[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2381 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto

Using green bin and smaller kitchen container

I'm new to using these and have some questions:

1) What do you use to line the large green bins? Or do you use anything at all?
2) Can you just throw the acceptable items (such as meat or fruit) directly into the large green bin or do they need to be wrapped in something first (like newspaper or smaller compostable bag from kitchen container)?
3) On pickup day, do you find that some of the stuff at the bottom of the green bin remain in the bin?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25896 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It depends on your municipality. But I sgguest you line the large green bin with a compostable bag

If you just throw food into the bin, you can expect maggots to appear in a matter of days.

Most people have a smaller bin in the kitchen that should be emptied out daily or every other day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2381 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
May 27th, 2017 11:03 pm
It depends on your municipality. But I sgguest you line the large green bin with a compostable bag

If you just throw food into the bin, you can expect maggots to appear in a matter of days.

Most people have a smaller bin in the kitchen that should be emptied out daily or every other day.
Yep I have a small kitchener container with a compostable bag inside. Everytime it gets full (or smelly) I'll tie the bag up and throw it in the green bin. I didn't know they made big compostable bags for green bins though, i guess you can just buy them at the grocery store? I just hate how it's yet another thing I'll need to keep buying :(
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25896 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
crystallight wrote:
May 28th, 2017 3:17 am
Yep I have a small kitchener container with a compostable bag inside. Everytime it gets full (or smelly) I'll tie the bag up and throw it in the green bin. I didn't know they made big compostable bags for green bins though, i guess you can just buy them at the grocery store? I just hate how it's yet another thing I'll need to keep buying :(
You can get both the small bags and the larger ones at Costco

Every time you put in a new bag, I suggest you line the bottom of the bag with either newspaper, used diaper or microwaveable popcorn bags. This helps support the organic material and hopefully minimize any leakage
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2381 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
May 28th, 2017 9:32 am
You can get both the small bags and the larger ones at Costco

Every time you put in a new bag, I suggest you line the bottom of the bag with either newspaper, used diaper or microwaveable popcorn bags. This helps support the organic material and hopefully minimize any leakage
I don't have a Costco membership. I just checked walmart's website and they're over 50 cents per bag?! Wow.
I honestly don't have much food scraps/other acceptable green bin stuff since it gets picked up every week. I can just throw my compostable bag from the kitchen container directly into the green bin right? I'll just do this when it's time to take it out so animals/critters aren't getting into the green bin since there'll be nothing inside!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25896 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
crystallight wrote:
May 28th, 2017 8:02 pm
I don't have a Costco membership. I just checked walmart's website and they're over 50 cents per bag?! Wow.
I honestly don't have much food scraps/other acceptable green bin stuff since it gets picked up every week. I can just throw my compostable bag from the kitchen container directly into the green bin right? I'll just do this when it's time to take it out so animals/critters aren't getting into the green bin since there'll be nothing inside!
Try to minimize the liquids. They really stink.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2381 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
May 28th, 2017 8:08 pm
Try to minimize the liquids. They really stink.
Liquids like what? Wouldn't I just pour any liquids down the drain?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25896 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
crystallight wrote:
May 28th, 2017 8:12 pm
Liquids like what? Wouldn't I just pour any liquids down the drain?
Sometimes you have excess liquids from washing vegetables and cutting the ends off, sometimes there are soup bones etc.

That's why it's best to line the bottom of the bag with something like newspaper and to drain as much liquid as possible
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2381 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
May 28th, 2017 8:17 pm
Sometimes you have excess liquids from washing vegetables and cutting the ends off, sometimes there are soup bones etc.

That's why it's best to line the bottom of the bag with something like newspaper and to drain as much liquid as possible
Yep Ill definitely drain as much as I can before putting it into the container or green bin.
And I just thought of something. If I get the large compostable bags for my green bin, can I just keep the same bag for awhile (I can tape it down on the sides of the bin)? I don't think it'd be smelly since all the food/items would be in the smaller compostable bags inside the green bin which then gets thrown into the garbage truck. I'm just not sure if the garbage people empties out the entire green bin including the large bag.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25896 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
crystallight wrote:
May 28th, 2017 10:51 pm
Yep Ill definitely drain as much as I can before putting it into the container or green bin.
And I just thought of something. If I get the large compostable bags for my green bin, can I just keep the same bag for awhile (I can tape it down on the sides of the bin)? I don't think it'd be smelly since all the food/items would be in the smaller compostable bags inside the green bin which then gets thrown into the garbage truck. I'm just not sure if the garbage people empties out the entire green bin including the large bag.
I don't think that will work. Those compostable bags are pretty thin and once they get wet, they break down within a week. They literally disintegrate.
Last edited by Gee on May 29th, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4770 posts
3317 upvotes
GTA
I don't see why you need to line the green bin if you're already using small compostable bags from you kitchen bin. If the green bin eventually gets stinky just give it a rinse with the hose and put some vinegar/bleach in it.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1268 posts
344 upvotes
I don't bother lining the large bin with anything, I transfer the small bags from the beige bin when they're full. Some big items I put directly into the large bin, like the leafy part of a pineapple, and watermelon/canteloupe etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7220 posts
993 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
We just use newspaper. We have a small bin in the kitchen which we usually put one sheet of newspaper in to help absorb any liquid and keep the container clean. Then every few days (or more frequently if needed), empty and wrap it in newspaper. Usually about 3 sheets and wrap it tight and just toss it in the large bin as is. No lining in the large bin.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2638 posts
477 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
We're getting our green bags from Costco... the small container ones for like 100 for $10.

Any cheaper alternative? Heck, they should promote green bins with free bags!!
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10144 posts
121 upvotes
Each time you transfer from the smaller container to the green bin, put a couple of sheets of newspaper between the "layers" of green material.

You can also used shredded paper, if you make regular use of a shredder...