Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1246 posts
105 upvotes

Using Canadian Starbucks cards in the States

Anyone know whether Starbucks cards purchased in Canada can be used in the States? I want to send some out with my Christmas cards.
10 replies
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2086 posts
135 upvotes
You can buy American denomination cards from Starbucks off their website. Unfortunately you won't get them in time since they ship from the states.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1246 posts
105 upvotes
So you can't use Canadian cards in the States? I know that you can use Canadian Gap GCs south of the border. They just convert the currency. :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
8520 posts
1219 upvotes
Toronto
Free Willy wrote:
Dec 20th, 2009 8:19 pm
Anyone know whether Starbucks cards purchased in Canada can be used in the States? I want to send some out with my Christmas cards.
Yes they work.

I used a Cdn Starbucks card at the Phoenix Airport last month.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
62 upvotes
Yes it is possible to do so anywhere in the world as long as they have a Starbucks Card in that country. I've used a Canadian card in HK, US and UK before and they give the market exchange rates.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
1162 posts
2 upvotes
tng11 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2009 6:53 am
Yes it is possible to do so anywhere in the world as long as they have a Starbucks Card in that country. I've used a Canadian card in HK, US and UK before and they give the market exchange rates.
Good to know, thanks for the info.
Did the register do the conversion automatically or the staff has to do the calculation manually?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9373 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto
tet8suo wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2009 10:36 pm
Good to know, thanks for the info.
Did the register do the conversion automatically or the staff has to do the calculation manually?
it's automatic.
Dec 3, 2006
354 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
i've used my cdn starbuck cards in the states, so convenient! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4757 posts
4687 upvotes
Toronto
Starbucks card from either country work in the other country without problem. The currency conversion is done automatically (and it's not 1:1, in my experience.) RBC Duetto VISA as expected also works as a Starbucks card in the US -- though a few staff eye the RBC logo with surprise.

Canadian cards properly registered with starbucks.com also grant AT&T hotspot access at US locations.

Generally speaking, the only cultural difference I have found in the US is that the term "half sweet" is not as widely known -- in Canada everyone seems to know what it means.
Yes, Here's to the few
Who forgive what you do
And the fewer who don't even care.
× < >