• Feb 25th, 2018 10:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1223 posts
1102 upvotes

UVIP wholesale = $0

Got the UVIP and for both wholesale and retail shows $0. Did I just luck out? I can set any purchase price? Are the DMV allowed to look up the value on autotrader?
31 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe the vehicle is really worth $0.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
May 9, 2010
433 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
Some vehicles are like that. Once sold a 2 year old Tacoma pickup and there was no value for either....
Otherwise once it's more than x years old (I believe 8 or 10) the value doesn't show up on the uvip package.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
My winter beater was listed as $0 when purchased. Guess how much HST I paid :)

Basically mto has no value listed for the vehicle. It's a bonus for the next buyer.
Jan 8, 2012
70 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
This is typical for less common older vehicles. There is not enough information of resale transactions for these vehicles in the MTO's databases to assign a value.
Feb 4, 2015
215 posts
106 upvotes
York, ON
You'll need to get an appraisal done.

I've got a thing for old cars and been here three times before. Always gotten the seller to pay for it. It's basically a one-pager that costs around $50 depending where you go.
If you ask nicely the appraiser will usually lowball it.

The MTO will use the higher of your purchase price (nudge nudge) or the appraisal value for HST purposes. Last time I did this the MTO didn't ask to see the appraisal, but you should have it just in case.
May 9, 2010
433 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
RaySkunk wrote: You'll need to get an appraisal done.

I've got a thing for old cars and been here three times before. Always gotten the seller to pay for it. It's basically a one-pager that costs around $50 depending where you go.
If you ask nicely the appraiser will usually lowball it.

The MTO will use the higher of your purchase price (nudge nudge) or the appraisal value for HST purposes. Last time I did this the MTO didn't ask to see the appraisal, but you should have it just in case.
This may be the case for old collectibles but if it's just an old beater, or in the case of my Tacoma, the buyer paid tax on the amount stated on the last page of the uvip (which serves as the purchase agreement). We didn't have to get any kind of appraiser to decide on the value.
May 29, 2007
450 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
When I recently purchase a 2010 the wholesale value wasn't listed on the UVIP so I came up with a number that seemed reasonable because I wasn't sure what to expect. Say the vehicle was worth 20k I put that I paid 12k and paid tax on that amount. I was tempted to put lower but thought it would be too obvious.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1223 posts
1102 upvotes
CraigLee wrote: When I recently purchase a 2010 the wholesale value wasn't listed on the UVIP so I came up with a number that seemed reasonable because I wasn't sure what to expect. Say the vehicle was worth 20k I put that I paid 12k and paid tax on that amount. I was tempted to put lower but thought it would be too obvious.
Bingo. These vultures don't deserve even a penny on a private sale transaction on a used item.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2013
1036 posts
573 upvotes
Angus, ON
I am about to buy a 2011 VW Jetta tomorrow with 79K and the UVIP has $0 wholesale and retail. I am getting a good deal but would love to save some $$$. What does anyone think if I put $2000-$4000? Also online on Service Ontario it states that Sat Oct 1 that UVIP will be down from 7am-12pm. I am meeting the seller at 10am. Any opinions at all would help.

TIA
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1261 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You can put anything you want, within reason. If they ask tell them you bought the car as is with a busted engine or tranny, that's why the price is so low.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2013
1036 posts
573 upvotes
Angus, ON
That is what I figured. Thanks. I figure about $3000-$4000.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
gmoney506 wrote: That is what I figured. Thanks. I figure about $3000-$4000.
Report back with your experience :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
I put a dollar on mine and paid 13cents HST. Had a big debate with the manager at service Ontario but effectively they were not able to point out to me any text in the guidelines that defines reasonable value.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2013
1036 posts
573 upvotes
Angus, ON
Purchased today and decide to put $3000. I went to the counter and not even a question asked. Had the UVIP with $0 value. Sweet.
Mar 24, 2015
58 posts
15 upvotes
Guelph, ON
gmoney506 wrote: Purchased today and decide to put $3000. I went to the counter and not even a question asked. Had the UVIP with $0 value. Sweet.
So did you pay tax on the $3,000 amount or the $0? I got away with paying $0 once. It took some convincing before they finally believed that I got the vehicle in exchange for a few favours. Enjoy your new Jetta btw!
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2013
1036 posts
573 upvotes
Angus, ON
I paid on the $3000. So $390. I did not mind. Better than over $1000.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Wondering if a UVIP can really have the wholesale price missing and if so, will the HST be based on the actual purchase price?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/buy-or-sell ... le-ontario

How much: In most cases, buyers pay 13% RST in Ontario. The amount is based on the purchase price or the vehicle’s wholesale value, whichever is greater.

Wholesale value is based on the Canadian Red Book which has the wholesale and retail values of used vehicles. It is an industry standard used by car dealers, insurance companies and other provincial governments.
The values are based on the average amounts paid for vehicles of the same year, make and model. They don’t take into account:
  • optional equipment
  • vehicle condition
  • mileage
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Hmmm. Interesting. I think the car I'm interested in has a UVIP value of zero too.

Any recommendations one lenient appraisers?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
If Service Ontario says the wholesale value is not there, does that mean the UVIP value is zero?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)