Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2012
1191 posts
46 upvotes
NORTH YORK

using your own modem with bell internet

i tried all three of bell's current modem/routers (sagencom connection hub, cellpipe, 2wire) and they all are terrible

is it possible to save the rental fees and buy my own modem-router to use with bell fibe? or is there some kind of security feature to prevent that

im looking to get a cisco/linksys x2000

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=044323
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3159 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto
IamToronto wrote: i tried all three of bell's current modem/routers (sagencom connection hub, cellpipe, 2wire) and they all are terrible

is it possible to save the rental fees and buy my own modem-router to use with bell fibe? or is there some kind of security feature to prevent that

im looking to get a cisco/linksys x2000

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=044323
My understanding is that you can buy your own DSL modem to replace any of their devices, except for the sagecom connection hub. Regarding which 3rd party modem is compatible with which Bell plan, you'll have to call them. I mean, you're going to do that anyways right? You're not going to go out and buy a device without checking with your service provider that they'll accept it, right?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
Best to my knowledge,
Third party modems/gateways are not supported by Bell.

When asked, their own techs could not provide info. on configuring their own 2Wire gateway devices to act in bridge mode!
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2927 posts
334 upvotes
Nations Capital
any third party modem will work on Bell as long as your Not on the 25/10 Service. Then you pretty much have to use the Sagemcom or find another compatible VDSL2 modem, which are hard to find and expensive.

The Only problem with this is Bell will not support you if you are using a 3rd party modem. So before calling in for support, re-hook up your Bell modem and you should be fine.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1991 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
Just out of curiosity.

what is so terrible about the modems ?

Connections issues, slow, not capable of doing what you want ?

Have a 2wire on 16 megs. And it is working great for me.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5185 posts
1828 upvotes
Mississauga
For Bell, You can't waive the rental fee even if you use your own modem.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2012
1191 posts
46 upvotes
NORTH YORK
GateGuardian wrote: For Bell, You can't waive the rental fee even if you use your own modem.
huh? i havent paid a rental fee in years LOL

when they send me replacements, they dont even ask for the old ones back. i have three 2wires, one cellpipe, and two sagemcoms sitting around.
the sagemcoms are pretty good, and they support VDSL which i'll need as im upgrading to one of the 10mbps upload plans. i just dont trust bell home networking. i guess ill just buy a wifi router and use the sagemcom in bridge mode. its so big and if im only using it for its modem features id rather have something much smaller.

oh well. thanks for the replies, RFD
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3159 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto
IamToronto wrote: huh? i havent paid a rental fee in years LOL

when they send me replacements, they dont even ask for the old ones back. i have three 2wires, one cellpipe, and two sagemcoms sitting around.
the sagemcoms are pretty good, and they support VDSL which i'll need as im upgrading to one of the 10mbps upload plans. i just dont trust bell home networking. i guess ill just buy a wifi router and use the sagemcom in bridge mode. its so big and if im only using it for its modem features id rather have something much smaller.

oh well. thanks for the replies, RFD
FYI the sagecom can only be put into bridgemode by bell techs. End users are locked out of bridge settings.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
only ADSL1 and ADSL2+ modems bought in store will work.
VDSL2 aka any bell fibe package with upload higher then 1 meg MUST use bell supplied hardware.
bell uses a non standard VDSL2 deployment with vlans and profile that only a few hardware vendors are currently supporting.
the only way around this is to use your own router in conjunction with the sagencom or cellpipe if you want higher upload speeds on bell fibe and better routing.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
FALSE.

to put the bell modem in bridge mode.
hit the factory reset button at the bottom.
this will clear the username and password fields in the modem for internet and tv and replace it with the default bell tech admin credentials.
wait until the modem reboots and you have 2 solid blue lights on sync and internet.
then plug in your own router which you should have already have put your bell pppoe credentials... into ANY sagencom LAN port and have your router set to autodial.
wait for your router to establish the connection and voila you have net.
then you want to press and hold the wifi button on your sagencom for a few seconds to turn off the wifi antenna.
done.

setup has to be done this way because bell assumed at the time all internet subs for vdsl2 would be bundling with iptv.
iptv needs a 0.36 aka 0 / 36 vpi/vci aka /36 vlan. while internet uses 0.35 aka 0 / 35 aka /35 vlan.
point is the sagencom still needs to make that /36 vlan connection to the stinger or there will be no sync.
with or without an iptv sub this is a requirement of the 733x vdsl2 xslam.
we can dial pppoe with any hardware in bridge but we cannot do the same for the iptv /36 since we do not have the hardware to do this over bridge.
also the /36 side uses mac address white listing. this is to control what iptv boxes and gateways are allowed on the network. good luck trying to get around that.
0xffff wrote: FYI the sagecom can only be put into bridgemode by bell techs. End users are locked out of bridge settings.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2012
1191 posts
46 upvotes
NORTH YORK
xalex0 wrote: The OP indicates otherwise.
lol yea.. i just added that there, i havent been charged since i switched to a fibe plan

a technician came today (simply to replace my broken sagemcom with a newer one.. yea.. cuz its so hard for them to just ship it) and the guy told me i can keep the old broken sagemcom modem.
now if i switch to teksavvy or something, ill send bell the broken one when they ask for it and ill keep the working one for teksavvy :D (if its supported)
0xffff wrote: FYI the sagecom can only be put into bridgemode by bell techs. End users are locked out of bridge settings.
they told me i have to plug in my router and hit restart on the modem to get it into bridge mode
infamouskid wrote: FALSE.

