• Aug 23rd, 2017 11:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1958 posts
1024 upvotes
Once upon a time...

Thrift shops were filled with usable items that the "better off" handed off cause they no longer needed them (a form of pay it forward / pass it on). There was no "benefit" (money) to the gifter, just the feeling that they had done ok in life, and was sharing their over abundance "of stuff"

Now it seems EVERYONE wants in on the action.

Something for nothing (out of the goodness of one's heart) has become a money making venture.

The gifter is more likely to hold a garage sale, or haul their stuff to a Consignment Shop ... Hoping to make some extra cash on their unwanted items

The truly needy, cannot get decent used stuff without paying for it (real junk is all they can afford).

Those who volunteer in the community who set up homes for victims of domestic violence (moving on from Women's Shelters) or establishing roots for Refugees, say that finding quality stuff is harder & harder, as the HIPSTERS who aren't needy at all ... Have taken over the used marketplace with the terminology "vintage" for just about everything that is more than 10 years old (ie Vintage 1990s ???? LOL)

We still donate... But are now more apt to opt for Habitat for Humanity cause of the good TRUE NOT FOR PROFIT Work they perform in the community.

We also are not beyond shopping there, if we happen to see a deal on something we need (they get BOTH used and new items... Especially end of line / overrun items) knowing that every bit we do for / with Habitat goes to a good cause.

Won't ever go into a Value Village... Sorry, but they have gotten LOST in what it truly should mean to "lend a helping hand"... They are way too focused on THEIR BOTTOM LINE vs helping others.
Jul 30, 2010
981 posts
109 upvotes
My mom used to work there for years, and VV has nothing to do with being a charity. The only "charitable" thing they do is when they have clothes that are too shitty to sell in store, they bulk them up and sell them by the kilo to Salvation Army or another charity who then sends them to Africa.

Value Village is a pure business, and nobody should ever donate anything to them. Their prices are also insanely high for what you are getting, and they do not wash anything before they put it on the rack. Sale days at any retailer is a much better value than at Value Village, and more often than not, cheaper.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15875 posts
4532 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
they just built a VV across the street from me (demolished an old target to build it). This is in burlington.

I have no idea why they think value village will be popular in an area with that kind of socioeconomic demographic.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11074 posts
1529 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The cost to send stuff to the landfill is going up. Since there are restrictions nowadays on personal garbage disposal, a lot of ppl just send stuff to charity that otherwise would go the landfill. VV receiving an increasing amount of stuff going straight to the landfill = increasing prices, right? I know a lot of clothing gets sent to Africa, but not the furniture, etc.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Aug 21, 2011
788 posts
181 upvotes
I don't think it's such a problem here but in the US you've got a lot of people sifting through thrift stores to resell on amazon
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3975 posts
1140 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:44 pm
they just built a VV across the street from me (demolished an old target to build it). This is in burlington.

I have no idea why they think value village will be popular in an area with that kind of socioeconomic demographic.
Turns out you live in the slummy part of Burlington.

Just like their is a Salvation Amy (formerly Goodwill) in Leaside. That's not the Leaside that you know. Nor is it the one that Stephen Harper grew up in or the one Kathleen Wynne lives in.

Most people just have the sense to call it Thorncliffe park though.

Got to give the slummy part of Burlington a new name. (Or maybe it already has a name.)
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15875 posts
4532 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
^i thought I lived in the good part of Burlington but maybe I’ve just been kidding myself this whole time.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1958 posts
1024 upvotes
renoldman wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 4:12 pm

Turns out you live in the slummy part of Burlington.

Just like their is a Salvation Amy (formerly Goodwill) in Leaside. That's not the Leaside that you know. Nor is it the one that Stephen Harper grew up in or the one Kathleen Wynne lives in.

Most people just have the sense to call it Thorncliffe park though.

Got to give the slummy part of Burlington a new name. (Or maybe it already has a name.)
Disagree
(read on)
nasa25 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 4:13 pm
^i thought I lived in the good part of Burlington but maybe I’ve just been kidding myself this whole time.
Not really familiar with the various parts of Burlington...

