Students

UTSC vs. UTSG ( esp. life science )

Aug 19, 2005
76 posts
Toronto

UTSC vs. UTSG ( esp. life science )

I've asked similar to questions to several people but i just wanted more information before i change my grade 12 schedule to fit their prereqs.

My dillemma is that i live about 15 mins away from UTSC and 1.5 hours from UTSG. Both schools have life science programs; however, people say that UTSC is a better school for your GPA and UTSG is a killer for undergrad. Now i don't normally slack off in school but if i went to UTSC i could at least have a normal social life and not become a commuter if i went to UTSG.
The problem with UTSC is that it seems like a high school in the middle of an empty field and the people there are too focused in school that they don't have any social life.

My question is: Where should i take my life science course..UTSC or UTSG.

thx for any help
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
UTSC is indeed like a hs setting...seems cold

UTSG is at least downtown and ppl seem more sociable

however for commuting purposes, go to UTSC first, see how you like it there for a year, if its bad, you can always transfer to the downtown campus

my cousin went to UTSC but she went with tons of friends, so if you dont got friends going there with you...make new ones heh
Aug 19, 2005
76 posts
Toronto
Ok not to sound like a video game :|
but.. strategically would it be better to go to UTSC? :confused:
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1071 posts
GTA
I think there is a much greater variety of life sci courses to choose from in st. george than in UTSC. You are only in Life Science in your first year, but after first year you gotta choose your program which includes immunology, pharmocology, toxicology, physiology, biochemistry, pathobiology, microbiology, biology, zoology, botany, psychology and nutritional science and neuroscience. Each program offers different courses and the courses become quite specialized by 3rd and 4th year. Im not sure what courses are offered in UTSC, but definitely not as much as St. George. The research facility is also better at st. george so it definitely helps if you want to volunteer at a lab or something during the school year. But then there's co-op in UTSC which is a big plus.
|
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
3679 posts
4516 upvotes
i live in mississauga and am going into my 4th and final year at u of t st. george and its fine.

big campus, big classes socially its good if you are willing to put the effort in (clubs, meets etc)

i took a class in 2nd year at erindale (mississauga campus) and the campus seemed fine to me as well, some people say its small and what not but truthfully i didnt see much of a difference in class size (my class was around 300 people)

if i could do it over again i may have gone to a suburban campus just because you save a ton of time and a ton of money.. but either option is fine.
May 14, 2005
315 posts
2 upvotes
The grading standard for courses at UTSG is for the most part higher that than that for courses at UTSC. I have TAed courses in the humanities at all three campuses, and I had to bell the grades by about 5% for UTM students and by about 10% for UTSC students. UTSG is the most highly regarded campus by academics, so the top professors in the field tend to be located there rather than at the other campuses. There are, of course, exceptions. So if you want higher grades, pick UTSC, but if you want a better learning experience, I would pick UTSG.

BTW, when I was in undergrad at UTSG, I remember that students in the life sciences complained about the low marks they were getting. They alleged that the faculty was trying to weed out the students, because there were too many students taking life sciences in preparation for med school, and other professional careers. I don't know whether the same is true of the other campuses.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Its a no brainer... go to UTSC.

THink what you can do with all that extra time you save, everyday.
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3930 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
I would hate to spend 3hrs on the bus every day.
Jan 26, 2005
383 posts
Hi

This is a very difficult dilemma and I also had to go through it when I was in High School. I go to UTSC and I'll try to be as objective as I can.

I commute to UTSC (30 min avg) and I'm glad that its a shorter commute than dt (1 - 1.5 hr). For the sake of your GPA, ppl claim that UTSC is an easier school. I will tell you that is not necessarily true. I took courses at SG and literally got 90s and at UTSC I have had no such luck in some courses. My friend was at SG in first year and came over to UTSC in second year and she says she does not find it any easier, in fact, more difficult. Does this mean that UTSC is easier or harder? I believe it is unfair to generalize like that; rather I would say that the profs at UTSC are more accessible for office hours rather than dt. If you even just look at the students per class to one prof ratio, that is obviously evident. If you work hard, put in the effort, then I'm sure you'll succeed at both campuses. However, because of the smaller class sizes, I would say that if you ever had problems with the course, it would be easier to reach the prof rather than dt, but I could be wrong. I don't know how the profs and their office hours are like dt.

UTSC is also typically known as the high school university. Simply speaking, that is only because it's a smaller campus compared to a giant like SG. SG has been around for like 150 years and UTSC has been around for like 60 years. Unless you're actively antisocial, you'll meet friends and it might feel like high school all over again. My SG friends say that they don't know that many people and they probably would if they put in more effort. So what I guess I'm trying to say is that it'd probably be less effort to make friends at UTSC because of the smaller size.

I'm going into 4th year in Life Sci and I've already worked in 2 different labs and TA in chem. Once again, because of the smaller size profs recognize ur face more and it's easier to build contacts and network.

What SG definitely has is more program options. Half the people that come into life sci want to be med dr but they'll eventually realize that it's not for them. The number of programs at UTSC are limited in comparison to SG and that's a fact. So if you're not sure what you want to do, then maybe having the option of a variety of programs downtown might peak ur interest.

There's more clubs at SG but if u commute, then it might be hard to have time for sleep, eat, study and have fun. Since you're so damn close to UTSC I would definitely think that you're social life would be more accessible, as long as you put in the effort and take advantage of the events on campus.

In the end, convenience would play a big role for me so I'd definitely go to UTSC. University is what you make out of it, and the more effort you put into it, the more fun and success you'll have.
Aug 19, 2005
76 posts
Toronto
Mach wrote:UTSC is also typically known as the high school university.
Great advices!

I'm sure that i can spend the extra hours in clubs rather than on the TTC :-0

I'm just not sure about the high school setting that everyone was talking about. > :(
Apr 8, 2004
478 posts
5 upvotes
Here are some reasons why UTSC is better than UTSC

1. Rooms are very easy to find. Exams are written on campus and not 15 minutes away from the class. (UTSG. class in Syd SMith and Exam in Vic College)

2. Closer knit of fellow classmates

3. Easier interaction with professors

4. Very few "crap" professors since a small campus helps committees remove the crappier ones

5. A lighter course load.

6. Marks go up on Rosi way faster than St. George

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)