• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2019 11:52 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1965 posts
333 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
hi guys,

I am just dipping my toes in to usenet and still figuring this stuff out.

What is the difference between a site like NZBgeek and viper news? I see on one we can search but the other there is no searching which confuses the heck out of me.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14452 posts
5383 upvotes
Gatineau
Mr_Dogg wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:08 am
hi guys,

I am just dipping my toes in to usenet and still figuring this stuff out.

What is the difference between a site like NZBgeek and viper news? I see on one we can search but the other there is no searching which confuses the heck out of me.
NZKBeek is a Usenet "Indexer" where ViperNews is a Usenet "Provider". You need both (Indexer + Provider) to use usenet efficiently.

djino
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3285 posts
428 upvotes
Kingston
djino wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:10 am
NZKBeek is a Usenet "Indexer" where ViperNews is a Usenet "Provider". You need both (Indexer + Provider) to use usenet efficiently.

djino
Just to expand on what djino said.... Putting it in very basic terms so everybody understands (not meaning to belittle anyone here)

Imagine you have internet through Bell or Rogers, now how do you access the internet now that you are connected? You need some kind of web browser to then go online and start searching right? Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc will do the job. Understand so far?

ViperNews is like Bell/Rogers, it allows you to download content, however with out a web browser (aka NZBGeek) you can't access that content. NZBGeek is a basically a browser (indexer) that shows you everything that is available on that site to download. ViperNews actually downloads that content through Geek. Geek doesn't actually host the files, it just connects you to them.

One thing that djino forgot to mention is the Newsreader, which communicates between Viper and Geek. Sabnzbd is one of the more popular newsreaders that ppl use. You will need a newsreader in order to download any content off Geek. No newsreader, no content downloaded
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1965 posts
333 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
djino wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:10 am

djino
kcorscadden wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:13 am
Just to expand on what djino said.... Putting it in very basic terms so everybody understands (not meaning to belittle anyone here)

Imagine you have internet through Bell or Rogers, now how do you access the internet now that you are connected? You need some kind of web browser to then go online and start searching right? Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc will do the job. Understand so far?

ViperNews is like Bell/Rogers, it allows you to download content, however with out a web browser (aka NZBGeek) you can't access that content. NZBGeek is a basically a browser (indexer) that shows you everything that is available on that site to download. ViperNews actually downloads that content through Geek. Geek doesn't actually host the files, it just connects you to them.

One thing that djino forgot to mention is the Newsreader, which communicates between Viper and Geek. Sabnzbd is one of the more popular newsreaders that ppl use. You will need a newsreader in order to download any content off Geek. No newsreader, no content downloaded
Thank you very much! Actually appreciate the simple explanation.

I think I managed to get everything up and running. Got a month membership with nzbGeek and Vipernews and have it all set up with Sonarr, Radarr and Sabnzb
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1965 posts
333 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
A few questions:

Some of the providers have plans like: 50 Connections at 10Mbit or 10 Connections at 1Mbit.
Is that the speed per connection or total together?
If I sign up for 50 Connections at 10Mbit, does that mean it COULD potentially download at 50 * 10Mbit? It all 50 pieces download 10Mbit connections?

Do you recommend using a VPN? Right now it all goes through a VPN but I usually only get a max of 10 - 20MB/s via VPN, when my connection can go up to 100MB/s. without the VPN.
I mean 10-20 is fast enough for me but just curious.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9414 posts
972 upvotes
GTA
Mr_Dogg wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:01 pm
Do you recommend using a VPN?
Personally I don't use VPN with Usenet. I think most providers offer SSL and from what I understand your internet provider can't see what you are downloading with it. It isn't like torrents.

I am definitely not an expert but I think the general consensus is that VPN isn't needed for Usenet in Canada. You will get all kinds of ads for VPNs though because that is how these blogs/etc make money nowadays.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3285 posts
428 upvotes
Kingston
Mr_Dogg wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:01 pm
A few questions:

Some of the providers have plans like: 50 Connections at 10Mbit or 10 Connections at 1Mbit.
Is that the speed per connection or total together?
If I sign up for 50 Connections at 10Mbit, does that mean it COULD potentially download at 50 * 10Mbit? It all 50 pieces download 10Mbit connections?

