you have to be fully bilingual in order to buy a Quebec car.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
mikeymike1 wrote: Bill 101 says you have to be fully bilingual in order to buy a Quebec car.
No, if you only speak French, you're okay.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bear in mind Quebec cars requires a special blend of blinker fluid. Stock up at the Tire d'Canadienne before you drive back to Ontario, you can't get it here and you'll be SOL when you find your blinkers crap out on you.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
yea. don't buy Quebec made cars. It has poutine smell inside.

TeddyKang wrote: No offence to people live in Quebec, but I heard lots of rumors regard on Quebec used cars....

Any suggestion?
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
stt55pot wrote: yea. don't buy Quebec made cars. It has poutine smell inside.
That's a bad thing?
May 14, 2012
398 posts
94 upvotes
PICKERING
My understanding, and you can do a google search to get more information, is that unlike Ontario, Carproof and Carfax do not receive reliable accident reports for vehicles insured in Quebec. Basically if a car was insured in Quebec and was in an accident it is likely not to appear on a Carfax report. This also applies in Manitoba and to a certain extent Saskatchewan and there are some limitations in BC. This is also an issue for fleet vehicles (e.g. rentals) where the company self insures (i.e. they don't have third party collision) and thus any accidents would not appear in a Carproof/Carfax report. This is why consumers should be more diligent in their pre purchase inspections of Quebec vehicles.
Jan 1, 2008
860 posts
139 upvotes
Blainville
In Quebec, we fear used car from Ontario...

The real reason is that the history of the car usually don't follow and a lot of them have the odometer rolled back.

The issue is not that it come from Quebec, it's that it come from another province.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
shingor6 wrote: In Quebec, we fear used car from Ontario...

The real reason is that the history of the car usually don't follow and a lot of them have the odometer rolled back.

The issue is not that it come from Quebec, it's that it come from another province.
Was just checking craigslist Montreal and they have fair number of low priced low mileage offerings which make it quite beleivable that odometers are ebing rolled back even if this is not the case.

I don't understand why carproof/ vehicle history would be blank to an out of province buyer though.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
dudeexcellent wrote: ....This is also an issue for fleet vehicles (e.g. rentals) where the company self insures (i.e. they don't have third party collision) and thus any accidents would not appear in a Carproof/Carfax report. This is why consumers should be more diligent in their pre purchase inspections ...
OP - this is also applicable to your other thread on buying ex-rental cars
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
gh05t wrote: I don't understand why carproof/ vehicle history would be blank to an out of province buyer though.
It's not that this information isn't supplied to buyers in Ontario, it's that Quebec just doesn't collect the same information as other provinces. CarProof can't supply information that simply isn't available to them.

Eg, odometer readings aren't collected at renewal in Quebec, and not all collisions are entered into a central insurance database like they are in Ontario.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
At least Quebec don't forge fake documents or try to tamper with odometers. I heard Ontario sellers do that and lost of curbsider sellers too

CorSter wrote: It's not that this information isn't supplied to buyers in Ontario, it's that Quebec just doesn't collect the same information as other provinces. CarProof can't supply information that simply isn't available to them.

Eg, odometer readings aren't collected at renewal in Quebec, and not all collisions are entered into a central insurance database like they are in Ontario.
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.