Jul 2, 2008
4772 posts
1561 upvotes
Just tried a 622d old nzb and it said article not found for some of the files
Aug 25, 2006
356 posts
154 upvotes
Cambridge
i have a thundernews account at 75GB/month for $5 a month for life. I am willing to give this account to someone if they want to take over it cause im not using enough usenet to warrant keeping a monthly account (i think i will buy a block of usenet bandwidth instead)

pm me for details, otherwise i will just close the account.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
Starkicker wrote: How does this work exactly? I got the lightningnew whatever for $3.50. I downloaded a newsgroup bin reader and I looked for NZB files. Whatever I download I can never open because it is password protected.

What newsgroup search engine are you guys using so that you can download shows that I can actually watch?

Thanks!

http://nzbmatrix.com/subscription.php

It's $11US for a 10 year membership.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
so i signed up for it. can somebody point me in the right direction to get started :)
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Oct 11, 2004
816 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
Anyone know if these guys are censored?
Up to now Astraweb has escaped the censoring, but others haven't.

I have the $96 deal with astra and never had any issues.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
rob187 wrote: Does anyone have info on the completion rate of this provider? How bad is it really?

Since signing up with this offer, I downloaded 35GB worth of content. 14GB was 500-600 days old, and the rest was recent (under 100 days). I didn't have any issues.

One thing I saw a few times in comments of some bins on NZBMatrix were that the downloads weren't completing for anybody (regardless of usenet provider), and it was re-upped as a new NZB that now works. Does anybody know what this means? Could this be a result of DMCA take-down requests?
temporary user wrote: Anyone know if these guys are censored?
Up to now Astraweb has escaped the censoring, but others haven't.

I have the $96 deal with astra and never had any issues.

What do you mean by censoring? I thought all usenet and torrent providers with servers in the US (most of usenet right?) have to comply with DMCA take-down requests. If you connect to the EU server instead, would this be better? Right now I have the EU server setup as a backup to the primary US server.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote: so i signed up for it. can somebody point me in the right direction to get started :)
  1. Get a newsgroup reader (I use SABNZBD+)
  2. Configure the reader with all the connection settings (address, port, SSL, # of connections, username/password)
  3. Get NZBs (kind of like a torrent file?) from a search engine or indexer (I use NZBMatrix, costs $11US for 10 year access)
  4. Load NZB into the reader
If the download fails, you can check it out with QuickPar to see what files had problems. And you can re-download the parts that failed, or if possible do a repair to fill in the missing parts.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2704 posts
1593 upvotes
Toronto
Brandon wrote:
  1. Get a newsgroup reader (I use SABNZBD+)
  2. Configure the reader with all the connection settings (address, port, SSL, # of connections, username/password)
  3. Get NZBs (kind of like a torrent file?) from a search engine or indexer (I use NZBMatrix, costs $11US for 10 year access)
  4. Load NZB into the reader
If the download fails, you can check it out with QuickPar to see what files had problems. And you can re-download the parts that failed, or if possible do a repair to fill in the missing parts.

And you can look at sickbeard and couchpotatoapp for more automation. :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
esq05 wrote: And you can look at sickbeard and couchpotatoapp for more automation. :)

Right now I'm using RSS in SABNZBD+ to download TV shows automatically. Is there any benefit to using those apps?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2704 posts
1593 upvotes
Toronto
Brandon wrote: Right now I'm using RSS in SABNZBD+ to download TV shows automatically. Is there any benefit to using those apps?

I never actually used RSS for nzb, only with torrents. The only reason I like sickbeard is that it will find older episodes as well, whereas RSS feeds are only good for new/upcoming episodes. Also, it downloads the metadata and also fetches the folder images. So now when I turn on my TV which is networked, I see images of the TV shows as folder images.

It also organizes it and automatically searches (with whatever interval you have). It can also rename files and sort to your pleasing (i.e. showname/season ##/episode.mkv) (which sabnzbd+ does as well, but I just like sickbeard's UI).

I would try it out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
esq05 wrote: I never actually used RSS for nzb, only with torrents. The only reason I like sickbeard is that it will find older episodes as well, whereas RSS feeds are only good for new/upcoming episodes. Also, it downloads the metadata and also fetches the folder images. So now when I turn on my TV which is networked, I see images of the TV shows as folder images.

