• Dec 9th, 2018 7:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1786 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto

Using Tangerine debit in Global ATM Alliance in Australia

Searched some threads and seems like most people haven’t had luck using the Westpac ATMs in Australia even though they are part of the Global ATM Alliance.

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY used the ATMs using their Tangerine or even Scotiabank debit cards? My PIN number is correct, I verified it in Canada before I came and I can log into the ATM screen up to getting the actual cash part where it says “card or account is not valid”.

I hadn’t notified Tangerine that I would be in Australia but then I also had no issues using the ATMs in Peru and St Lucia before, albeit those were Scotiabanks. Is that what is the main factor here?

Also having some issues getting a hold of customer service as i have unlimited calling to Canada here but the 416 number says it’s not in service and the chat in the app just keeps saying connecting. I’ll try again tomorrow but yikes, good thing I got some cash out back home.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
1351 posts
510 upvotes
Raincouver
rockthecasbah wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 12:34 am
Searched some threads and seems like most people haven’t had luck using the Westpac ATMs in Australia even though they are part of the Global ATM Alliance.

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY used the ATMs using their Tangerine or even Scotiabank debit cards? My PIN number is correct, I verified it in Canada before I came and I can log into the ATM screen up to getting the actual cash part where it says “card or account is not valid”.

I hadn’t notified Tangerine that I would be in Australia but then I also had no issues using the ATMs in Peru and St Lucia before, albeit those were Scotiabanks. Is that what is the main factor here?

Also having some issues getting a hold of customer service as i have unlimited calling to Canada here but the 416 number says it’s not in service and the chat in the app just keeps saying connecting. I’ll try again tomorrow but yikes, good thing I got some cash out back home.
the 416 number. you dialled +1 416 yes? have you also tried 001 416?
For Tangerine part, I wonder if the ATM has the Cirrus logo tho. Scotia Mexico had the issue no Cirrus/MC.
If yes... I guess they just don't like it..... Scotia VISA Debit will definitely work because of their VISA
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1786 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
dekvitaly wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 12:41 am
the 416 number. you dialled +1 416 yes? have you also tried 001 416?
For Tangerine part, I wonder if the ATM has the Cirrus logo tho. Scotia Mexico had the issue no Cirrus/MC.
If yes... I guess they just don't like it..... Scotia VISA Debit will definitely work because of their VISA
Yep I called the one on the contact page and the collect number in the format of +014167562424
I get an Australian voice saying that they have been advised that the number has been disconnected. Maybe I’ll try the collect call on a payphone.

I’ll try chat again tomorrow during their business hours. Their chat is honestly is the worst and I was on “connecting” for 40 mins. Luckily I have 20 gb of data here.

I wish they have form mail or something.
Also tweeted them to see if that does anything. I hope it’s just needing to be notified that I am traveling!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1786 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
dekvitaly wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 1:42 am
@rockthecasbah the +01 form looks very not right. It's either +1 or 001 for area code.

I have Google Hangouts as always to call Canada/USA (Free)
Oh yes you are very right. I just googled it and apparently I need to dial out using 0011
“Exit code for Australia, and is needed for making any international call from Australia.”

So I add that to the beginning of the 1416 part and THEN it worked!!
Also thanks for the tip about Hangouts, I forgot that Hangouts has free calls so that is also useful for traveling.

Will give them a call tomorrow and hope that a travel alert is all that’s needed to get me some cash out of the ABM!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1786 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Here’s a fun and exciting update. After calling Tangerine to alert them I was in Australia, they said give it 24 hours to try again. Which I did. Then it still didn’t work and I called again, turns out there was an issue with the account or set up so they had to push a change through to the network and it works now. So I don’t know what exactly the issue is but it finally worked and for anyone searching for Tangerine Global ATM alliance and Australia on here, have them check for any issues on your account to prevent withdrawals.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)