Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1247 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa

using Chip credit cards without PIN

I recently got a replacement card and its got a chip in it. I have never used the PIN supplied with the older card and dont even remember it. I know this is a security feature but wanted to find out whether the info i have is true or not.

I was a medical clinic and paid with my MC. cashier says enter the pin and I say I dont know. she says do you have another card and I only carry one. she informs me that she cant swipe the card as it wont work. Is this TRUE. anyway I told her to enter the number by hand and it worked.

I will get a PIN shortly but wanted to find out more about this.

Thanks
38 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
143 upvotes
SC
technically no, you can force a swipe just as you can do it manually.

however for argument sake you should remember your pin.
"We don't have a soul... We are a soul. We have a body." ~C.S Lewis
Feb 9, 2006
827 posts
24 upvotes
The banks keep rolling out security measures at the expense of the user experiences, but they keep saying that everything is safe.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
44 upvotes
everylittlecent wrote:
Mar 4th, 2011 12:42 pm
I recently got a replacement card and its got a chip in it. I have never used the PIN supplied with the older card and dont even remember it. I know this is a security feature but wanted to find out whether the info i have is true or not.

I was a medical clinic and paid with my MC. cashier says enter the pin and I say I dont know. she says do you have another card and I only carry one. she informs me that she cant swipe the card as it wont work. Is this TRUE. anyway I told her to enter the number by hand and it worked.

I will get a PIN shortly but wanted to find out more about this.

Thanks
Many have a switch or something like that. Couple of years back they started updating the old terminal. Most have the new one now.
All you can do is take your ID at the branch and get it changed. Or call MC and answer few questions, they will reset it.
I have my CIBC VISA and dont know the PIN code. I have it in my file sent 2-1/2 year back. Never changed it.
Home-depot/No Frills and few stores don't ask PIN for purchase below $50.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Sep 11, 2006
13 posts
If you enter the WRONG PIN 3 times (even "9999" or "1234"), the payment will process and instead you will need to sign the receipt.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4886 posts
439 upvotes
brisket wrote:
Mar 4th, 2011 1:35 pm
If you enter the WRONG PIN 3 times (even "9999" or "1234"), the payment will process and instead you will need to sign the receipt.

Depends how the terminal is setup, there are some bypass methods enabled during the transition but they will eventually be closed. Upside down insert to cause a Chip fail can also enable fallback mode on some terminals.

Wrong PIN will likely cause the card to be disabled pretty fast if the bank is monitoring.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5887 posts
104 upvotes
i dont really like the pin function.

but there would be less fraud and scammers going around i guess.

at the same time, the bank might put the responisbility on you for losing your pin to scammers now :evil:
images are not permitted in sigs
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1807 posts
161 upvotes
I don't like the pin function either. Much easier to scoop someone's pin than to copy their good signature. Having said that most 17 yo cashiers never ever check the signature against your card so that defeats the purpose anyways, and pin puts in some form of check in place which is better than none. I know some newest terminals do not let you process using the stripe if your card is a pin card. The terminal actually comes back saying, pin card please slide in, even when you hit cancel, it doesn't resort to using the stripe but throws back the pin card message.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4886 posts
439 upvotes
Another problem is people leave their cards in the terminal. People are too quick to run off.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
18400 posts
2407 upvotes
Waterloo
tkyoshi wrote:
Mar 4th, 2011 2:41 pm
Another problem is people leave their cards in the terminal. People are too quick to run off.

I did that twice at Cdn Tire with my chip Credit Card
and when I went back to Customer Service desk to find my card, they took out a BIG stack of cards.. of course they ask for ID to verify it's yours

It'll be hard to find those nameless DEBIT card even
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15426 posts
804 upvotes
Woodbridge
I can't remember where I used it that an Alarm went off, it reminds you to take your Credit Card out.

Not really concerned about Fraud/Security but what I love about the PIN is that I don't have to worry about the Magnetic Stripe not working or it take several swipes that hold up the line and cashier use Tape/Paper to get it working.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Nov 14, 2010
805 posts
80 upvotes
Should do it like ABM withdrawal where the transaction won't proceed until after you removed your card.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1279 posts
254 upvotes
I went to buy a pizza at little ceasars and I still have an old TD card without the pin and this is what the lady said to me:

"Oh no pin? I can't process your card because it has no pin, but I can try swiping it but it's illegal for us to touch the card with the new pin cards out"

She swipes, I sign, then I leave looking like this :facepalm: , wanted to smack her in the face for all that BS ... hah jk but ya kinda funny
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6077 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
Wasn't there an episode on 16:9 that these new cards are more susceptible to have their info stolen?
× < >