• Jan 19th, 2013 10:38 am
Tags:
None
Nov 18, 2012
162 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough

UTSC degree requirements

Hi, I'm in my 4th year at UTSC doing a double major. I started off in the BA program without a major taking whatever courses I pleased. Now I'm focused on finishing up my degree. I'm looking at the degree navigator and degree requirements and am not entirely sure what I need to be taking. I'm already enrolled in courses, so I have to get this figured out and get in the courses I need to asap.

All the lines at school are long as heck, so I don't want to be waiting in the wrong line only to be told I have to go wait somewhere else. Can someone please tell me who I should go speak and where I can find them to figure this mess out?

Thanks.
13 replies
Dec 30, 2012
34 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Look at your program requirements in the 2012-2013 calendar. It'll say what courses are required to complete the major.
Then look at degree navigator. You'll need a certain amount of C/D-level courses, a certain amount of courses in each breadth, and a certain amount of total credits to graduate.
Basically graduation = meeting UTSC graduation requirements + meeting requirements for each major
For Hon. BA I believe it's at least 6 full credits (or 12 half credits) in C/D-level courses, and 20 total full credits (or 40 half credits). However, you're exempt from this requirement if you started UTSC prior to Sept 2009 or 2008, you gotta double check on it, or send registrar an email (use Askus, they usually reply within 2-3 days).
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2060 posts
1906 upvotes
Are you trolling us? How can you take upper year courses if you are not in a major?

Personally, you should look at majors that you have fulfill the most... and then take the remaining courses.
Nov 18, 2012
162 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
arclite wrote: You can either:
1) Go to academic advising and ask for a degree audit
2) Ask your program supervisor for a degree/program audit
3) Look up the calendar and do it yourself
4) Use degree navigator (not as accurate)
5) Have me do the degree audit for you

All the above methods are NOT official. You will have to wait for the registrar to do a full check which is about 2 weeks before convocation.
Thanks. I went over the calendar and degree navigator and figured out what I need to take.
xlc_88 wrote: Are you trolling us? How can you take upper year courses if you are not in a major?

Personally, you should look at majors that you have fulfill the most... and then take the remaining courses.
No. I changed my majors a lot in my earlier years, and by the time I was in '3rd year' I had a lot of psychology and philosophy courses so I made that my double major. I took a lot of A- and B- level courses. There are still a number of remaining courses required because in my earlier years I was taking whatever. As a result, I'm going to end up graduating with more than 20 credits. There are still some C-level/300-series courses that I want to take before I graduate.

Thanks for the help, all.
Nov 18, 2012
162 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
Update:

I'd like to inform anyone in UTSC degree requirements that breadth requirements were implemented in 2010; as such, only students entering during 2010 or after are required to fulfill the requirement. I entered school before 2010, so I don't have to fulfill them. Yippie.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5633 upvotes
Maybe not breadth requirements, but distribution requirements are necessary.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Nov 18, 2012
162 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
Toukolou wrote: Maybe not breadth requirements, but distribution requirements are necessary.
What the heck are distribution requirements?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
UTScPhilosophy wrote: What the heck are distribution requirements?
For UTSG, in essence it's the same thing as the current breath requirements... they just renamed it and changed it slightly. UTSC should be the same. So yippie not so much, you aren't getting away with it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5633 upvotes
UTScPhilosophy wrote: What the heck are distribution requirements?
You're in 4th year and you're not aware of distribution/breadth requirement? How have you made it this far?

Check out the last 2 boxes.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Nov 18, 2012
162 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
Toukolou wrote: You're in 4th year and you're not aware of distribution/breadth requirement? How have you made it this far?

Check out the last 2 boxes.
That is for the St. George campus. I didn't see anything about distribution requirements for degree requirements at UTSC.

http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~registrar/ ... grees.html

Or else I'm not looking hard enough...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5633 upvotes
I see your point. Call your registrar and make an appt. to speak to an academic adviser.
Lucky
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2060 posts
1906 upvotes
Breadth = Distribution requirements are the same OP. You answered your own question. Chill! :)
Nov 18, 2012
162 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
xlc_88 wrote: Breadth = Distribution requirements are the same OP. You answered your own question. Chill! :)
Thanks for the response. I'm just worried about my graduation. UTSG degree requirements has breadth AND distribution requirements. I'm going to book a degree review at my school to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)