• Jan 16th, 2018 8:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1099 posts
391 upvotes
, ON

Used lens inspection

I am looking to buy an E mount lens that is advertised as brand new from Kijiji. Since I have never bought a used one before, it will give me a peace of mind if it gets inspected profesionnaly before I buy it.

Does anyone know if Henry's stores provide inspection on used lense for free or at a cost if I meet the seller at a Henry's store? Anyone has any experience with this?
4 replies
Aug 1, 2010
807 posts
373 upvotes
Montreal
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:22 am
I am looking to buy an E mount lens that is advertised as brand new from Kijiji. Since I have never bought a used one before, it will give me a peace of mind if it gets inspected profesionnaly before I buy it.

Does anyone know if Henry's stores provide inspection on used lense for free or at a cost if I meet the seller at a Henry's store? Anyone has any experience with this?
They have no reason to inspect a lens that is not bought from them. Just try it on your camera, make sure autofocus and paerture control works, check for dusts.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7139 posts
1180 upvotes
Lens are relatively durable, that is why you see used one for sale anyway, even online.

I wouldn't be too concern especially if the lens is pretty new, just go through the steps in the video and inspect yourself, cause even if you could hire someone, they will be doing the same things and you probably would be more cautious.

If the lens looks new, you may be able to ease off on his suggestion on extensive testing but do the full 6 steps at least.
-Visual Inspection for Damages
-Front Element & Coating
-Look Through the Lens
-Check the Mount & Flex
-Test Shots
-Examine the Test shots
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1082 posts
157 upvotes
Bedford
Good advice here. I have probably purchased a dozen used lenses over the years , no issues whatever. With the one damaged lens I did purchase, the seller disclosed the damage. That was akit lens/body, I was really just purchasing to get a backup body.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1099 posts
391 upvotes
, ON
Thanks all! I did meet him at Henry's and the staff was willing to help to inspect it as "education opportunity" only. It is YMMV though. When I phoned in, I was told straight up that no way they will do it even for a fee.

I just dropped in and told them that I just spent my money at Henry's, and I need them to help me to show how to check used lenses. We used the lens that I was buying from kijiji as the example. :P

I got Sony 10-18 mm literally BNIB for $700. How do you guys think I did?