Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1513 posts
127 upvotes
Hamilton

using corp. phone as personal device?

I got free Iphone from my company. I dont have to pay any fees.

Im paying 65/month to Rogers for nothing..

It is a good idea to use company phone as personal device? Company said they dont keep log or anything that is personal. this belongs to you. pic, text messages, etc.. they only keep log of hardware information, logs about device management.

Personal device, I usually have apps like tinder, snapchat, whatsapp, etc..

what do you think?
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5330 posts
1113 upvotes
Mississauga
Is the phone yours to keep, if you were to leave the company?

At our company, they pay for the corporate plan, and you choose whatever phone is available through Bell, but it's yours to keep (along with the phone number) if you're no longer with the company. What that also means is if you choose a phone that cost $199 on 2-year contract, then you pay the $199 yourself.

If you leave the company, while it's on contract, you have to switch it out to a retail plan, but can keep the number (if desired).

Conversely, for other companies, you have to turn in the phone if you leave the company, and presumably, lose the number as well. So I think it depends what your company's policy is.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6420 posts
3526 upvotes
Edmonton
I wouldn't do anything with the company phone that you wouldn't do with a company computer. So it would depend on your use of your tinder/snapchat/whatsapp applications... From my understanding of how many people use those, I'd give that a "no".

C
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3296 posts
2201 upvotes
Burnaby
Hmmm... this thread and its questions are more appropriate for the career forum (work etiquette, appropriate use of company's property, terms in job contract, liability, ...)
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1289 posts
375 upvotes
TBD
I have a corp provided phone with airwatch installed.

To each their own, but I just have the one line for personal and work. I can't be bothered to pay $600 a year for my own personal line and have to carry around a second cell phone.

My company's device management tools don't allow them to see anything of value on my phone. They are only able to see which corp related app's are on my device, not my personal storage, browsing history or app's I've installed from the app store.
Jan 29, 2013
723 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Does your employer offer any other options? My employer offers a phone + phone plan, but if I opt to use my own phone and phone plan, they provide me with a monthly stipend. I chose the stipend route so I remain in control of my phone, phone plan, and can use my own number.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4427 posts
722 upvotes
Aurora
Go ahead and use the company phone. Why flush away 65 for nothing. The company will get monthly billing showing calls made and general data usage but they're not going to see any real content. Only the carrier would have those logs and the company wouldn't bother asking for those (unless something very serious occurs I suppose).

How difficult would it be to set up a new phone if you leave, anyway? As long as you keep track of your personal passwords, it should take an hour or two.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9577 posts
1031 upvotes
I have 2 lines. My corp phone can be remotely wiped by work. No thanks.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16818 posts
1320 upvotes
Woodbridge
I use it for personal use I could care less if they know you I talk to, etc.

I have two because I'm an addict but as posted if I could only have one and not pay for it I would.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30924 posts
7649 upvotes
GTHA
aviador wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:24 am
Hmmm... this thread and its questions are more appropriate for the career forum (work etiquette, appropriate use of company's property, terms in job contract, liability, ...)
Using the 'report' button, you can let the moderation team know this thread should be in the careers forum.
Sep 27, 2003
8904 posts
1893 upvotes
Newmarket
OP - do you have an MDM installed / in use on your device?
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28106 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
qualdoth wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:00 pm
Does your employer offer any other options? My employer offers a phone + phone plan, but if I opt to use my own phone and phone plan, they provide me with a monthly stipend. I chose the stipend route so I remain in control of my phone, phone plan, and can use my own number.
Did they make you install any management software in case the phone is lost? I have the same options, but part of the deal is that I need to install their software so they can remotely wipe it.
May 8, 2009
5459 posts
1914 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
qualdoth wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:00 pm
+1

Good choice. Only expectation in return for the stipend is your employer expects you to use your personal device for work (calls, emails) even when you're out of the office? Still a good idea.
DiceMan wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:35 pm
Go ahead and use the company phone. Why flush away 65 for nothing. The company will get monthly billing showing calls made and general data usage but they're not going to see any real content. Only the carrier would have those logs and the company wouldn't bother asking for those (unless something very serious occurs I suppose).

How difficult would it be to set up a new phone if you leave, anyway? As long as you keep track of your personal passwords, it should take an hour or two.
Depends on what OP wants to do. OP could port personal number to Fongo and stick a Fido data sim in personal cell if they want so keeping a "personal phone" isn't all that expensive.
Gee wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 12:38 pm
Did they make you install any management software in case the phone is lost? I have the same options, but part of the deal is that I need to install their software so they can remotely wipe it.
Makes sense, meaning your personal phone then is managed by the employer, in which case keeping a personal phone only grants the convenience of managing your phone number, not the device.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28106 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:10 pm
Makes sense, meaning your personal phone then is managed by the employer, in which case keeping a personal phone only grants the convenience of managing your phone number, not the device.
They don’t really care what I do with the phone, but they want the ability to wipe the phone remotely in case I get terminated or lose the phone. The emails have proprietary and confidential information.