• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2016 3:13 am
Tags:
None
Jan 27, 2016
29 posts

Used RX 350 or New outback 3.6 limited

Hi all,

would you buy a used Lexus RX 350 at ~110,000 km (2011) for 23k or brand new outback 3.6 for 41k. I can not decide and this is going to be my first car. What car do you recommend for young engineer in his 20s if the budget is 42k for financing and 26k for cash!

Thanks,
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
For any used car, you will have to do lots of diligent research , such as carproof, service history, what kind of parts replacement you may need to do to the car (brakes, tires, fluid, spark plugs, belts, etc) right away and associated costs you need to add to your budget, any need to buy extended warranty. Therefore, a full ppi is mandatory before buying any used car.
Dec 25, 2006
750 posts
785 upvotes
Winnipeg
Used outback 3.6r with half the kilometers of the Lexus for the same money :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
i think the outback is actually a nicer car -- so i'd buy that

no way i'd consider a 6 year old car out of warranty versus it.

even today when brand new i don't think the rx350 (a glorified camry) has the neat stuff the subaru has (isight)
Feb 26, 2007
172 posts
106 upvotes
For peace of mind in the coming years, spend 40k for a 2,3 y/o RX 350 with average 30k-40k km would worth best in my experience. Anyway, its an RX not RS
Feb 26, 2007
172 posts
106 upvotes
milolai wrote: i think the outback is actually a nicer car -- so i'd buy that

no way i'd consider a 6 year old car out of warranty versus it.

even today when brand new i don't think the rx350 (a glorified camry) has the neat stuff the subaru has (isight)
Subaru is a very good car but well known for transmission problems, bad gas mileage based on Full time 4WD and much rougher ride than others.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
From CR : "We also tested the 3.6R Limited, with its 3.6-liter six-cylinder and found it transforms the car, with much more gratifying acceleration and even less noise, which makes the wagon more refined. It's three seconds quicker to 60 mph, and still gets 22 mpg, which is better than any non-hybrid midsized SUV." " "The Outback rides very comfortably, muting bumps and absorbing ruts impressively. The tall body can occasionally magnify side-to-side ride motions. The highway ride is mostly smooth sailing. "he Outback is very quiet inside, with only muted road and wind noise, and an agreeable, relaxed engine hum, even in the four-cylinder. The elevated suspension and the roof rack add a bit of wind rush, but overall it is as quiet and civil as some pricey competitors including the Audi Allroad, Volvo XC70, and Toyota Venza.

hct398 wrote: Subaru is a very good car but well known for transmission problems, bad gas mileage based on Full time 4WD and much rougher ride than others.
Mar 2, 2015
804 posts
161 upvotes
Edmonton
How much do you plan on driving? If your going to be driving a lot 20,000+ km a year, then get the Subaru, if not, then get the Lexus. My parents bought the RX with 119,000 km on it, and they drove it only 50,000 km on it so far in 4 years. Thing with RX is that is far smooth, and not very sporty. But still a good buy, but I wouldnt recommend it for a young guy (its bit boring to drive). You should look into the first generation Acura Rdx, it has twin turbo and much funner to drive, cheaper than Lexus as well. I also recommend looking at Infiniti Fx (its bit of a gas guzzler), but probably the closest you will get to a German ride like feeling.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)