Shopping Discussion

USPS + Canadian Customs delays/charges..

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2011 2:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1311 posts
492 upvotes

USPS + Canadian Customs delays/charges..

Any idea how long generally does an item shipped from the US to CANADA take in customs? Last time i checked the status it says that item crossed into Canada on Sept 18th.. Today is Sept 23 and still no update.

- How long does it generally take?
- If the item is $50 and the shipping charge was $40, how much am I expected to pay in custom charges and taxes if its coming from Florida to Ottawa?

Thanks!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1450 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
The tracking from USPS doesn't track it once it's in Canada.
The tracking will only update once the package is delivered to you.
It should show on USPS tracking something like this.

Into Foreign Customs CANADA 09/21/09 4:46pm
Arrived Abroad CANADA

You shouldn't pay anything in taxes or duty.
I received a North Face jacket this morning from California, using USPS, I paid $110 USD for it, he put value at $50USD, no duty or taxes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1311 posts
492 upvotes
^ Oh ok, this is what mine says:

Your item left the United States from ISC MIAMI FL (USPS) at 1:09 PM on September 18, 2009. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

A friend told me you can check the status on canadapost, so I did and it says:

2009/09/18 13:09 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada

You're telling me both of these wont be updated with the status until it reaches my door?

Also, why wouldn't these be any custom charges? :\ It wasn't marked as gift.. How long did yours last at customs?
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11170 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
Correct, no more tracking until you receive it.

You'll get a flat fee for brokerage, and customs if it's over a certain amount. It is possible there will be no customs fee; it's hit or miss.

And it could be days or a week, depending on how much else Canada Post is moving through the system. Could be one day, also.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13485 posts
705 upvotes
I recently ordered a item from the states, shipped USPS, once the item entered canada I was surprised to find that there were tracking details from CP. "Left origin country" means it's still on route to the boarder and the USPS tracking says "left the United States from ISC MIAMI FL" this is where it left from. You will get notice in the USPS tracking when it reaches Canada, and then you will be able to track it with CP from there. Probably about 2 weeks total to get your package.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1311 posts
492 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2009 4:10 pm
I recently ordered a item from the states, shipped USPS, once the item entered canada I was surprised to find that there were tracking details from CP. "Left origin country" means it's still on route to the boarder and the USPS tracking says "left the United States from ISC MIAMI FL" this is where it left from. You will get notice in the USPS tracking when it reaches Canada, and then you will be able to track it with CP from there. Probably about 2 weeks total to get your package.
You're absolutley right. I see this now in CP:

2009/09/23 16:37 VILLE ST-LAURENT International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs

So this is where the waiting begins.. sigh.. This whole time it was just in transit!!! And yes, the USPS website has no other updates for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1450 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
My package stayed in Customs for 3 hours, i got the package 2 days later.
I think all the customs is done in Ontario.. i live in NB. So if your in Ont, you might get it in 1 day instead of 2.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1311 posts
492 upvotes
delavoie wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 7:35 am
My package stayed in Customs for 3 hours, i got the package 2 days later.
I think all the customs is done in Ontario.. i live in NB. So if your in Ont, you might get it in 1 day instead of 2.
Yes, you too are right, I just checked:

Detailed Results:

Into Foreign Customs, September 23, 2009, 4:37 pm, CANADA
Out of Foreign Customs, September 23, 2009, 7:28 pm, CANADA

I'm hoping if its that quick it means no custom charges? Were you charged?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1186 posts
110 upvotes
hello guys, bringing back old post to alive lol

status of my package has been like this since 3 days ago.

Into Foreign Customs, July 18, 2010, 11:24 am, CANADA

I mean, usually customs would not take more than 24 hours to be cleared?

Can anyone tell me if i should be ready for duties & tax? (i bought a used navigation unit from US, a seller put it in as gift)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5779 posts
20 upvotes
delavoie wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2009 3:05 pm
The tracking from USPS doesn't track it once it's in Canada.
The tracking will only update once the package is delivered to you.
It should show on USPS tracking something like this.

Into Foreign Customs CANADA 09/21/09 4:46pm
Arrived Abroad CANADA

You shouldn't pay anything in taxes or duty.
I received a North Face jacket this morning from California, using USPS, I paid $110 USD for it, he put value at $50USD, no duty or taxes.
sounds like a good deal on a NF jacket, can you give link?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1186 posts
110 upvotes
goJays wrote:
Jul 21st, 2010 4:27 pm
sounds like a good deal on a NF jacket, can you give link?
the OP was posted back in 2009, doubt if the deal still exists lol
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
1507 posts
68 upvotes
rapashoo wrote:
Jul 21st, 2010 4:23 pm
hello guys, bringing back old post to alive lol

status of my package has been like this since 3 days ago.

Into Foreign Customs, July 18, 2010, 11:24 am, CANADA

I mean, usually customs would not take more than 24 hours to be cleared?

Can anyone tell me if i should be ready for duties & tax? (i bought a used navigation unit from US, a seller put it in as gift)
Does that matter at this point? You've already bought it.
A great salesman sells to himself - Confucius, no, I mean xvizardx LINK
xvizardx wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 4:22 am
...A sales person named John (who is a great sales person by the way)...I could not resist the price, so I bought it in a heart beat...
xvizardx wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 4:22 am
Hello everyone! I am an employee of Sony Canada...I will be at the Sony Store in Square One...look for John...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5760 posts
543 upvotes
rapashoo wrote:
Jul 21st, 2010 4:23 pm
i mean, usually customs would not take more than 24 hours to be cleared?
rofl!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
While we're on the subject, I just have one quick question about customs here in Canada:

I want to order a perfume online from a US store. The total cost of the order would be under $100. What is the Canadian customs policy? I read some reports that Canada Post sent people notices that their orders were destroyed because Canada Post doesn't process flammable materials. But apparently they have no problems processing it for Canadian stores. One way around it was by selecting shipping with UPS but then UPS charged exorbitant shipping and customs fees on delivery.

What should I do?
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
USPS tracking sucks. It still says processed through Chicago, in transit (also tried tracking on Canada Post, no results) when I recieved my package like 2 days ago.
× < >