Shopping Discussion

USPS recycled tracking numbers or am I being scammed?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2011 5:49 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 11, 2010
92 posts

USPS recycled tracking numbers or am I being scammed?

Hi,

The seller just gave me a tracking number/label no for USPS Priority mail international. And I tracked it, quiet surprised to see that it shows a delivery info, that the package was delivered abroad 2 years ago.

Do I have to worry about this, I am not sure if this is an issue. I asked the seller what the deal is, he swears it is a new tracking number and he just got it from USPS.

Does anyone know if USPS recycles tracking numbers?

Please advise!
14 replies
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
62 upvotes
Oddly enough, I came here to tease you and make you worry about how they don't recycle tracking numbers but then I realized I ordered some clothes today with a company that ships USPS so low and behold, I checked the tracking number AND ....

Label/Receipt Number: SDFKAJSHDKAJSHQWEHQKJWEHK

We attempted to deliver your item at 6:24 pm on April 24, 2009.

Looks like they do recycle them.

;)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5808 posts
495 upvotes
London
They really should clear the old delivery information when they reuse the numbers.
[OP]
Apr 11, 2010
92 posts
redgrandam wrote:
Apr 19th, 2011 4:16 pm
They really should clear the old delivery information when they reuse the numbers.

Your item was delivered in CANADA at 9:54 am on April 23, 2009.

Information on this item has been restored from offline files and will be available online for 30 days from 04/19/2011.
[OP]
Apr 11, 2010
92 posts
codename88 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2011 3:56 pm
Hi,

The seller just gave me a tracking number/label no for USPS Priority mail international. And I tracked it, quiet surprised to see that it shows a delivery info, that the package was delivered abroad 2 years ago.

Do I have to worry about this, I am not sure if this is an issue. I asked the seller what the deal is, he swears it is a new tracking number and he just got it from USPS.

Does anyone know if USPS recycles tracking numbers?

Please advise!

Whats with April 23, 24 from 2009. Mine shows April 23th 2009. Why the hell are they confusing people. damn!!
Sep 14, 2008
138 posts
4 upvotes
Where did you purchase your item from? Was it from Ebay, then you can dispute the charges
[OP]
Apr 11, 2010
92 posts
No its not from ebay. Its a direct purchase. I am not sure what happens when the package gets scanned.

Would it erase the old tracking data or it would show it as well as the newer one?
Sep 14, 2008
138 posts
4 upvotes
Is this from legit online store? and have you called USPS directly to make sure that the tracking number is valid - least they can give you some closure and you can go from there.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5808 posts
495 upvotes
London
Unless it is something critical I would give it a few days to update. USPS can be really slow to update. I don't think it will make a difference to file any claims now or in a few days. With any luck it will update with new information. That or call USPS to see if they will tell you. Hard to say if a call agent would have accurate info for something like this.
[OP]
Apr 11, 2010
92 posts
Barbara Ann wrote:
Apr 19th, 2011 5:29 pm
Is this from legit online store? and have you called USPS directly to make sure that the tracking number is valid - least they can give you some closure and you can go from there.

Thanks Ann. Yes, a few of us have gotten the recycled tracking number and it seems to be from 2009. USPS chat agent mentioned they recycle it after a certain amount of time. But, it is dumb that they dont delete the history.

I am wondering if it will show the new tracking info or if it wont. What a pain in the ass...
Oct 26, 2010
711 posts
853 upvotes
Call their toll-free number and ask them directly.

If you are concern about your package and the seller, call their toll-free number and ask them directly. Even if they do recycle tracking numbers who knows if he's really sending that particular parcel with that tracking # to your house. I had one problem on ebay that the seller gave me a tracking #, and also to paypal when I opened dispute. The parcel's delivery address wasn't even mine at the end, so I had to tell paypal clearly and got my refund.
[OP]
Apr 11, 2010
92 posts
Barbara Ann wrote:
Apr 19th, 2011 5:29 pm

Yea I called USPS, they said it is too early to see any updates even if it did work.

I am worried because what if the tracking does not show up at all. I can always do a visa charge back right, when I dont receive the merchandise? No matter what....

They cant use the old record to prove that it was delivered right. I cant imagine they are being that stupid to close the case on me when the invoice is 2 years later, than the delivery date.

Please advise!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5720 posts
508 upvotes
Chill out.

I ordered something that shipped Purolator and when I looked it up the tracking numbered showed a previous use 2 months ago. No big deal, the item arrived last week when it was supposed to and the duplicate number was no issue.

I really don't know what's with these duplicate numbers. Simply shouldn't happen since there's enough characters available to never have to go back and re-use but it looks like more than 1 company is having this problem. Let's call it the "Year 2011 glitch".
[OP]
Apr 11, 2010
92 posts
woof wrote:
Apr 19th, 2011 10:30 pm
Chill out.

I ordered something that shipped Purolator and when I looked it up the tracking numbered showed a previous use 2 months ago. No big deal, the item arrived last week when it was supposed to and the duplicate number was no issue.

I really don't know what's with these duplicate numbers. Simply shouldn't happen since there's enough characters available to never have to go back and re-use but it looks like more than 1 company is having this problem. Let's call it the "Year 2011 glitch".

w00t w00t!! the tracking has changed to

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on April 20, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later

The old tracking info was deleted automatically.

But why doesn't it say the package has been accepted, cuz store says it has been physically shipped out yesterday and was picked up by USPS scheduled pick up. Will it update later?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5808 posts
495 upvotes
London
codename88 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 5:38 pm
w00t w00t!! the tracking has changed to

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on April 20, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later

The old tracking info was deleted automatically.

But why doesn't it say the package has been accepted, cuz store says it has been physically shipped out yesterday and was picked up by USPS scheduled pick up. Will it update later?
In my experience USPS is even slower to update than Canada post. Hopefully tomorrow it will show something.
× < >