None
Banned
Jul 3, 2013
1508 posts
294 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 11:22 am
Why would you think that ?
I always assumed that they primarily sell donated clothing and the like. I thought their business model was geared towards servicing the poor and needy in our society that unfortunately cannot afford to purchase brand new items.

Am I mistaken?
May 28, 2012
9334 posts
1734 upvotes
Saskatoon
Fakeman wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 11:08 am
I've found that Value Village is the worst of the major thrift store chains for pricing. When I first started going there in the mid to late 90s this wasn't the case. Salvation Army is the only chain where I'll bother looking at the clothes any more. Goodwill uses a colour coding system that isn't explained anywhere. At the end of the aisle there will be a sign saying "$5.99 and up" and it's the colours of the tags that determine the "and up", but apparently they prefer to keep you in the dark about the actual price until you get to the checkout.
I wonder if the colour coding pertains to what day it was processed? So the older ones in the cycle are cheaper?

I'm on the call list for donations for a couple of these charities and it's getting flipping annoying how many times they call. I've told them on occasion to take me off the list, but they are still calling. For some bizarre reason, I've been more tolerant of them than regular telemarketers.

Prices were never really good there...it was only the really esoteric brand names that you got good deals. As soon as there was a 'Gap' or 'Lululemon' logo on it, think 50% off new or sale price at the actual store.
Oct 29, 2009
342 posts
59 upvotes
I go to check out old brand name shirts and blazers, they have some interesting pieces sometimes. I've seen some authentic givenchy, YSL's, Ralph Lauren purple labels before. P.S please let me know if you see any old IBM keyboards!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7851 posts
743 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 11:21 am
I`m surprised you guys would even take couches or any upholstered furniture... Technically they would have to be retagged WRT to the upholstered and stuffed articles act. Come to think of this, stuffed animals, and bedding with filling materials (like comforters) would be fall under that legislation. Did the mattress police (aka TSSA inspectors) ever visit your location ?
As far as I know no. I was just given a list of things I don't accept and mattresses/couches were featured on that list along with large electronics/appliances and health products and whatnot.
FutureCEO wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 11:27 am
I always assumed that they primarily sell donated clothing and the like. I thought their business model was geared towards servicing the poor and needy in our society that unfortunately cannot afford to purchase brand new items.

Am I mistaken?
Based on my observations, you're not wrong no, but I've seen people who seem pretty well off buy things off VV; I guess the same type of crowds who buy things off kijiji.
Jul 16, 2014
95 posts
3 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
I wonder if the colour coding pertains to what day it was processed? So the older ones in the cycle are cheaper?
I believe it's just a dollar value scale but I could be mistaken. There are only so many colours to cycle through so using it to represent shelf time would present some issues I think. The "tags" they use are the plastic things normally used to attach a paper tag to clothing, in a few different colours.

I just don't like that they don't explain the system on their signs. IMO customers should be able to tell the price of an item without the help of staff.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7851 posts
743 upvotes
Fakeman wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 11:46 am
I believe it's just a dollar value scale but I could be mistaken. There are only so many colours to cycle through so using it to represent shelf time would present some issues I think. The "tags" they use are the plastic things normally used to attach a paper tag to clothing, in a few different colours.

I just don't like that they don't explain the system on their signs. IMO customers should be able to tell the price of an item without the help of staff.
VV uses colored pricing tags to denote the date they were processed (well week). They operated I think on a 6 color rotation and then the cycle began anew. Any items left from the previous cycle were gathered and shipped to Africa or some other place I can't recall.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8289 posts
1508 upvotes
London
FutureCEO wrote:

Am I mistaken?
I'm sure this was the original intention of thift shops 75 years ago, but these days, they are just another store. In fact, the poor and needy could probably do better at Goodwill/Sally Ann/garage sales/Kijiji/CL/freecycle/fullcircle rather than VV.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9194 posts
1088 upvotes
Toronto
For profit. Greater Demand = Higher price.
Jun 9, 2007
573 posts
37 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Soulboy wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 11:36 am
I go to check out old brand name shirts and blazers, they have some interesting pieces sometimes. I've seen some authentic givenchy, YSL's, Ralph Lauren purple labels before. P.S please let me know if you see any old IBM keyboards!
I'm on the hunt for a Model M also :) .
Jul 16, 2014
95 posts
3 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 12:03 pm
VV uses colored pricing tags to denote the date they were processed (well week). They operated I think on a 6 color rotation and then the cycle began anew. Any items left from the previous cycle were gathered and shipped to Africa or some other place I can't recall.
Maybe that is the case at Goodwill then too and that's the basis for their pricing, but either way it's annoying how they have no indication of the exact prices for clothing items. If a customer thinks an item is worth $5.99 but not $7.99, they shouldn't have to hold up the line (and possibly embarrass themselves for looking cheap) by making that call at checkout time.
May 28, 2012
9334 posts
1734 upvotes
Saskatoon
Theory wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 12:49 pm
I have one in my attic, along with the original IBM computer from 1989. My children all insisted on buying mechanical keyboards for their computers but I personal don't like that click, click, clack. :lol:
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3286 posts
418 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
Theory wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 12:49 pm
Authentic YSL? YSL clothing isn't hard to counterfeit lol. Especially those shirts with the giant YSL logo on it.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5676 posts
1057 upvotes
aGincourt
Everything at VV should be priced 50-75% lower than their current tag price
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13825 posts
1406 upvotes
Toronto
Blame Macklemore
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)