Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1181 posts
329 upvotes
ON

Utilizing two vehicles - how to go about it

We have two honda vehicles, one with 40k on it (2013 - financing) and the other with over 200k (2005 - paid off). What is the best way to utilize both vehicles. We only really need one car for work-home commute and the second car is there as we decided not to sell it. Spouse is currently not working.

Thank you
18 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Suspend coverage on one of the vehicles ($20 or less a month), which will allow you to keep multi-vehicle discount.
When you need to drive the 2nd car, you can reinstage coverage (min of 45days before suspending again), then rinse and repeat as required.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Eenie meanie miney mo
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1735 posts
243 upvotes
BC
my wife doesnt work. but she does go out and do her things.

i have 2 cars.
i have 1 car insured as regular. second car insured as pleasure.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Pursuit2013 wrote: We have two honda vehicles, one with 40k on it (2013 - financing) and the other with over 200k (2005 - paid off). What is the best way to utilize both vehicles. We only really need one car for work-home commute and the second car is there as we decided not to sell it. Spouse is currently not working.

Thank you
What do you mean by "best way to utilize"? That can mean different things for different people.

Personally, I'd probably use the one that's got the best mileage for the bulk of the driving. So if one spouse is driving a bunch to work and back, they would use the most fuel efficient vehicle. But reliability also comes into play (would rather not get stranded on the freeway, as opposed to the car not starting in the parking lot of the local Piggly Wiggly). And then there's the passenger carrying capacity... If the spouse at home needs to be able transport driver and 2 kids in car seats, they should have the vehicle that best fits everything, as opposed to trying to pack everything into a 2 door sports car (as an example).

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
It's ICBC, not much else you can do other than you've done. They don't do multicar discounts.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
raspeed wrote: It's ICBC, not much else you can do other than you've done. They don't do multicar discounts.
They use ICBC in Mississauga?

C
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
I guess it is just dreaming, but one would think in this day of computers it wouldn't be that hard to have something like:

January - car 1
Feb. - car 2
March - car 1
April -car 2
May - car 1

so as to keep both moving and prevent seized brakes etc. But no, that is too hard and we continue paying through the nose for a second car we don't really use :(
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6571 upvotes
Vaughan
First, let us help you on how to utilize the 24 hours in a day, as that is of more pressing matter. Then, we'll worry about the vehicles second.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1181 posts
329 upvotes
ON
Well by utilizing I meant, repairs & maintenance aside, making both cars last longer. So one way would be to use the newer car for work-home commute and the old car for minor driving around the city OR vice versa. I was just wondering how people here would go about this.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Pursuit2013 wrote: Well by utilizing I meant, repairs & maintenance aside, making both cars last longer. So one way would be to use the newer car for work-home commute and the old car for minor driving around the city OR vice versa. I was just wondering how people here would go about this.
Posting the models of the two cars might help. And frankly, as a guy, I'd be more likely take the "least reliable" car for my driving, as I'd rather be broken down on the side of the road rather than my GF. Because I'm more mechanically minded (and it would prevent a call-out to me), and I'm less likely to be tossed in the back of a white panel van to be used as a plaything. :)

Really, there's no right answer (IMHO). In my case, we have two vehicles. A 2014 Highlander and a 2008 Vera Cruz. The newer one is financed, older one is paid for. Similar mileages as yours. Both of us currently walk to work. Often, we're traveling together, and the Highlander gets used for virtually all those trips. The only exception is golf trips, because we have our clubs loaded in the Vera Cruz. If both of us need to travel in separate directions, I often take the Vera Cruz (even though the Highlander is "mine", since I'm making the payments on it) just because my GF's trips are more extensive than mine, and I like her to have a reliable vehicle.

We have had issues in the past, when the Vera Cruz got parked for most of the winter. It's got a couple of slow leaks in the rear tires, and the battery drains over time. So we had a call in to the AMA to deal with it. Since then (and since it's golf season), we've been more diligent about driving it at least once a week.

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
CNeufeld wrote: They use ICBC in Mississauga?

C
Thought oldsnail was OP ... my bad.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: Posting the models of the two cars might help. And frankly, as a guy, I'd be more likely take the "least reliable" car for my driving, as I'd rather be broken down on the side of the road rather than my GF. Because I'm more mechanically minded (and it would prevent a call-out to me), and I'm less likely to be tossed in the back of a white panel van to be used as a plaything. :)

Really, there's no right answer (IMHO). In my case, we have two vehicles. A 2014 Highlander and a 2008 Vera Cruz. The newer one is financed, older one is paid for. Similar mileages as yours. Both of us currently walk to work. Often, we're traveling together, and the Highlander gets used for virtually all those trips. The only exception is golf trips, because we have our clubs loaded in the Vera Cruz. If both of us need to travel in separate directions, I often take the Vera Cruz (even though the Highlander is "mine", since I'm making the payments on it) just because my GF's trips are more extensive than mine, and I like her to have a reliable vehicle.

We have had issues in the past, when the Vera Cruz got parked for most of the winter. It's got a couple of slow leaks in the rear tires, and the battery drains over time. So we had a call in to the AMA to deal with it. Since then (and since it's golf season), we've been more diligent about driving it at least once a week.

C
Same here. I'd take the older car, regardless of the 'condition' as the 'man' and having more confidence with older cars. And since it's older, and declining, might as well get use of out of it. Plus, you won't worry as much if you get knicks, or get into an accident. And if you should decide to sell the newer one, it'll hold more value if less driven (I think).

And not even just breaking down, identifying symptoms or signs of it therefore pre-empting or being prepared for it to take it to service as needed.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1634 posts
665 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote: We have two honda vehicles, one with 40k on it (2013 - financing) and the other with over 200k (2005 - paid off). What is the best way to utilize both vehicles. We only really need one car for work-home commute and the second car is there as we decided not to sell it. Spouse is currently not working.

Thank you
Very similar to my situation. I use 2016 HR-V for commuting (M-F) and uses 2005 Acura EL for weekend (S-S) errand. I don't like the car being parked more than a week without starting.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4250 posts
460 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote: Well by utilizing I meant, repairs & maintenance aside, making both cars last longer. So one way would be to use the newer car for work-home commute and the old car for minor driving around the city OR vice versa. I was just wondering how people here would go about this.
Just find a way to drive both regularly and keep it at that. I'd drive the beater around to places where the car would be more at risk.

ie. If I was driving to Markham or Brampton and parking in a public place (or just driving to/from), then naturally take the beater and if commuting to/from downtown, take the nicer car.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
old car for erands where you don't mind places where you'd get dings or whatever ... like shopping malls/groceries. newer car for work
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
win-star wrote: old car for erands where you don't mind places where you'd get dings or whatever ... like shopping malls/groceries. newer car for work
what if people who ding ops old car works at the same place?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: what if people who ding ops old car works at the same place?
Than OP has to take public transit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)