• Dec 17th, 2018 11:21 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2409 posts
185 upvotes

a/v receiver

My 10 year old a/v receiver an Yamaha rx-v663 is showing signs thats its about to go out and I wanted to start shopping for a new one.
I was looking for a budget modern a/v receiver.
What deals are out there these days and what should I be looking for in terms of technology?
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1866 posts
755 upvotes
ontario
the best deals will be on the used market.

you just missed black friday -- next opportunity for new will be black friday

in terms of technology, you will want something 4k ready.
Dec 6, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
Keep an eye out for Boxing Day deals. There are a number of retailers (Best Buy for example) that'll have a couple receivers on for a decent deal... maybe somewhere in the $300-$500 range. If that range doesn't fit where you'd like to be, esoxhntr may be right in that the used market is the way to go.

Most new ones lately will come 4k ready, tons of hdmi inputs, etc. The other features will entirely depend on your setup to determine if they're of any value to you or not (Atmos, Wifi, HDR, multi zone, etc.). Most folks are fine with a 5.1, but you can also do a 7.1 receiver and setup the extra 2 speakers in another room to listen to music, etc. in the kitchen or out on the deck for example.
Dec 6, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
Without knowing any of your needs/requirements - it seems like a decent entry level receiver.
Built in chromecast is pretty neat :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2409 posts
185 upvotes
I only have four devices to connect plus the tv. Sat box and ps4 and ps3 and wii (not used much anymore).

I rarely watch bluray movies anymore, and because of limited internet bandwidth can't stream 4k stuff from youtube or netflix.
Because i already have 9 speakers plus sub i would like to keep a 7.1 receiver.
Atmos seems to be the new surround standard for bluray/4k i want to take advantage of it.

I just dont know how much of an upgrade it is to go from a 7.1 system to a 5.1.2 atmos..
My decision problem is that there's just such a disparity in prices that im not sure it makes sense to spend $300 on a receiver that does 7.1/5.1.2 or $500 or more for one that also does 7.1/5.1.2.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2409 posts
185 upvotes
I dont know if this is important or not but something i am seeing in alot of these receivers that support 7.1/5.1.2 configurations is that the speaker set up doesnt actually allow to have both speaker config.
By that i mean that the surround back can either be used as surround back or for atmos.
Some receivers have extra zone speakers plugs so I am wondering if there are receivers that would allow to have both 7.1 an 5.1.2 set ups?

That way dvd/blurays without atmos could take advantage of 7.1 config without having to mess with the cables and speakers.
Are there any receivers that can do this or am I too concerned about 7.1 because 5.1.2 will simulate that?
May 3, 2016
203 posts
134 upvotes
Would you be able to give some more details of your setup.

9 speakers - what wattages and resistance (Ohms)
All set up in the same room?
1 sub or 2?
Any external amplifiers connected?

4K is the new norm - hard pressed to find one without it now.

Also do you have any Amazon Alexa/Google Home devices?

All this info will help provide recommendations.

Cheers!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2409 posts
185 upvotes
the speakers are 8ohm and they are polk. not sure of the wattage but they are bookshelf speakers. only have one polk sub and have bass shakers for the couch.
thats it.

do the receivers upmix dolby digital/prologic to atmos set up or will it just play 5.1?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4053 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
The best deal on a quality receiver was for Onkyo TX-RZ820 for 699 (went on sale twice around black friday at BestBuy). Will probably pop up again during boxing day, as the newer model is out.
It has every single modern feature support (Atmos, DTS:X, 4K, HDR, etc) and it has pre-outs (which is important to me, since I run stand-alone amps in the theater). I don't like the fact that Onkyo dropped Audyssey equalization software in favour of in-house one, so I didn't buy one hoping for a sale on equivalent Marantz/Denon (didn't happen).
Ebay (462-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2409 posts
185 upvotes
I'm not sure it's worth the money to buy a 7.1/5.1.2 receiver instead of a 5.1/5.1.2 because the 7.1 can only be plugged for one type 7.1 or 5.1.2. the ones that allow that are too expensive imo.

I will wait for box day deals to see what's available but I'm more and more convinced that the pioneer 932 is more than enough for me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

ViperZ