Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham

Using shorter wiper blades ...

My car uses 24" (Driver) & 18" (Passenger) ...

My buddy who is a mechanic told me that it is not necessary to use the 24" on the driver side ... an 18" is sufficient because most of the windshield you would not be seeing through ... it also saves the life of the wiper motor and less resistance ...

Anybody else out there use shorter blades than factory?

**when I need to replace my wipers I just ask him because he just grabs it off the shelf at the shop ...
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
24 replies
Dec 27, 2008
174 posts
4 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote: My car uses 24" (Driver) & 18" (Passenger) ...

My buddy who is a mechanic told me that it is not necessary to use the 24" on the driver side ... an 18" is sufficient because most of the windshield you would not be seeing through ... it also saves the life of the wiper motor and less resistance ...

Anybody else out there use shorter blades than factory?

**when I need to replace my wipers I just ask him because he just grabs it off the shelf at the shop ...

because he didnt have 24" available . :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2006
2941 posts
50 upvotes
LOL @ avatar

I bet your wiper blades are made in China. He sold you the 18"s because he doesn't have 24s in stock.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1130 posts
211 upvotes
YYZ
OP to offense but your friend is whack!!!!

if your buddy was for real then everybody would have done the same thing and it would have been a normal thing hence the no need to ask ppl on RFD in this case!

like the previous 2 members have stated he simply said that due to the fact he was out of stock and did not want to loose a sale!
Nov 23, 2006
840 posts
23 upvotes
Markham
:::

LOL... Maybe he is right, but I will still use the
24" if the car is design for that size...!

:::
[=Talon88=]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
cost is the same, so I would use as per manufacturer specs. 24"
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Keigotw wrote: cost is the same, so I would use as per manufacturer specs. 24"

+1 usually the same price lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
soniko wrote: because he didnt have 24" available . :facepalm:

I was in the stock room with him ... the 24" were in stock ...

He has a Civic that uses 21" but he went down to 16" ...

Well ... same can be said about those losers out there that have Preludes with ONLY 1 wiper blade ... that's even more stupid and ridiculous ...

And to boot ... if car manufacturer specs are supposed to be ORIGINAL ... why do people mod their cars? Such as lowering the car? Changing the mufflers to those annoying loud ones? Changing to bigger rims and wider tires so that they literally kiss the ground??
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
I use wipers a bit shorter, they tend to lift off a bit less at high speed... but my car is pretty old. The springs must be pretty loose!

If you need wipers, the Michelin @ Costco are hard to beat.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
CAREFUL what you are about to buy will very very likly be made is the Great and Glorious PEOPLE's REPUBLIC OF CHINA

Bow down in fear of our great leader mao....for he will shine greatness to Taiwan and bring the People back to Republic of China....

18s are fine...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
Kunman wrote: Bow down in fear of our great leader mao....for he will shine greatness to Taiwan and bring the People back to Republic of China....
I like that comment ... but you should not forget .. if it wasn't for Dr. Sun Yat Sen ... there would be no Mao ...
Nov 4, 2005
334 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
i'm with the others, why would you want to do this if the price is the same?
May 23, 2011
759 posts
233 upvotes
KitKatDark wrote: i'm with the others, why would you want to do this if the price is the same?

Puts less stress on your flange and reduces wind resistance, saving you fuel and money.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
I don't use wiper blades, just rainx/aquapel/whatever windshield treatment.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I can understand if prices are different but I pay $11+ toy any size at Costco.

Besides if you want less stress and improve visibility use Rain-X.

As for MODDING majority is just for looks. I personally just focus on improving Handling and don't bother with anything else other than Suspension/Tires.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
ToNIX wrote: If you need wipers, the Michelin @ Costco are hard to beat.
+1, those hybrids were best wipers I've used so far.
[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tqqN ... AG0123.jpg[/IMG]

I use stock size, if that matters :)
After all we are living in the center of the Universe.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I can understand if prices are different but I pay $11+ toy any size at Costco.

Besides if you want less stress and improve visibility use Rain-X.

As for MODDING majority is just for looks. I personally just focus on improving Handling and don't bother with anything else other than Suspension/Tires.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Dec 3, 2018
1 posts
I’m with the other comments. If your car requires a certain size, just follow the directions. Don’t overthink things and let mechanics keep charging unnecessary parts when you take it in. Our insurance premiums aren’t gonna go down any time in my lifetime but the way this subject characterized your “buddy” isn’t in the best light. He probably got a couple high fives as you walked out the door. Maybe some friend who bet he couldn’t sell you a set of those damn 18’s they had since 1996
Jul 24, 2014
211 posts
170 upvotes
Ontario
You can get away with using a smaller size if you’re in a pinch.

However, there’s a reason why the manufacturer designed the car with a specific wiper size. I would follow what’s recommended by the manufacturer.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to save your wiper motor and improve your gas mileage OP, just run no wipers at all

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)