• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2017 7:00 am
[OP]
Dec 21, 2009
78 posts
5 upvotes
Cambridge

UV light water treatment system

Closing on a cottage in the south Bruce peninsula. Which water treatment system is best for well water?
Water was tested by the township and deemed okay for use.
Water has strong smell of iron and sulphur.
Was looking at UV light water system.
We have young babies and not looking at drinking the water. Just want to make sure it's safe for everyday use ie. baths
Anyone have an idea on cost? Was hearing all sorts of numbers even up to 2k.
Thank you for any insight.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25896 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Ultra Violet is great at killing the bio matter. But if you have cloudy water, it's useless
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1974 upvotes
Brampton
In increasing order of severity

UV + whole house filter + carbon that'll get you pretty close to the water you're used to in the GTA.

If the water is super hard and has really high levels of iron you'll need to step up and add a soften and an iron removal system.

If you want to go to this extent you can also add an undersink or whole home RO unit.

Just the options that some buds of mine have gone thru for their cottages and homes on lake and well water.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10443 posts
1907 upvotes
Kingston
We have (in order from the well): water softener, whole house filter, UV filter.

We removed the sediment filter from the UV system since we have the whole house filter.

We had sulphur smell in our hot water. I changed the anode to an aluminum/zinc one, plus increased the temperature and that solved the problem.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1974 upvotes
Brampton
JWL wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 6:47 pm
We have (in order from the well): water softener, whole house filter, UV filter.

We removed the sediment filter from the UV system since we have the whole house filter.

We had sulphur smell in our hot water. I changed the anode to an aluminum/zinc one, plus increased the temperature and that solved the problem.
Just a quick question? Why the Softener first before the whole house?

Usually I see how house first then softener. As explained to me the whole house filter is the first line of defense from high levels of rust(the larger particles, not the TDS) and debris so the rest of the system can be more efficient as well as helps to preserve the life of the resin.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10443 posts
1907 upvotes
Kingston
tebore wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 8:46 am
Just a quick question? Why the Softener first before the whole house?

Usually I see how house first then softener. As explained to me the whole house filter is the first line of defense from high levels of rust(the larger particles, not the TDS) and debris so the rest of the system can be more efficient as well as helps to preserve the life of the resin.
The whole house filter instructions said to put the water softener first for a well water supply. MANUAL (see page 6)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1974 upvotes
Brampton
JWL wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:08 pm
The whole house filter instructions said to put the water softener first for a well water supply. MANUAL (see page 6)
Ah it's one of these units.
Everytime I see whole house water filter I imagine a "big blue" type unit what they reference as a sediment unit in the diagram.

How effective is this Whole house filtration unit?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1075 posts
179 upvotes
Waterloo
JWL wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:08 pm
You need a minimum 10 micron sediment or 10 micron whole home activated carbon filter if you are using a UV system after it. That whirlpool whf is rated for 30-40 micron which will not be enough for a UV system. This unit would however be good for removing some H2S (up to 1ppm).
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10443 posts
1907 upvotes
Kingston
Blitzo wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 4:51 pm
You need a minimum 10 micron sediment or 10 micron whole home activated carbon filter if you are using a UV system after it. That whirlpool whf is rated for 30-40 micron which will not be enough for a UV system. This unit would however be good for removing some H2S (up to 1ppm).
Thanks. I was not aware of this and will put the cartridge back in! The package includes a sediment filter and it had been installed but I removed the cartridge since I had the whole home filter and thought it might help with water pressure to remove it. I couldn't see that it was catching anything but I suppose it would be tough to see those 20 micron particles with the human eye!

I actually checked the manual for my UV system and it actually requires a 5 micron pre-filter.