Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: User banning and thread locking

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2018 12:33 pm
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
6899 posts
1586 upvotes
Grimsby
Jakinthe wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 12:41 pm
Locked for low content: amazon-delivery-driver-broke-into-her-house-2173827/

Yes, I received reports about your thread being in the wrong forum and reviewed it. I then locked your thread for low content and gave you my reasoning there.

Feel free to escalate it to TomRFD directly if you disagree with the decision.

To the OP, I can't speak for other mods but I never mind if someone shoots me a polite PM and asks about a moderation decision. If I have time I will usually explain my thinking or the rule in question. I can't answer questions about why other users were banned though and frankly most of it is mundane anyway, you aren't missing anything.
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
59 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 12:45 pm
Yes, I received reports about your thread being in the wrong forum and reviewed it. I then locked your thread for low content and gave you my reasoning there.

Feel free to escalate it to TomRFD directly if you disagree with the decision.

To the OP, I can't speak for other mods but I never mind if someone shoots me a polite PM and asks about a moderation decision. If I have time I will usually explain my thinking or the rule in question. I can't answer questions about why other users were banned though and frankly most of it is mundane anyway, you aren't missing anything.
I'm not escalating it to @TomRFD The action just reminded me of this thread.

It is quite onesided but I've come to expect that too.

Thanks

J/
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
17378 posts
2175 upvotes
Langley
Yeah, if somebody doesn't like the way a discussion is going, no need for them to keep reading and/or posting. I thought it was great fun. Too many sensitive people nowadays.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
9330 posts
2160 upvotes
Newmarket
lubmar wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 3:03 pm
do-you-find-sweater-trudeau-wearing-ins ... 2174404/3/


so somebody reported ... well great ... but why is locked ?
It was reported as flamebait and trolling. After review, the mod that closed it agreed with that reasoning and thus locked the thread. But you didn't really need that explained, right?
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
9330 posts
2160 upvotes
Newmarket
i6s1 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 4:35 pm
Yeah, if somebody doesn't like the way a discussion is going, no need for them to keep reading and/or posting. I thought it was great fun. Too many sensitive people nowadays.
Agreed. People would rather report / start a flamewar.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4636 posts
627 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 4:35 pm
Yeah, if somebody doesn't like the way a discussion is going, no need for them to keep reading and/or posting. I thought it was great fun. Too many sensitive people nowadays.
agree ... wish that the mod could suggest that to whoever was "reporting" ... and not locking ...
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4636 posts
627 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 12:37 am
It was reported as flamebait and trolling. After review, the mod that closed it agreed with that reasoning and thus locked the thread. But you didn't really need that explained, right?
if you say so ...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2120 posts
275 upvotes
In another world
I guess mods lock a thread when they see the discussion is escalating and they try to avoid personal remarks and confrontations.

I think what lubmar suggests is that mods warn users about their use of language, before locking a thread out of the blue.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
17378 posts
2175 upvotes
Langley
I should start with mentioning that the mods have my sympathy, being a mod is a near-thankless job, because there will always be people who don't think it's being done properly. I usually lean away from threads like this. But I did want to add my opinion, however unenthusiastically.

Flamebait and trolling are subjective calls. It looks like the from the bulk of the comments here, the feeling is that bar is set too low. When a thread is locked because a couple of people reported it, then we're allowing a small subset of users to decide what threads get locked.

If the general feeling of the user base was in agreement with the mods, then I think that we should see some comments here that threads are locked too soon, and some comments here that mods are too tolerant of flaming and trolling.

There is no way to get away from the subjective nature of many of the rules here, that has to be recognized. We'll never get perfect agreement, but it would be nice if the mods were more in step with the user base. The chronic complainers should simply be asked to use the 'ignore' feature, and to avoid threads that they don't want to be part of.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4636 posts
627 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 2:22 pm
I should start with mentioning that the mods have my sympathy, being a mod is a near-thankless job, because there will always be people who don't think it's being done properly. I usually lean away from threads like this. But I did want to add my opinion, however unenthusiastically.

Flamebait and trolling are subjective calls. It looks like the from the bulk of the comments here, the feeling is that bar is set too low. When a thread is locked because a couple of people reported it, then we're allowing a small subset of users to decide what threads get locked.

If the general feeling of the user base was in agreement with the mods, then I think that we should see some comments here that threads are locked too soon, and some comments here that mods are too tolerant of flaming and trolling.

There is no way to get away from the subjective nature of many of the rules here, that has to be recognized. We'll never get perfect agreement, but it would be nice if the mods were more in step with the user base. The chronic complainers should simply be asked to use the 'ignore' feature, and to avoid threads that they don't want to be part of.
yep ... well said ...
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
9330 posts
2160 upvotes
Newmarket
gontori wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 9:03 am
I guess mods lock a thread when they see the discussion is escalating and they try to avoid personal remarks and confrontations.

I think what lubmar suggests is that mods warn users about their use of language, before locking a thread out of the blue.
If a thread, as a whole, is flame bait or trolling in nature, a warning of language would not be warranted as the thread itself does not need to exist here on the site. If another thread, which is of actual benefit to the community, has some members throwing it off course, we would try to correct that without closing the thread.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
10674 posts
17269 upvotes
Scarborough
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 6:46 pm
If a thread, as a whole, is flame bait or trolling in nature, a warning of language would not be warranted as the thread itself does not need to exist here on the site. If another thread, which is of actual benefit to the community, has some members throwing it off course, we would try to correct that without closing the thread.
This.

It's usually the same few members whose threads get repeatedly closed and we've become pretty good at guessing which threads will spiral downhill. OP's don't often question a threads closing which says something in itself.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1479 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 7:18 pm
I'm still wondering what happened to the guy trying to pick up the bus driver. I think that was locked as well.
As far as I understood it, the OP had asked for it to be locked...but maybe not...?

I think the removal was unfair to anyone who posted or followed the thread. If it was going to be allowed in the first place, why didn't "community contribution" keep it open? So if the progress and outcome was what OP liked, he could decide the thread could remain visible and open, but because it wasn't, it was locked?

The issue I have is that the thread was allowed and users basically encouraged the guy to pursue a woman in her public job, which I personally don't think is appropriate, BUT I didn't push the issue after expressing the opinion (with a minority of users sharing the view) since it is subjective grey area. Fine. But after the outcome...discussion, reflection was squashed.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1479 upvotes
Another example of subjective judgments leading to inconsistent moderation:
A discussion escalated into bickering with daivey in a thread where he admitted to never selling a thing on Kijiji but was telling other Kijiji sellers how they should do it (or how he would imagine doing it.)

daivey is in the Penalty Box, which supposedly means his posts had to be approved by a mod. Therefore, apparently a mod was approving his bickering posts with me.

I tried to ignore it when it became clear that he was exaggerating my position/POV into more extreme and ridiculous scenarios, but he multi-posted and only after I responded pointing out his double standards, were both of our posts moderated/removed.

So why is that? Why was some mod approving bickering posts?

There are users calling for decreased use of subjectivity. Not only is it possible that mods are out of step with the userbase (I'm not sure about that, maybe, maybe not), but it's clear that mods are not even in step with each other.

(I am not singling out any moderator as I feel that this is a system/policy issue.)

Top