• Nov 24th, 2010 3:03 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 6, 2007
365 posts
11 upvotes
Durham

Used Toys - Where to donate?

I have quite a few used toys I would like to donate, all in good condition.

I know places like the Diabetes Assoc. don't pick-up used toys - are there any other organizations that do?

I would prefer an origination that picks-up donations from your home.

Anyone?
12 replies
Aug 7, 2007
383 posts
I don't know if they pick-up, but I'm sure Goodwill/Value Village will be more than happy to accept anything.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1631 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
life_isgood wrote:
Dec 13th, 2009 8:44 pm
I don't know if they pick-up, but I'm sure Goodwill/Value Village will be more than happy to accept anything.
+1.

These organization/stores have quite a few convenient locations.

OP can also post on Craigslist for sale for real cheap (or for free) and people will come to pick them up at your convenience.

I personally don't like freecycle as I remember I got way too many unwanted emails by signing up.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1913 posts
41 upvotes
Youl could also take it into Once Up a Child and get some money for it as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2921 posts
2293 upvotes
Toronto
life_isgood wrote:
Dec 13th, 2009 8:44 pm
Actually, Goodwill officially won't accept toys for kids under 3, including infant toys. Basically, there's so many standards for these toys and thus recalls (lead, small parts to swallow, etc.) that they don't want to accept and sell anything that might have been recalled and they don't have the resources to check everything. See here for their list:

http://www.goodwill.on.ca/2006_whattodonate.html

However, if you drop off a bag of used toys without any packaging, it's probably difficult for them to determine what the age range is unless they're obviously infant toys, so they'll probably still put them up for sale. They don't do pickup, however (at least in Toronto).

Any careful daycare/charity should also have similar rules, so your best bet to get rid of them is the freecycle/Kijiji/Craigslist route. Not going to charity, but at least to someone who could use them...
May 21, 2008
306 posts
8 upvotes
Bump -- with the Christmas season upon us, I'm wondering if anyone can benefit from some very lightly used toys and books. I'll do Value Village as a last resort...
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
46 upvotes
I believe the Women In Need stores do pick up. Not sure if you have one in your area.

Also you can post on kijiji or craigslist or freecycle.... with the christmas season upon us - people who cant afford toys would certainly rather pick up from you than go to Value Village and purchase from them!!!

You can bundle your toys and give as a set, so clear it out faster
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3721 posts
222 upvotes
jm1 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2009 10:14 am
Actually, Goodwill officially won't accept toys for kids under 3, including infant toys. Basically, there's so many standards for these toys and thus recalls (lead, small parts to swallow, etc.) that they don't want to accept and sell anything that might have been recalled and they don't have the resources to check everything. See here for their list:

http://www.goodwill.on.ca/2006_whattodonate.html

However, if you drop off a bag of used toys without any packaging, it's probably difficult for them to determine what the age range is unless they're obviously infant toys, so they'll probably still put them up for sale. They don't do pickup, however (at least in Toronto).

Any careful daycare/charity should also have similar rules, so your best bet to get rid of them is the freecycle/Kijiji/Craigslist route. Not going to charity, but at least to someone who could use them...
it seems pretty sad to have to landfill all this stuff that can not be used or that can be given away, however, at a much higher level of effort.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6210 posts
79 upvotes
Check with a local daycare, they usually know a few family in need. Even if they can't accept some of the stuff (ie: old crib, car seat, ..) the family can usually grab it from you directly. I gave all my baby stuff like this and it ended up being spread across a few families in need.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
31 upvotes
depending on where you live, you could leave them on your curbside and they will be gone in no time.
shaka braddah!
May 3, 2009
255 posts
20 upvotes
Markham
Rose of Durham would probably appreciate a donation of baby toys
Sep 30, 2001
25652 posts
4871 upvotes
The Ford dealership near yonge/steeles is accepting (I believe used) toy donations (and each donation gets you an entry for a prize)
Don't talk about it, be about it
× < >