But chances are high that you do live in a good part after all.

Value Village's latest expansion plan has been to open in the more "trendy" burbs (supposedly to score better stuff for resale = make more profit)

In the Ottawa area, Value Village can be found in Orleans, Barrhaven and Kanata-Stittsville... Far from "slummy"
May 14, 2013
323 posts
234 upvotes
Edmonton
I still remember going there and shopping for some undies back in the day. There were some that were sold separately and some that were bundles... Low and behold one of the bundles included a pair of white undies with clearly visible "stains"... Being the bargain hunter I am, I showed the clerk and asked if I could get it for cheaper... The clerk gave me a funny smirk and went and asked her boss to see... The boss just laughed and said, "you can take it for free"... And so I walked out of that store with a pack of 5 undies for FREE. I threw out the nasty one obviously, but the rest were good... I mean... free undies! Can't complain.

The prices at this place are so subjective, but one thing is for sure... You can definitely bargain with them if you are up to the task.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1958 posts
1024 upvotes
BambooMonster wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 5:34 pm
I still remember going there and shopping for some undies back in the day. There were some that were sold separately and some that were bundles... Low and behold one of the bundles included a pair of white undies with clearly visible "stains"... Being the bargain hunter I am, I showed the clerk and asked if I could get it for cheaper... The clerk gave me a funny smirk and went and asked her boss to see... The boss just laughed and said, "you can take it for free"... And so I walked out of that store with a pack of 5 undies for FREE. I threw out the nasty one obviously, but the rest were good... I mean... free undies! Can't complain.

The prices at this place are so subjective, but one thing is for sure... You can definitely bargain with them if you are up to the task.
NO WORDS. Truly speechless

Your post says so much more than you ever imagined.

Clearly a good reason WHY I will not set foot in the place
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2576 posts
381 upvotes
Ajax
BambooMonster wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 5:34 pm

Wow
Mar 11, 2017
121 posts
41 upvotes
the one in the falls is becoming too much to even walk in the door for the prices they charge.... i don't usually buy much for clothes there for the simple reason of "other peoples travels" in them... along with mystery stains and smells. i usually just look for the odd rare dvd/video game that may have landed in the pile and the odd electronics... but for the last year and a bit prices started to climb. dvd's have gone from 1.99 - 2.99 to upwards of 7.99 and video games is a whole other story with whomever prices them thinks because it's a PSone/PS2/OG xbox no matter the title it's worth $8-$10 (i'm even talking the ea sports titles and the kids titles). but their electronics seems to be about fair for what it is.. i for sh!ts and giggles asked one of the employees at the check out why the spike in pricing lately and the reply i got was the same one i also got at the salvation army, that they are increasing prices to offset the upcoming minimum wage increase. that may be true, but a really dumb idea as it's only going to alienate their shoppers to just hit new retail rather than used retail and eventually drive them out of business. plus, that's a bit early to make an adjustment on prices as the new inimum wage isn't supposed to come into affect until 2019. but the end result is basically if you don't like the price you don't have to pay it as you have kijiji, craigslist and other pawn shops to search out and of course HERE !
Mar 11, 2017
121 posts
41 upvotes
bamboo monster, that's definitely not true of the VV here... i've seen even elderly people try and haggle over everything from a coffee mug to a power tool and before they are finished their schpeel the manager cuts them off with a "i'm sorry, i'm unable to adjust the price" especially when they look at the date on the price sticker and see it's been on the shelf for well over a month. plus, the location here also has a sign posted stating that each item donated is inspected for quality before being put on the rack/shelf, so how a "dirty stained" pair of undies made it on the floor shouldn't have happened.... even though i know the sorters/inspectors really don't do their job and mostly stand around chatting.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8357 posts
1565 upvotes
London
Becks wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:35 pm
Since there are restrictions nowadays on personal garbage disposal, a lot of ppl just send stuff to charity that otherwise would go the landfill. VV receiving an increasing amount of stuff going straight to the landfill = increasing prices, right?
In this case, it's better to give than receive, and I can't think of a better company to give my useless crap to.