It also organizes it and automatically searches (with whatever interval you have). It can also rename files and sort to your pleasing (i.e. showname/season ##/episode.mkv) (which sabnzbd+ does as well, but I just like sickbeard's UI).

I would try it out.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Also, I just successfully downloaded a 1.3GB bin that's 835 days old.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2409 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
Thats Op, seems like a great deal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
Brandon wrote: Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Also, I just successfully downloaded a 1.3GB bin that's 835 days old.

Downloaded another 1.3GB bin that's 835 days old, but with errors this time (but looks like Astraweb users would also have this problem):
2011-03-18 10:33:52,367 WARNING: <Article: article=xxxx@europe.news.astraweb.com, bytes=308420, partnum=54, art_id=None> => missing from all servers, discarding
2011-03-18 10:34:57,930 WARNING: <Article: article=xxxx@europe.news.astraweb.com, bytes=308420, partnum=54, art_id=None> missing
2011-03-18 10:35:10,200 WARNING: <Article: article=xxxx@europe.news.astraweb.com, bytes=308167, partnum=19, art_id=None> => missing from all servers, discarding
2011-03-18 10:35:49,017 WARNING: <Article: article=xxxx@europe.news.astraweb.com, bytes=308264, partnum=92, art_id=None> => missing from all servers, discarding
2011-03-18 10:36:02,618 WARNING: <Article: article=xxxx@europe.news.astraweb.com, bytes=310766, partnum=116, art_id=None> => missing from all servers, discarding
2011-03-18 10:36:33,000 WARNING: <Article: article=xxxx@europe.news.astraweb.com, bytes=308167, partnum=19, art_id=None> missing
2011-03-18 10:36:34,887 WARNING: <Article: article=xxxx@europe.news.astraweb.com, bytes=308264, partnum=92, art_id=None> missing
Overall I'm happy with my day-and-a-half experience with News Group Direct. Some of the really old stuff has some errors, but for $6 it's pretty good (esp considering Astranews which is $8/month if you prepay $96/year would error out the same way too).
Dec 11, 2010
100 posts
18 upvotes
Salmon Arm
I asked a while back with no luck, but now it sounds like a few have signed up so maybe better luck this time .. anyone tried multiple logins from separate ips to see if sharing the account would be possible ?
Jul 1, 2006
597 posts
331 upvotes
GTA
^this....anyone tried multiple logings from dif IPs?

i am with newshosting paying $15/month,......i would love to switch over, so far i have heard great things about this service.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2704 posts
1593 upvotes
Toronto
xscorpio wrote: ^this....anyone tried multiple logings from dif IPs?

i am with newshosting paying $15/month,......i would love to switch over, so far i have heard great things about this service.

Never tried.. but:
These accounts should be used by the owner of the account only, and there should only be one concurrent login session.
http://newsgroupdirect.com/policies/aup.php
Dec 2, 2007
511 posts
284 upvotes
So I just signed up for the trial. I have a very fast link and it saturated it no problems.
Has anyone noticed any slowdown in the evenings during prime downloading time?
I am with Newshosting and I get consistent speeds with them, but am paying premium $$$
I just want to be sure that before I cut the cord with them I won't find myself regretting it by getting sub 5Mb downloads during peak times with this company.

Thanks for the sweet tip OP!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
Dr. Grinch wrote: So I just signed up for the trial. I have a very fast link and it saturated it no problems.
Has anyone noticed any slowdown in the evenings during prime downloading time?
I am with Newshosting and I get consistent speeds with them, but am paying premium $$$
I just want to be sure that before I cut the cord with them I won't find myself regretting it by getting sub 5Mb downloads during peak times with this company.

Thanks for the sweet tip OP!

I have a 6mbit/s (5.1mbit/s on speedtest.net) connection at home and it peaked without slowdowns all night. With QOS on my network as a slight limiter, it was pretty flat at 525-540kB/s continuously with 8 connections (which is the same limit I hit with all the other newsgroup providers I've tried: LightningUsenet, UsenetServer).
Dec 2, 2007
511 posts
284 upvotes
Hrmm interesting..
I just wiped my group cache and loaded up Alt.Binaries.Punk with NewsGroup Direct and Newshosting
Newsgroup Direct goes back 399 days
Newshosting went back 100 days further and had no incompletes

The price is killer, but I'm not sure if I want to give up the quality Newshosting provides..