Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 2, 2008
71 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal

Using Visa Gift Cards Online with Futureshop

Hi, i am receiving 2 visa gift cards and want to make a online puchase with them and wish to buy a laptop. The laptop is more than a single limit of one gift card. Ex. 2, 500$ gift cards while the laptop might cost 700$. Is it possible to use 2 visa gift cards online through futureshop to make a single purchase of a product? I noticed there's a section in checkout where it says no credit card and has a box for gift cards but i thought those might be multiple futureshop gift cards and not visa gift cards. If anybody has any information on how this might work then let me know.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
boobnewb wrote:
Dec 18th, 2008 9:38 pm
Hi, i am receiving 2 visa gift cards and want to make a online puchase with them and wish to buy a laptop. The laptop is more than a single limit of one gift card. Ex. 2, 500$ gift cards while the laptop might cost 700$. Is it possible to use 2 visa gift cards online through futureshop to make a single purchase of a product? I noticed there's a section in checkout where it says no credit card and has a box for gift cards but i thought those might be multiple futureshop gift cards and not visa gift cards. If anybody has any information on how this might work then let me know.
Futureshop won't let you use mutliple CCs online... you should be able to do so in store though...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
[OP]
Dec 2, 2008
71 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
Yes, except that defeats the purpose. I wanted to try and get an online deal online on boxing day without having to get crushed by a million people in store or wait 3 + hrs in the store to pay or not even get a good deal at all once everyone else already beat me to it. Simply using both cards online together to make one single purchase online would be much greater and possibly take advantage of better deals online. What about the no credit card/gift card checkout option, is that only applicable towards future shop gift cards? Or should i just buy a future shop gift card? i wanted to use visa to take advantage of any store that might have a sale as opposed to future shop so that would really limit my options though. If anybody else has an answer then please let me know.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
boobnewb wrote:
Dec 18th, 2008 10:14 pm
Yes, except that defeats the purpose. I wanted to try and get an online deal online on boxing day without having to get crushed by a million people in store or wait 3 + hrs in the store to pay or not even get a good deal at all once everyone else already beat me to it. Simply using both cards online together to make one single purchase online would be much greater and possibly take advantage of better deals online. What about the no credit card/gift card checkout option, is that only applicable towards future shop gift cards? Or should i just buy a future shop gift card? i wanted to use visa to take advantage of any store that might have a sale as opposed to future shop so that would really limit my options though. If anybody else has an answer then please let me know.
I see your point...but this is a tricky solution whichever way you try it... most if not all online stores will not let you use multiple CCs to pay.

It will work if you buy Gift Cards from FS (max 3 Gift Cards to be used online though)

I assume you're doing this because you don't have access to a regular CC...is there any chance you can borrow someone's CC and pay them?
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
[OP]
Dec 2, 2008
71 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
I have my own credit card but it's a student card with a max limit of 500$ from td canada trust. I don't see how i can use it if the laptop costs 600$ let's say. I could do a credit card combo/fs gift card idea but that also would defeat the purpose as i may not necessary buy it from future shop and may want to buy the laptop from dumoulin, best buy, staples/bureau en gros or whichever had the best individual deal for a laptop on boxing day. That's why on future shop i noticed it says gift card and like you said you could put a maximum of 3 cards in there and if i was able to simply put my two visa gift card numbers in there then that would be awesome but sadly i think it's only for fs gift cards. If you have any solution as to what i could do with my own credit card then that would be great but i don't think i can get a extension of credit as i'm unemployed and have a subpar credit rating at the moment so i'd be stuck with my 500$ limit.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
boobnewb wrote:
Dec 19th, 2008 1:09 pm
I have my own credit card but it's a student card with a max limit of 500$ from td canada trust. I don't see how i can use it if the laptop costs 600$ let's say. I could do a credit card combo/fs gift card idea but that also would defeat the purpose as i may not necessary buy it from future shop and may want to buy the laptop from dumoulin, best buy, staples/bureau en gros or whichever had the best individual deal for a laptop on boxing day. That's why on future shop i noticed it says gift card and like you said you could put a maximum of 3 cards in there and if i was able to simply put my two visa gift card numbers in there then that would be awesome but sadly i think it's only for fs gift cards. If you have any solution as to what i could do with my own credit card then that would be great but i don't think i can get a extension of credit as i'm unemployed and have a subpar credit rating at the moment so i'd be stuck with my 500$ limit.

Give TD a call anyways. One thing to clear up would be, if you were to pay your CC into positive (so $500 limit + $300 payment) would they process a payment for $800? ...

Be upfront with the agent about what you want to do, you may find that they'll be willing to raise the limit even if to just go to $800 ... also any chance your two VISA Gift Cards can be combined into one card?

