Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal

using fake UPC code to sell on itunes?

I'm using catapult distribution as my intermediate to sell music on itunes.
I'm seeing that they charge an additional 20$ to generate a UPC code for you.

What are the ramifications of:

1) Using a fake UPC code or the UPC code from a book or DVD
2) Using a UPC code from another album that I own the rights to (but the song doesn't appear on that particular album)
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7136 posts
3738 upvotes
Montreal
I'd imagine if the music stores require the UPC, they'd verify it first before posting your music.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
cloneman wrote: I'm using catapult distribution as my intermediate to sell music on itunes.
I'm seeing that they charge an additional 20$ to generate a UPC code for you.

What are the ramifications of:

1) Using a fake UPC code or the UPC code from a book or DVD
2) Using a UPC code from another album that I own the rights to (but the song doesn't appear on that particular album)
Since UPC stands for "Universal Product Code", taking another product's code could cause problems down the track. There are options out there to create a legitimate UPC, so I would suggest utilising those, or paying for the UPC from Catapult.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
79 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Since UPC stands for "Universal Product Code", taking another product's code could cause problems down the track. There are options out there to create a legitimate UPC, so I would suggest utilising those, or paying for the UPC from Catapult.

Taking another product's code WILL cause problems down the track.

UPC are governed and basically owned by a central group. You will get a cease and desist letter from a law firm if you copy another or make it up and you will have headaches with the retailers if they are informed that the UPC is counterfeit.

Here is a link on UPCs with good how to info and some info on costs: http://www.startupnation.com/business-a ... c-code.asp

sm
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
79 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: I'd imagine if the music stores require the UPC, they'd verify it first before posting your music.

+1
Yes, there is a UPC central database. Their scanners will read the UPC and return the corresponding information from the database.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
Still, I'd be tempted to use one from a DVD or Book that I own the rights to. I dont see why I should need a freakin UPC to sell on itunes.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7136 posts
3738 upvotes
Montreal
cloneman wrote: Still, I'd be tempted to use one from a DVD or Book that I own the rights to. I dont see why I should need a freakin UPC to sell on itunes.

Because it is their store and they make the rules. Don't like it? Then don't sell there.

Seems to me that a prolific content producer such as yourself should be able to afford the $20 fee. It takes money to make money.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/content-pro ... c-faq.html
Do I need UPCs and ISRCs?
A UPC (Universal Product Code) uniquely identifies each album and helps sellers ensure that they are marketing the right album. An ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) uniquely identifies individual songs. Both identifiers are required metadata for all audio delivered to iTunes.