Using gmail app on the phone while travelling

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2017 2:39 am
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
413 posts
25 upvotes

Using gmail app on the phone while travelling

Does anyone know if the gmail app on the phone will work if you are on wifi or 4G in another country? I was pointed out by a friend that gmail won't work while overseas and I need to register the 2-step verification with google.

I think 1.5 years ago, I was able to use the gmail app while overseas. Not sure if things have changed? Or maybe you can't use gmail if you try logging in from a notebook?

Thanks.
12 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6126 posts
2220 upvotes
Toronto
hmmm depends. if your security settings are set, what will happen is that GMAIL might try to send you a verification code via text... so if you have your regular cellular turned off, you wont receive it.

my gmail worked fine on my iphone, using the iphones mail app.

however, my wifes hotmail did not work through the iphone mail app.. the security detected an out of country IP and it wanted text verification.

so if you go in and change your security settings prior to leaving, you should be fine. it all depends how you have your security set up.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
413 posts
25 upvotes
What other security settings should I check out? I see the email and phone number recovery setting, and the 2 step verification. Thanks.
Maybe I should set up the 2 step verification and google authenticator for this trip.

*Read in some other forum that gmail app will work; just not logging in from a computer.*
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3442 posts
286 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
I've never had to adjust security settings to use GMail while on 4G/Wifi in another country. Worked fine in the US and all over Europe.
Jan 10, 2009
485 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
You'll only need to do the 2 factor if you log into gmail from another country on a computer there. If you're using the app on your phone that was used to access it before you travel it will be fine. It's the device and app that need authenticating not the location.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
413 posts
25 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 9:25 pm
You'll only need to do the 2 factor if you log into gmail from another country on a computer there. If you're using the app on your phone that was used to access it before you travel it will be fine. It's the device and app that need authenticating not the location.
Thanks for your clarification. That means I don't have to do anything at all :)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
1995 posts
430 upvotes
I've never had a problem with the gmail app on my phone anywhere in the world (maybe 10-15 different countries).
All except china - where definitely you will get gmail problems due to the firewall.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
Should be fine unless you're going to China or another country that censors the internet.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1769 posts
408 upvotes
Unionville, ON
A lot of misinformation here.

First of all, 2 step verification is AN OPTIONAL SECURITY setting. It is NOT mandatory to have it enabled for the Gmail app to work. By the way, 2 Step Verification is Google account wide, not just localized to Gmail. If you use other Google services such as YouTube and want to have access to your channel subscriptions, Hangout, etc., the 2 step also applies. If you have it enabled and log into Gmail from any web browser, it also applies.

That said, if you have it off, you can use the Gmail app anywhere in the world with data, such as connected to WiFi with no 2 step needed at all.

Only use 2 Step Verification if you're in you're own calling zone when you're at home and do not have to pay roaming to receive text messages. Unless, you don't mind paying your cell provider's roaming rates then turn it on and receive texts at a premium while outside of your calling zone.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7875 posts
565 upvotes
Google tracks by device. Even at home if you log in via a new device (e.g. New phone) it will send you an email.

I've been blocked out from a hotel computer even in the US.

On the other hand, I'm using my phone on a UK Sim card right now in London with no issues.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1390 upvotes
Richmond
It should work fine, but you may run into an initial problem with Google blocking your access and requiring verification because they deem it suspicious that you would be logging in from a new location outside your home country. So be prepared before you go by making sure that you have set up account verification email or SMS that you will actually be able to respond to if Google requires verification. There is unfortunately no way to flag your account for travel or to turn off Google's auto-suspicion setting in advance.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
413 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your responses. I just got back from a 2 week vacation in Penang, Malaysia.

Just want everyone to know that the gmail and yahoo mail apps on the phone work without adding security etc before I left. I was using a malaysian prepaid sim card too.