• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2012 12:32 am
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2004
3359 posts
51 upvotes
skanji wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 10:21 am
Why would you use usenet instead of streaming? I'm assuming reliability, speed (ie. no buffering), etc?

Also, can you set up regularly scheduled downloads via usenet in the background via a timer for daily shows (like the daily show, letterman, etc??)
sickbeard is a great program that will work with sabnzbd
Dec 1, 2011
139 posts
9 upvotes
MILTON
skanji wrote:
Why would you use usenet instead of streaming? I'm assuming reliability, speed (ie. no buffering), etc?

Also, can you set up regularly scheduled downloads via usenet in the background via a timer for daily shows (like the daily show, letterman, etc??)
Yes, I have mine setup to auto download all my shows every week. Look up Sickbeard, that is the program that does it in conjunction with your usenet group.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4989 posts
418 upvotes
skanji wrote:

A lot of stuff gets posted to usenet very quickly. Visual quality can also be higher than streaming.
SickBeard (used with Sabnzbd).
Jul 17, 2012
57 posts
16 upvotes
skanji wrote:

Cause streaming sucks, quality wise and speed wise...
Some of us have huge hard drive arrays and like to fill them up with 1080p content then stream it to our big HDTV's. A 8gb 1080p movie downloads in about 12 minutes. Usenet maxes out my connection :)

I usually get block accounts of 100-500gb, these last for a long time. I use Shaw (Highwinds) since it's included with my internet as my main, and Cube (also Highwinds) as a back up for older stuff since Shaw only has 60 days of retention.

Been doing this for a long time, probably since 2003.. Usenet is great, I always find torrents inconstant.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4989 posts
418 upvotes
...and TheCubeNet's deal countdown is at 0 and the page doesn't work.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3682 posts
98 upvotes
originall wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 10:40 am
Been doing this for a long time, probably since 2003.. Usenet is great, I always find torrents inconstant.
Its all about having access to the right trackers. A good set of quality trackers will provide way more content then usenet does and higher retentions, and in my experience better speed. For example, 20 connections open to astraweb or frugal has never got me more then 30mb/sec on my seedbox vps whereas torrents from high end trackers like SCC will come down so fast that drive write speeds will be what bottlenecks the downstream...

I find usenet terrible these days, but for those of you who still use it I believe frugal and blocknews are your best combo.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4989 posts
418 upvotes
zonetbh wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 11:03 am
Its all about having access to the right trackers. A good set of quality trackers will provide way more content then usenet does and higher retentions, and in my experience better speed. For example, 20 connections open to astraweb or frugal has never got me more then 30mb/sec on my seedbox vps whereas torrents from high end trackers like SCC will come down so fast that drive write speeds will be what bottlenecks the downstream...

I find usenet terrible these days, but for those of you who still use it I believe frugal and blocknews are your best combo.
...probably not a great combo. They're both on ReadNews. Diversify.
Jul 26, 2007
897 posts
63 upvotes
'berta
Brandon wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 11:00 am
...and TheCubeNet's deal countdown is at 0 and the page doesn't work.
they said on their fb page that the sale starts at 11am PST... so that might be why?
Feb 8, 2003
681 posts
175 upvotes
I used Cubenet since last year but cancelled a couple weeks ago due to Takedowns. Most of the new stuff was deleted within minutes
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2004
3359 posts
51 upvotes
supeg93 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 11:14 am
I used Cubenet since last year but cancelled a couple weeks ago due to Takedowns. Most of the new stuff was deleted within minutes
+1
havnt cancelled yet but looking for an alternative.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5966 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
skule123 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 9:00 am
You can't backup your own data (well, maybe you can but you wouldn't want to..). He meant as a backup provider, so to fill blocks of missing data which may not be filled by your primary unlimited provider - although some people like blocknews as a primary provider if they're not downloading multiple HD rips of everything constantly. Just run the math on what you plan to download versus the cost of an unlimited monthly connection - I know I saved money with blocks.

I would presume you'd be able to buy multiple blocks from blocknews.

Tutorial -> http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide
Why wouldn't one want to use the 200G to backup their own content like photos, etc? Is it shared amongst everyone?
Dec 4, 2005
878 posts
70 upvotes
skanji wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 11:36 am
Why wouldn't one want to use the 200G to backup their own content like photos, etc? Is it shared amongst everyone?
Because you'd be posting your backups to usenet. ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4989 posts
418 upvotes
skanji wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 11:36 am
If you want backup you should look at something like Crashplan (who also have Black Friday deals).
× < >