Do you recommend using a VPN? Right now it all goes through a VPN but I usually only get a max of 10 - 20MB/s via VPN, when my connection can go up to 100MB/s. without the VPN.
I mean 10-20 is fast enough for me but just curious.
It's total together.... If you have a 10Mbit or a 50Mbit profile, you can't exceed that #. The number of connections simply means that the higher the number of connections the more likely you will hit your desired profile speed. The reason why they give you multiple connections is in case 1 or 2 connections fail out of 10, you still have 8 or 9 connections working to get you that 1Mbit.

If you are using SSL, there is no reason for a VPN as SSL is actually better than a VPN from a security stand point
Dec 7, 2009
815 posts
97 upvotes
I’m thinking of signing up as vip for an indexer that only takes bitcoin and bitcoin like payments. Do I have a simple option to somehow simply and cost effectively convert PayPal and/or credit card to make that payment? Not looking to go through the setup and costs of setting up a wallet. Looking for a one time thing. Any advice or direction on is appreciated. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3285 posts
428 upvotes
Kingston
GotDaFunk wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:34 am
I’m thinking of signing up as vip for an indexer that only takes bitcoin and bitcoin like payments. Do I have a simple option to somehow simply and cost effectively convert PayPal and/or credit card to make that payment? Not looking to go through the setup and costs of setting up a wallet. Looking for a one time thing. Any advice or direction on is appreciated. Thanks.
It all depends on the indexer if they will accept a Paypal payment. You need to contact them and ask.
Dec 7, 2009
815 posts
97 upvotes
The indexer I’m looking at specifically doesn’t accept PayPal or credit card. I’m wondering what the quickest/easiest/cheapest/safest? option would be to pay them. Basically, is there a service that people have used that can facilitate a BC payment if I pay them? Or is my only option to setup and create my own wallet ?
Nov 30, 2006
412 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
I just dropped my easynews subscription after 18 years, I used to be a heavy user but now pretty light so the price no longer made sense.

Any good values out there for a block for light use?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16670 posts
6525 upvotes
Oakville
GotDaFunk wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 5:06 pm
The indexer I’m looking at specifically doesn’t accept PayPal or credit card. I’m wondering what the quickest/easiest/cheapest/safest? option would be to pay them. Basically, is there a service that people have used that can facilitate a BC payment if I pay them? Or is my only option to setup and create my own wallet ?
You could maybe find an RFDer with bitcoin and pay them to do it. I wouldn't really trust any other service. But it's not very hard to set up a Coinbase account and buy bitcoin there. I know a lot of convenience stores now have Bitcoin ATMs as well, that you can buy bitcoin from.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1640 posts
203 upvotes
Mississauga
vanhalen26 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 5:21 pm
I just dropped my easynews subscription after 18 years, I used to be a heavy user but now pretty light so the price no longer made sense.

Any good values out there for a block for light use?
TheCubeNet has a 2TB block for USD $25. Not sure how long this sale is on for.

https://www.thecubenet.com
Last edited by sabesh on Jan 28th, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 7, 2009
815 posts
97 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 9:38 am
You could maybe find an RFDer with bitcoin and pay them to do it. I wouldn't really trust any other service. But it's not very hard to set up a Coinbase account and buy bitcoin there. I know a lot of convenience stores now have Bitcoin ATMs as well, that you can buy bitcoin from.
Im going to try the ATM plan later today. If the providers accepts multiple crypto options is it better to buy one over the other ? I was thinking Litecoin because I heard it had less fees. Not really planning on holding any of these. Just buy and use.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16670 posts
6525 upvotes
Oakville
GotDaFunk wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 7:02 am
Im going to try the ATM plan later today. If the providers accepts multiple crypto options is it better to buy one over the other ? I was thinking Litecoin because I heard it had less fees. Not really planning on holding any of these. Just buy and use.
I know basically zero about Crypto, so I would just go with whichever one you can get the required amount for, the cheapest.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient