Food & Drink

Using Yogurt/Applesauce/Bananas instead of Butter/Eggs in Baking?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2011 2:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4852 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto (Central)

Using Yogurt/Applesauce/Bananas instead of Butter/Eggs in Baking?

Has anyone attempted this before in baking: replace eggs with bananas/applesauce and yogurt/applesauce for butter.

Many vegetarian/Vegan sites recommend this, but I think their taste buds might be used to something different due to their lifestyles. I’m doing this strictly for caloric concerns.

For those of you who HAVE attempted this, what should I keep in mind in terms of overdoing it, or reducing/increasing the temperature/time while in the oven?

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6117 posts
979 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
I have (had?) one specific cookie recipe that used apple sauce instead of butter/margerine/oil and it was a fantastic recipe (ie. taste did not suffer at all). In general though I have no idea how well these substitutes work, but will be interesting to see how others reply :)
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1465 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 11:19 am
Has anyone attempted this before in baking: replace eggs with bananas/applesauce and yogurt/applesauce for butter.

Many vegetarian/Vegan sites recommend this, but I think their taste buds might be used to something different due to their lifestyles. I’m doing this strictly for caloric concerns.

For those of you who HAVE attempted this, what should I keep in mind in terms of overdoing it, or reducing/increasing the temperature/time while in the oven?

Thanks!

For baking, simply switching one out for the other won't work often. If you are interested in this so you can have something but with less calories; look into specific low calorie recipes or recipes specific for using apple sauces instead of oil/butter.

I make a banana loaf with apple sauce instead of oil/butter, but still use eggs. Its a recipe I had to work on to get it where it is now.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2486 posts
210 upvotes
If you're trying to address caloric concerns, you should probably be avoiding sugars and starches altogether, which means all baked goods. Not avoiding starches but trying to swap out butter is like going to mcdonalds, ordering a big mac with a large coke and getting a veggie burger instead meat patty.

As far as substition goes, you cannot do this direcly in all situations. In certain cases, you can make substitutions and get decent results, but you'll have to do research and experimentation for it work. Eggs cannot be subsituted since they help form the physical structure of the item you're baking. Even though vegan bakers have found ways.. but ever tried a vegan baked good? Feh.

Lastly, be aware that just because someone wrote a recipe, doesn't mean that they cooked it at any point prior to writing. There's no gaurantee that it will work or come out with results that anyone would actually enjoy.
Apr 14, 2010
405 posts
134 upvotes
In many muffin/cake recipes you can subsitute applesauce for OIL. Do not sub in recipes calling for butter. I often use applesauce instead of oil in my baking. You can definitely tell the difference though - it results in a "chewier" texture.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4852 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Thanks for the insight, and to bargainista! the recipe looks great; will try it over the weekend.

Does anyone know of any good sites that have a wide selection of tried and tested low-calorie and/or high protein/low fat type recipes?
Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
I experimented swapping butter for apple sauce (knowing full well it would be weird), and yeah, it of course came out super dry. The apple sauce for oil is way better.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
5921 posts
1153 upvotes
Scarborough
newt_101 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 10:38 am
Thanks for the insight, and to bargainista! the recipe looks great; will try it over the weekend.

Does anyone know of any good sites that have a wide selection of tried and tested low-calorie and/or high protein/low fat type recipes?
Thanks!

Here's one that looks to have had good reviews. Low carb and good amount of protein with the use of the black beans.
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... ipe=971227
If I was making it I would use regular/ omega 3 eggs instead of the substitute. And use maple syrup and extra cocoa powder in place of the sugar free chocolate syrup.
Feb 6, 2007
424 posts
58 upvotes
I regularly substitute applesauce for the fats in my recipes with no noticeable effect. I've done this with muffins, brownies, quick rise breads and even yeast bread (baked an oatmeal bread with half white and half whole wheat flour, apple sauce, honey and it was delicious, not to mention low/fat free!). For cookies though I would stick with butter (never tried substituting for the butter).

For the eggs, I guess you could always use egg whites as opposed to whole eggs if you're concerned about calories/cholesterol. Here's a conversion table I found online:

Egg Conversions
*Based on a large (2 oz) egg

Whole eggs
3 whole eggs = ½ cup
1 whole egg = 3 tablespoons
½ whole egg = 4 teaspoons

Yolks
6-7 egg yolks = ½ cup
1 egg yolk = 1 tablespoon

Whites
4-6 egg whites = ½ cup
1 egg white = 2 tablespoons

So you could substitute 3tbsp egg white for 1 whole egg.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
A couple weeks ago this girl I know made vegan cupcakes with a cake mix and mashed banana.
she used a chocolate cake mix, not sure the brand.

was tasty,but the cupcakes kind of fall apart easily.
you prob need something to hold them together better, like egg replacer maybe or some kind of gum?
× < >