Personal Finance

Useful Credit Cards and Rewards Document

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2014 12:58 pm
Oct 4, 2012
7 posts
Prince George
"Canadian Tire Mastercard - Options or Cash back version: $0 annual fee. You can pay your bills online using this credit card! This is the only card out there that allows you to pay bills without considering it a cash advance - so this is the biggest reason for carrying this card."

I do have two VISA CCs from Scotiabank, and pay bills online (mostly using ScotiaGold Passport VISA). I don't think they consider it as a cash advance either. Correct me if I am wrong.
Aug 31, 2012
111 posts
25 upvotes
syphone wrote:
Oct 8th, 2012 3:16 pm
"Canadian Tire Mastercard - Options or Cash back version: $0 annual fee. You can pay your bills online using this credit card! This is the only card out there that allows you to pay bills without considering it a cash advance - so this is the biggest reason for carrying this card."

I do have two VISA CCs from Scotiabank, and pay bills online (mostly using ScotiaGold Passport VISA). I don't think they consider it as a cash advance either. Correct me if I am wrong.
You are wrong, at least according to the information in the Scotiabank online banking. In the online banking help, the answer to the question "What happens when I pay a bill using my Scotiabank Credit Card or ScotiaLine account?" is "When you pay a bill using your Scotiabank Credit Card or ScotiaLine account the payment is treated as a cash advance and is subject the same conditions associated with a cash advance from that account.".
Oct 4, 2012
7 posts
Prince George
sciencegirl wrote:
Oct 8th, 2012 3:59 pm
You are wrong, at least according to the information in the Scotiabank online banking. In the online banking help, the answer to the question "What happens when I pay a bill using my Scotiabank Credit Card or ScotiaLine account?" is "When you pay a bill using your Scotiabank Credit Card or ScotiaLine account the payment is treated as a cash advance and is subject the same conditions associated with a cash advance from that account.".
Indeed you are correct! I called the VISA center and the agent told me that it is a cash advance... I better go over my past statements.
Jul 4, 2006
147 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm currently looking for a travel rewards CC, is the Capital One Aspire TRAVEL World MC still the best option?
I also don't have a AMEX card yet, so I was thinking of getting the american express gold rewards instead
[OP]
Dec 2, 2007
157 posts
22 upvotes
Regina
yahi wrote:
Sep 18th, 2012 9:09 am
Cool doc, I think you could data-mine my site for more info :) wait, is that bad for me to suggest?

Anyways I noticed you're missing Scotia which has a very competitive card vs. the popular mbna, and some good travel cards
I don't see any reason to offer Scotia cards in my document at this point. If you can give me a specific reason to include them then I'll add it but I can't see any reason at this point.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2007
157 posts
22 upvotes
Regina
I would like to update this document - does anyone have suggestions for credit card products they suggest are worth looking at that aren't already part of the document (see OP for link to document).
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1270 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
useful document, thanks for po
[OP]
Dec 2, 2007
157 posts
22 upvotes
Regina
Document updated, Including some bank account info now as well. Still work to do but I hope it helps some people!