• Mar 16th, 2018 1:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1315 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto

User friendly iptv for old people

My parents are with Rogers. They are paying upwards of $160 a month for basic cable, home phone, and really terrible internet, 15 down 1 up I believe and 150gb cap.
I would like to completely scrap Rogers, sign them up on one of these popular 75/10 internet packages by carrytel or cannet. I them plan to put them on comwave for their phone or get rid of the home phone altogether and port their number to a really cheap void service.

I am tired of calling Rogers to renegotiate their plan every few months, I am just so sick and tired of Rogers and Bell.

My biggest hurdle is the TV. I have zero iptv experience.
My dad likes to watch european channels and soccer, my mom really doesn't care, shes happy with History or Discovery type channels.
So is there an iptv service that is fairly reliable that wont have me going back to their house to reconfigure anything? I just want them to have a tv box thats trouble free.
I really need to get them off Rogers for good.
19 replies
Dec 20, 2015
862 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DIrty-D wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 10:53 am
My parents are with Rogers. They are paying upwards of $160 a month for basic cable, home phone, and really terrible internet, 15 down 1 up I believe and 150gb cap.
I would like to completely scrap Rogers, sign them up on one of these popular 75/10 internet packages by carrytel or cannet. I them plan to put them on comwave for their phone or get rid of the home phone altogether and port their number to a really cheap void service.

I am tired of calling Rogers to renegotiate their plan every few months, I am just so sick and tired of Rogers and Bell.

My biggest hurdle is the TV. I have zero iptv experience.
My dad likes to watch european channels and soccer, my mom really doesn't care, shes happy with History or Discovery type channels.
So is there an iptv service that is fairly reliable that wont have me going back to their house to reconfigure anything? I just want them to have a tv box thats trouble free.
I really need to get them off Rogers for good.
All you need is a MAG box and a reliable IPTV service, since your dad watches mostly EU channels and soccer I would recommend Voodoo/IPTV Express/IPGUYS. Any one of those servers are good and reliable. Just to let you know my parents are using a MAG box with IPTV express for south Asian channels, and they like it as it is very simple to use.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2639 posts
706 upvotes
Global Village
I have found that it is really, really difficult to get old folks to move away from the Rogers box/channel/remote experience to an android box experience, they will try it, find it too complicated, blame you and demand to go back to what they are used to. Rogers is actually launching their new IP TV service (Ignite TV) this month with a voice remote, might want to wait for that before deciding.

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr11/
All day I dream about sports
Dec 20, 2015
862 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto, ON
scoper wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 1:04 pm
I have found that it is really, really difficult to get old folks to move away from the Rogers box/channel/remote experience to an android box experience, they will try it, find it too complicated, blame you and demand to go back to what they are used to. Rogers is actually launching their new IP TV service (Ignite TV) this month with a voice remote, might want to wait for that before deciding.

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr11/
True but if you give them Android boxes, for sure they will nag you for the longest time. That's why Mag boxes are always the best solution for older folks. The most plain, and simple layout.

All you have to do is, get an IPTV service and put all their favourite channels into the favourite list. Bazinga! They will never call you or bother you ever again!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1315 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:47 pm
True but if you give them Android boxes, for sure they will nag you for the longest time. That's why Mag boxes are always the best solution for older folks. The most plain, and simple layout.

All you have to do is, get an IPTV service and put all their favourite channels into the favourite list. Bazinga! They will never call you or bother you ever again!
Thanks, I Googled those iptv providers and I get a bunch of different websites.
Do you have direct links to these 3 providers?
Which one do you recommend the most for Italian TV?
Lastly, where is the best place to get this "mag box"?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2487 posts
564 upvotes
Montreal
I'm in the same situation with my old folks.

They have a ShieldTV, what do you guys use to get IPTV on that device? Looks like Kodi does it well.
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Nov 4, 2010
17 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
I setup my parents with an Amazon box and Voodoo for European channels....at the beginning was getting call but not anymore , just set what they watch the most into favorites and they should be fine.
Apr 3, 2013
49 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Which European channels are you looking for specifically?

I've been using acetv for over and year(also a reseller) and it's amazing. Has all USA/CAN channels, alot of UK and a list of European channels. If you want a 24 hour trial or help to set it up just shoot me a pm.

I Initially got it for my dad because I taught him him to use the internet to find streams for European channels(croatian). He loved it on the computer but the quality was pretty bad. I found ace which had the channels he needed. Set up a android box and tried to teach him. He couldn't figure it out. At all. So hopefully your parents are more technical saavy then mine haha.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1315 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Sban90 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 11:45 pm
Which European channels are you looking for specifically?

I've been using acetv for over and year(also a reseller) and it's amazing. Has all USA/CAN channels, alot of UK and a list of European channels. If you want a 24 hour trial or help to set it up just shoot me a pm.

I Initially got it for my dad because I taught him him to use the internet to find streams for European channels(croatian). He loved it on the computer but the quality was pretty bad. I found ace which had the channels he needed. Set up a android box and tried to teach him. He couldn't figure it out. At all. So hopefully your parents are more technical saavy then mine haha.
My parents are 100% non technically savvy bless their hearts. They need something super easy to use unfortunately.
Apr 3, 2013
49 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
You should look into the mag I find it has the best layout and most user friendly after setting it up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1315 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
A bit confused here, I've had a few pm's from resellers already. What is a reseller exactly and why does this iptv business seem so shady? Is iptv legal to use or not?
Apr 3, 2013
49 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
DIrty-D wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 8:15 am
A bit confused here, I've had a few pm's from resellers already. What is a reseller exactly and why does this iptv business seem so shady? Is iptv legal to use or not?
They waste no time on these forums eh? Haha. I could do the same but I like red flag deals and don't wanna be labelled as a spammer.

A reseller buys bulk subscriptions from providers and resells them to people wanted IPTV. It's a way for providers to expand there clientele and also avoids them from having to deal with sales on a day to day basis. Typically most large IPTV providers no longer deal with direct sales and you need to go through a reseller.

The legality part, it is a bit shady. It's a grey area. Some say it's legal to stream in Canada but it believe it's best to err on the side of caution.

Also should add that these providers can go under when ever they please. Try to keep subscriptions to like three months max at a time.
Sep 17, 2002
805 posts
189 upvotes
Did the same - first they had a mag 254 with sub

Now on the other TV, they have a android box with stb and using free m3u ... got the best of both worlds

redvapor wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:13 pm
I setup my parents with an Amazon box and Voodoo for European channels....at the beginning was getting call but not anymore , just set what they watch the most into favorites and they should be fine.
Aug 30, 2012
105 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers is too expensive, and you can take a look other small ISPs like CIK.

50M Unlimited Interent + Free Home Phone for $39.99 per month
https://www.ciktel.com/promotion/ONFTTN

Add on Not so skinny TV package for $19.99/mo.

The total monthly fee is under $60, which is much cheaper than Rogers.
Nov 5, 2011
43 posts
8 upvotes
IPTV stands for Internet Protocol Television. Bell, Telus and other TV providers use this technology for their TV service. They negotiate and buy the rights to distribute the channels so they are completely legal.

The IPTV services often discussed in this forum are illegally distributing the channels (copyright infringement). Accessing illegal streams like those seems to be a grey area in Canada in terms of legality... so I guess it’s up to the users to decide if they are comfortable doing so.