A good solution in terms of Prepaid CCs would have been http://www3.bmo.com/mosaik/perform_feat ... ?&PUID=272 (since the max you can load is 10000 )Also take a look at for all the offers http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... redit+card
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
[OP]
Dec 2, 2008
71 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
it was my mother who went to BMO and they mentioned the 2 visa gift cards with a maximum amount of 500$ on each card. I don't think you can combine them otherwise i would have. Can you clarify the payment option with visa? I would call up visa, and if i have 500$ limit, and i payed 800$ towards my credit card, it might extend my credit to beyond 500$? If i were to pay online though wouldn't my credit card still not process as it would still read it as over 500$ or by clarifying it with visa would that no process suddenly clear by giving them a call? And i call visa not the bank right?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
boobnewb wrote:
Dec 19th, 2008 2:03 pm
it was my mother who went to BMO and they mentioned the 2 visa gift cards with a maximum amount of 500$ on each card. I don't think you can combine them otherwise i would have. Can you clarify the payment option with visa? I would call up visa, and if i have 500$ limit, and i payed 800$ towards my credit card, it might extend my credit to beyond 500$? If i were to pay online though wouldn't my credit card still not process as it would still read it as over 500$ or by clarifying it with visa would that no process suddenly clear by giving them a call? And i call visa not the bank right?
If the two cards are actually BMO Mosaik Prepaid Cards, it's likely the clerk was misinformed.

In any case if they are indeed that, grab one of them, go to a BMO machine and withdraw the cash (you'll lose $1.50).

Deposit the cash on your bank acct. and load it to the other card (hence combined)

See http://www3.bmo.com/mosaik/perform_faq_ ... UID=336#q1

About TD, call the number on the back of your card ... or TD directly (the EASY Web line, and ask to be transferred to the appropriate department). It is the bank not VISA that decides to extend you credit....
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
[OP]
Dec 2, 2008
71 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
I think it was for sure a visa gift card they recommended. She has yet to do anything and was given advice on visa gift card by me as she prefers visa as she previously had a mastercard and ended up cancelling as she does not really believe in credit cards. She mentioned this card (visa gift card) because it was prepaid but if what you showed me is true, then the mastercard prepaid travel card is the same thing from what i could tell but with a limit higher than 500$ which is exactly what i need. She has an account with BMO and from what i could tell it's for a one time payment so there's no need keep it beyond the expiry date and futureshop etc. accepts masterdcard and they could load the funds directly on the card from the branch from what i read correct? It might take maximum of 48hrs but i would still be able to use it for boxing day. If not i'll try option #2 and speak with my local branch about extending my credit for the single purchase if possible.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2008
71 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
i should add that i asked my mother to get a credit card and then i'd use hers to make the purchase, the problem with this is she's a member with BMO and they only offer mastercard from what i could tell and she would want to get a visa card. Also, the time it would take to possibly receive the card in the mail of either visa/mastercard might be longer than after boxing day and would defeat the purpose of having a card ready in time for that period.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
359 upvotes
Etobicoke
emoci wrote:
Dec 19th, 2008 1:28 pm
Give TD a call anyways. One thing to clear up would be, if you were to pay your CC into positive (so $500 limit + $300 payment) would they process a payment for $800? ...

Be upfront with the agent about what you want to do, you may find that they'll be willing to raise the limit even if to just go to $800 ... also any chance your two VISA Gift Cards can be combined into one card?

A good solution in terms of Prepaid CCs would have been http://www3.bmo.com/mosaik/perform_feat ... ?&PUID=272 (since the max you can load is 10000 )Also take a look at for all the offers http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... redit+card
Why call TD? Why even ask here and go back and forth with different opinions for 5 hours? Why not just call FS and ask them? You probably would have had an answer to your quandry hours ago.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2008
71 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
I will, i happen to have 2 exams today and then i'm done so i'm doing this in between studying while at school. But future shop or no futureshop, it deals more with the issue of pre-paid credit cards in general and whether you can use 2 non store-related pre-paid credit cards at the same time, and what other options are available to me in my predicament. Perhaps, i see a deal at best buy and was forced to buy a future shop gift card to be able to buy a laptop online, can't do that. Why not just go to the store then? Well, if i can get a door crasher deal online and save money from the comfort of my home then why not? If there is a better method then visa i mentioned before for someone with no credit card or low credit limit ,what is it?

I think these are questions other people might need to know also. And if there is a problem and future shop doesn't allow it, would that be considered counter-productive or illegal even if they allow their own cards to be used while eliminating other forms of payment? Credit card seems rather low on a list of purchase options, can you phone future shop and use a money order or cheque also? I wish you could do a secure wire transfer,would make my life and online shopping not dealing with credit limit questions. But others gave me the travel card with mastercard option which i will look into and have helped a lot, so thanks for those that gave constructive answers back.