Shopping Discussion

Value Village: Are the prices too high?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2017 11:51 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 24, 2017
24 posts
12 upvotes
Prices are lower at regular stores during end of season clearance sales.
brown
ugly
curry
Newbie
User avatar
Jul 22, 2017
82 posts
37 upvotes
Used to be a good place to go for cheap seasonal costumes and decoration 10 years ago. But now it's too expensive.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress + Metal filter | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter
Member
May 14, 2013
323 posts
233 upvotes
Edmonton
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:44 pm
NO WORDS. Truly speechless

Your post says so much more than you ever imagined.

Clearly a good reason WHY I will not set foot in the place
I mean this was a good 15 years ago... So I'm sure it has changed much since then...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
8314 posts
1531 upvotes
London
BambooMonster wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 10:23 am
I mean this was a good 15 years ago... So I'm sure it has changed much since then...
Do you mean VV or your gitch?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
10912 posts
1485 upvotes
City of Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:28 am
Once upon a time...

Thrift shops were filled with usable items that the "better off" handed off cause they no longer needed them (a form of pay it forward / pass it on). There was no "benefit" (money) to the gifter, just the feeling that they had done ok in life, and was sharing their over abundance "of stuff"

Now it seems EVERYONE wants in on the action.

Something for nothing (out of the goodness of one's heart) has become a money making venture....
It's about pickers, ebay/kijiji/Craigslist, "Storage Wars", making money without paying income tax... And, the world of modern day hunter-gatherer resellers is not limited to used items.
Member
May 14, 2013
323 posts
233 upvotes
Edmonton
Ottomaddox wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 11:38 am
Do you mean VV or your gitch?
VV... My gitch is fine and dandy, thank you very much... As I said before... I threw out the nasty one right away anyways... The one's that I did keep I bleached them over twice for good measure. They were perfectly fine... REALLY.
Newbie
Dec 10, 2013
24 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Went to buy an outfit for my daughter for the upcoming Mud Hero. Used George brand shorts were $6.95. I don't spend that much when they are new from Walmart. I won't be back
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
10912 posts
1485 upvotes
City of Vancouver
BambooMonster wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 2:02 pm
VV... My gitch is fine and dandy, thank you very much... As I said before... I threw out the nasty one right away anyways... The one's that I did keep I bleached them over twice for good measure. They were perfectly fine... REALLY.
I think u need an intervention. Unless u r homesteading in Edmonton, there's no reason why u can't fork out money on brand new underwear, unless u r the type who has no qualms using the services of street prostitutes.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3044 posts
284 upvotes
Wat
savercanuck91 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 3:19 am
I still check out Value Village to see if I can score on some old Pentium-era (90s-2000s) desktops. Definitely worth it for just $10-15.

Why would you say that? Those are worthless.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1409 posts
445 upvotes
Ontario
VV might not fool everyone on this thread, but the general population still thinks that because it uses words like "donate" or gives a (tiny) percentage to a charity that they are doing good by bringing their stuff there. The appropriation of the charity aspect, however small, is fooling most people. A local service club collects thousands of items for an annual one day yard sale, and then calls VV to pick up a moving truck full of good stuff that didn't sell that day. I've tried to explain the stuff would be better donated elsewhere to no avail.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3853 posts
962 upvotes
eager beaver wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 3:57 pm
VV might not fool everyone on this thread, but the general population still thinks that because it uses words like "donate" or gives a (tiny) percentage to a charity that they are doing good by bringing their stuff there. The appropriation of the charity aspect, however small, is fooling most people. A local service club collects thousands of items for an annual one day yard sale, and then calls VV to pick up a moving truck full of good stuff that didn't sell that day. I've tried to explain the stuff would be better donated elsewhere to no avail.
If I had money, I would rend up ad space next to Value Village stuff that would display VALUE VILLAGE IS A FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION, DON'T PATRONIZE THEM
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
8314 posts
1531 upvotes
London
eager beaver wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 3:57 pm
VV might not fool everyone on this thread, but the general population still thinks that because it uses words like "donate" or gives a (tiny) percentage to a charity that they are doing good by bringing their stuff there. The appropriation of the charity aspect, however small, is fooling most people. A local service club collects thousands of items for an annual one day yard sale, and then calls VV to pick up a moving truck full of good stuff that didn't sell that day. I've tried to explain the stuff would be better donated elsewhere to no avail.
Meh, if it didn't sell at their sale, what sort of luck do you think VV is going to have? VV basically is giving them free garbage collection.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2004
4408 posts
2055 upvotes
Vancouver
eager beaver wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 3:57 pm
VV might not fool everyone on this thread, but the general population still thinks that because it uses words like "donate" or gives a (tiny) percentage to a charity that they are doing good by bringing their stuff there. The appropriation of the charity aspect, however small, is fooling most people. A local service club collects thousands of items for an annual one day yard sale, and then calls VV to pick up a moving truck full of good stuff that didn't sell that day. I've tried to explain the stuff would be better donated elsewhere to no avail.
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 4:08 pm
If I had money, I would rend up ad space next to Value Village stuff that would display VALUE VILLAGE IS A FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION, DON'T PATRONIZE THEM
I recently donated a ton of stuff (much of it good stuff, but with values of less than $20 an item). Like 10 garbage bags full of clothing and maybe 10 huge boxes of stuff. Before I donated, I did my research and everyone said the same things you guys said - Value Village is for-profit and so on and so forth. However, what no one gave was an alternative place to donate. Where else can I pull up in my car and drop off EVERYTHING in one place and have people help me unload it from my car and drive off 60 seconds later? I tried a few other donation places but they wouldn't accept certain things. Also, some folks suggested those "clothing drop boxes" but I've seen so many of those things get broken into, or people throw garbage in them and ruin the clothing etc. Point is... Value Village is for profit but they provide a damn good donation service - drive up and ditch your stuff. Easy. So I am willing to forgo a bit of the donation for that convenience.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
8314 posts
1531 upvotes
London
adamtheman wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 5:15 pm
I recently donated a ton of stuff (much of it good stuff, but with values of less than $20 an item). Like 10 garbage bags full of clothing and maybe 10 huge boxes of stuff. Before I donated, I did my research and everyone said the same things you guys said - Value Village is for-profit and so on and so forth. However, what no one gave was an alternative place to donate. Where else can I pull up in my car and drop off EVERYTHING in one place and have people help me unload it from my car and drive off 60 seconds later? I tried a few other donation places but they wouldn't accept certain things. Also, some folks suggested those "clothing drop boxes" but I've seen so many of those things get broken into, or people throw garbage in them and ruin the clothing etc. Point is... Value Village is for profit but they provide a damn good donation service - drive up and ditch your stuff. Easy. So I am willing to forgo a bit of the donation for that convenience.
Let the Diabetes Clothesline program pick that crap up next time. It eventually goes to VV, but they get a a few bucks for delivering it to them.

Top