• Aug 21st, 2017 8:37 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 26, 2008
338 posts
60 upvotes

Value Village: Are the prices too high?

First I apologize if this has been talked about already. I did a search and couldn't find a thread.

What are your thoughts on Value Village? Do you shop there? Did you used to?

It's a thrift store but the prices on some items are just strangely expensive. Don't they get their items mostly donated to them?

Books - Books with a cover price over I believe $10.00 are priced at 4.99. Pretty much any hardcover book will have a cover price over $10. So 4.99 a book is very high. 3.99 for a DVD?... Walmart has hundreds of Brand New DVDs for 5.00 in their bargain bins. I am not a parent but I hear horror stories over the prices of baby clothes and toys. Another problem is that many of their items are scracthed or damaged and some of the clothes have an unwashable stink.

I have found some good bargains there, but usually shake my head.
89 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13319 posts
1191 upvotes
Considering the smell, yes absolutely.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3286 posts
419 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
Value Village is a for-profit business. The deluge of hipsters in the urban VVs really jacked up the prices.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1094 posts
170 upvotes
yes, their stuff is absurd now.

Dirty old worn out shoes for $29.99! WTF!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6479 posts
882 upvotes
Try a search here, many discussions.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Aug 30, 2008
836 posts
90 upvotes
ON
I went to the new VV that opened in Markham and omg it's as terrible as ever...prices are typically 2x what Goodwill/Salvation Army's prices are. Shoes are terrible. Basically, the people that price things there will think any recognizable "mall brand" is suddenly a brand name shirt. YES, I TOTALLY WANT TO PAY $10 FOR THAT USED GAP T-SHIRT DRESS! :o A used pair of Payless shoes for $20? How can I lose??! GW/SA do this too sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad. I mean the worst I've seen was a really beat up pair of Lululemon pants for $10 that was completely worn out.

VV do donate. I think how it works is that the Diabetes Association or some charity collects all the clothes for VV; and they get a cut like 10% or something. But the annoying, and deceptive part about VV is that they make it seem like they are a charity that makes good use of all the proceeds and totally take advantage of that.

Yeah sometimes they have discount days and whatnot but on a normal day it's anything but "value" (maybe lack of value or bad value).

Side though though - if you have lots of time for treasure hunting, then you could potentially find something good at VV because obviously, the same person that prices mall brand at ridiculous prices is not going to recognize a real brand. I actually picked up a cute Tokidoki hoodie there once for $7 that was in great condition because it was probably some off-brand to them. :P Anything else though, there are enough other thrift stores in the city with mountains of awesome stuff that you can skip VV.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3286 posts
419 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
VV sucks in general. They're simply not worth buying from when deals for new clothing from retailers are essentially priced the same during sales.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10822 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Shoppersbeermart wrote:
Aug 17th, 2014 10:44 pm
First I apologize if this has been talked about already. I did a search and couldn't find a thread.

What are your thoughts on Value Village? ...
wrong forum. try the shopping discussion forum.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8294 posts
1509 upvotes
London
It`s no different from any other store.... you gotta know what you`re buying. If the staff recognize the brand name, the price will double. Whether it`s still a good deal after that is up to you.
You just can`t assume that because it smells like a hobo`s armpit that the prices will be good.
Jul 23, 2009
589 posts
59 upvotes
Cork, Ireland
I still check out Value Village to see if I can score on some old Pentium-era (90s-2000s) desktops. Definitely worth it for just $10-15.
Aug 4, 2014
491 posts
52 upvotes
North of GTA
Some of the prices in Value Village are priced too high. I have heard complaints from people who are regular shoppers there. Why are crappy t - shirts 2.99? If it has a Nike swoosh, the price will be doubled on anything.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13319 posts
1191 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 2:25 am
You just can`t assume that because it smells like a hobo`s armpit that the prices will be good.
See, I would think that would be an excellent indicator of low, low prices.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8699 posts
1466 upvotes
Somewhere
Its a travesty that for-profit businesses are out to profit.
:confused:
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13319 posts
1191 upvotes
^ It's more that the model of this for-profit business misleads people into thinking that they are a charity.

It would be one thing if they bought people's used clothes and resold them at a profit.. but they are trying to profit off people's kindness, which pisses people off. It's like taking your good gesture and perverting it.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7861 posts
748 upvotes
As someone who used to work there, I'll say that management has a set pricing scale on some items such as books/DVDs regardless of anything else. The rest is subjective and I would often lower the price of items I was in control of (namely the furniture and "non-fancy" electronics section) just to get them out of the store; it's amazing how many people treat VV and thrift stores as dumping grounds so on average, I wanted donated stuff in and out of the store within 48h (usually after that time frame, we'd start literally throwing stuff out because of the overload of junk).

VV has those 50% off days which makes their prices a bit more bearable but I mean, it's not a guaranteed bargain no.