Personal Finance

Using Credit Card Checks for Payment count as points?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2013 9:41 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1797 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto

Using Credit Card Checks for Payment count as points?

There are many points reward credit cards that give out free checks (count towards cash advances), can I use these to setup pre-authorize payment for car loans and stuff?

Will that count towards spending that can earn reward points?

Or cash advances are typically not considered?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
vaporize wrote: There are many points reward credit cards that give out free checks (count towards cash advances), can I use these to setup pre-authorize payment for car loans and stuff?
No. Instead, give your credit card number and expiry date to the companies you want to pay.

Then again, why would you want to pay a car loan with your credit card? Do you realize that the interest rate of your card is probably much higher than the one on your car loan?
vaporize wrote: Will that count towards spending that can earn reward points? Or cash advances are typically not considered?
Cash advances do not count towards points or rewards, except in this particular case: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/pay-your ... t-1149989/
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2012
1752 posts
742 upvotes
Windsor
I have not heard of a card which will give u point for cash/cbeque advances.. In past Canadian Tire use to give points but its gone now..
Nov 18, 2004
366 posts
176 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vaporize wrote: There are many points reward credit cards that give out free checks (count towards cash advances), can I use these to setup pre-authorize payment for car loans and stuff?

Will that count towards spending that can earn reward points?

Or cash advances are typically not considered?
More like 99.9% than 'typically'.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
airodyssey wrote: No. Instead, give your credit card number and expiry date to the companies you want to pay.

Then again, why would you want to pay a car loan with your credit card? Do you realize that the interest rate of your card is probably much higher than the one on your car loan?

Cash advances do not count towards points or rewards, except in this particular case: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/pay-your ... t-1149989/
You'd use it to pay a car loan if you pay the credit card statement balance in full every month. You do realize that the interest rate on a credit card doesn't mean anything to people who use them properly? You realize that you don't have to pay any interest right?

Of course, it be hard to find a company or bank that can charge a car loan to a credit card.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1797 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys, was just thinking that I can give those checks to pay for stuff and earn things back. Like car insurance and such

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)