• Sep 8th, 2007 1:17 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 6, 2005
175 posts
9 upvotes

Using phone card with cell phone

If I used a phone card to call from Toronto to Vancouver on my cell phone, do I still get charged by Rogers for long distance?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6876 posts
1067 upvotes
BC
So long as the phone card access # is a local or toll free number, you'll only use up your local minutes.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2002
1919 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I always thought that the phone cards don't work with cellphones.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5757 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
I use www.babatel.com all the time for all my longdistance phone calls. As long as you are in the 416 area and dial their 416 number, you will not get charged by rogers. The only thing rogers will do is count the call as regular airtime!!!! In fact I used Babatel's 1-877# and didn't get charged when I was in montreal last month!!!!!!

sk
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
hardcoredummy wrote:
Sep 7th, 2007 7:47 am
I always thought that the phone cards don't work with cellphones.
phone cards are simply a card with a local phone number you dial, and a password/Pin. The local number connects your call, its the same as calling your friend ,your uncle and your aunt bertha.,

Cellphones can place calls to any number, including local numbers. you will enter your password/pin just like you do on your landline phone at home. Can't get any easier. it also uses up your local minutes just like if you were to call your cousin, your uncle or your aunt bertha
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
100 upvotes
Yak has a useful long-distance service option if you have a cell phone plan that gives you free incoming calls. You call their special access number. It pretends to be busy so there's no charge, but it gets your caller ID. You hang up, and it calls you back as an incoming local call a few seconds later. Then you place your long-distance call using Yak.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2002
1919 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Paolo wrote:
Sep 7th, 2007 11:54 am
phone cards are simply a card with a local phone number you dial, and a password/Pin. The local number connects your call, its the same as calling your friend ,your uncle and your aunt bertha.,
I know how they worked. At one time, you couldn't call these numbers from your cellphone. I should know, my parents sell about 50 different brands at their store.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20261 posts
1844 upvotes
Toronto
hardcoredummy wrote:
Sep 8th, 2007 12:28 pm
I know how they worked. At one time, you couldn't call these numbers from your cellphone. I should know, my parents sell about 50 different brands at their store.
not sure how long ago that was but I have been using phone cards for about 2 years now and it is works fine with my cell (or any phone for that matter).
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote:
Sep 8th, 2007 12:30 pm
not sure how long ago that was but I have been using phone cards for about 2 years now and it is works fine with my cell (or any phone for that matter).
I used to have a cellphone back in the Rogers Cantel era, yes it was Analogue too. I never remembered calling cards not working. Heck, I even used a calling card on my Analogue cellphone in the states (buffalo) some 15 years ago and remember it working too.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2002
1919 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Paolo wrote:
Sep 8th, 2007 12:38 pm
I used to have a cellphone back in the Rogers Cantel era, yes it was Analogue too. I never remembered calling cards not working. Heck, I even used a calling card on my Analogue cellphone in the states (buffalo) some 15 years ago and remember it working too.
A calling card is different. That's prepaid to be used with a phonebooth. Phone cards at one point didn't work with cellphones. I tried it in the past to get around the cell phone long distance charges (this was about 10 years ago as well).

Phone cards didn't work with phonebooths back then either.

If i had to take a guess why they work now, is because they're no longer buying time from Bell, but using VOIP technology, so Bell can't put limitations like that. But i know for a FACT that at one point these things did not work for cellphones (so obviously you're lying when you said you used them 15 years ago)
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
hardcoredummy wrote:
Sep 8th, 2007 12:43 pm
A calling card is different. That's prepaid to be used with a phonebooth. Phone cards at one point didn't work with cellphones. I tried it in the past to get around the cell phone long distance charges (this was about 10 years ago as well).

Phone cards didn't work with phonebooths back then either.

If i had to take a guess why they work now, is because they're no longer buying time from Bell, but using VOIP technology, so Bell can't put limitations like that. But i know for a FACT that at one point these things did not work for cellphones (so obviously you're lying when you said you used them 15 years ago)
Buddy, I'm not lying. they WORKED. Perhaps SOME cards did not work? or SOME cellphone carriers did not support certain numerical exchanges (numbers), is more likely your situation, but I've been working in Telecom for close to half my life, I know my sh1t. I used a calling card in buffalo on my Cantel Motorola DPC cellphone roaming on a carrier called Cellular One to call back to canada, (had to pay roaming, but saved the additional LD fees) and it worked, the funny thing, almost all amps subscribers numbers in those days were not showing on caller id back then yet they were still private when they called landlines, but somehow the calling card "passed through" our cell number to the landline network, so at home it showed up too, which was unusual but definately worked bro.