to put the bell modem in bridge mode.
hit the factory reset button at the bottom.
this will clear the username and password fields in the modem for internet and tv and replace it with the default bell tech admin credentials.
wait until the modem reboots and you have 2 solid blue lights on sync and internet.
then plug in your own router which you should have already have put your bell pppoe credentials... into ANY sagencom LAN port and have your router set to autodial.
wait for your router to establish the connection and voila you have net.
then you want to press and hold the wifi button on your sagencom for a few seconds to turn off the wifi antenna.
done.
yea, that.
Oct 24, 2013
1 posts
Toronto, ON
I think I can answer of Why they want a VDSL2 modem to replace Bell. On the Bell modem, you cannot set the port forwarding regardless. I have tried and Bell folks tells me that they do not have support for that but they direct me to a page that shows how to do it but I already did tried their way and it still don't work.

I think this feature is actually disabled internally and no end user can change the settings.

If there's a way, then please tell me.

Model #: SagemCom 2864
Jan 27, 2014
88 posts
12 upvotes
Oakville, ON
WildFire2000 wrote: I think I can answer of Why they want a VDSL2 modem to replace Bell. On the Bell modem, you cannot set the port forwarding regardless. I have tried and Bell folks tells me that they do not have support for that but they direct me to a page that shows how to do it but I already did tried their way and it still don't work.

I think this feature is actually disabled internally and no end user can change the settings.

If there's a way, then please tell me.

Model #: SagemCom 2864
I have not found a way to successfully port forward with any bell modems, which was a problem for me since I play video games, and my Nat type was always moderate, which sucked. Is it still true that you cannot use your own modem with Bell's 25/10 plan? I recently signed up for Contact.net 25/10 plan, but I am not getting the promised speeds, so I might just keep bell. I would like to keep the modem that I was using with Contact.net since I have successfully port forwarded on it, without any troubles. If anyone has any experience or any advice at all, please feel free to let me know!
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1044 upvotes
London
VolDead08 wrote: I have not found a way to successfully port forward with any bell modems, which was a problem for me since I play video games, and my Nat type was always moderate, which sucked. Is it still true that you cannot use your own modem with Bell's 25/10 plan? I recently signed up for Contact.net 25/10 plan, but I am not getting the promised speeds, so I might just keep bell. I would like to keep the modem that I was using with Contact.net since I have successfully port forwarded on it, without any troubles. If anyone has any experience or any advice at all, please feel free to let me know!
You may be able to use the SmartRG with Bell. Although if you're getting 25/10 on Bell, you should have no problem getting 25/10 with other providers like Contact (unless Contact has issues with their backbone capacity).
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
that makes no sense. whatever speed profile you get with bell at one location...you should be able to get the same speed profile with contact on the same line.
VolDead08 wrote: I have not found a way to successfully port forward with any bell modems, which was a problem for me since I play video games, and my Nat type was always moderate, which sucked. Is it still true that you cannot use your own modem with Bell's 25/10 plan? I recently signed up for Contact.net 25/10 plan, but I am not getting the promised speeds, so I might just keep bell. I would like to keep the modem that I was using with Contact.net since I have successfully port forwarded on it, without any troubles. If anyone has any experience or any advice at all, please feel free to let me know!
Jan 27, 2014
88 posts
12 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Scycotic wrote: You may be able to use the SmartRG with Bell. Although if you're getting 25/10 on Bell, you should have no problem getting 25/10 with other providers like Contact (unless Contact has issues with their backbone capacity).
I do get the same speed, just during certain times, I lose all my speed, Friday I was at 8/8 for a good 6-8 hours and then Saturday was the same, it was 5/7 for a good couple hours.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
open a ticket. i never experience slow down.
VolDead08 wrote: I do get the same speed, just during certain times, I lose all my speed, Friday I was at 8/8 for a good 6-8 hours and then Saturday was the same, it was 5/7 for a good couple hours.
Jan 27, 2014
88 posts
12 upvotes
Oakville, ON
infamouskid wrote: open a ticket. i never experience slow down.
I have, they didnt install dryloop like they were suppose to, so they think that is what could be causing it. They told me to call in when I reset the modem so they can run a line test. They cannot even see that I was connected. Bell Techs can be the best or the worst at times.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)