102 upvotes

using car wash vacuum to suck dust from laptop

anyone done this?
6 replies
Oct 18, 2004
170 posts
44 upvotes
Windsor
Can't say I have. My practical concern would be the force of the suction causing something to loosen or instead of loosening something could become powerfully wedged whether sucking through a vent. On the theoretical side, you run the risk of damaging the laptop because of the static build up that a commercial device can carry. However, if you're in a jam "no pun intended," difficult situations inspire ingenious solutions; though if that's not the case, I'd take the time to open it (if feasible) and clean it properly and safely with a can of compressed air and a soft tooth brush.

Daniel
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1843 posts
224 upvotes
In another world
LaZeRACED wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:30 am
Can't say I have. My practical concern would be the force of the suction causing something to loosen or instead of loosening something could become powerfully wedged whether sucking through a vent. On the theoretical side, you run the risk of damaging the laptop because of the static build up that a commercial device can carry. However, if you're in a jam "no pun intended," difficult situations inspire ingenious solutions; though if that's not the case, I'd take the time to open it (if feasible) and clean it properly and safely with a can of compressed air and a soft tooth brush.
Daniel
I concur.
Besides, with a can of compressed air you have more control on where to direct the flow of air to clean properly, in short burst.
Do not use a vacuum cleaner.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18597 posts
3704 upvotes
Thornhill
Doesn't vacuum suction also have a possibility of creating static?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12143 posts
1934 upvotes
London
Be careful using anything with powerful airflow on a laptop like an air compressor or big vacuum.

The big airflow can spin the laptop fan a lot faster rpm that it's rated for. The laptop fan can spin so fast that the blades actually tear right off!

It's a huge pain to replace some laptop fans. Don't do it. Use something made for the task and be gentle
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2062 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Also, I've seen laptop keys suck out. You also dont want that to happen.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21757 posts
2453 upvotes
What the heck is the point using the "car wash vacuum" for this? :confused: Do you have no home vacuum? And anyway yes I do this all the time with keyboards, laptop and otherwise. Just use a vacuum and get yourself a soft-brush attachment. Make sure you remove any easy to come off parts like the touchpoint cap thingy, if you have one, before vacuuming.