• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2017 10:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11343 posts
1376 upvotes

Is valve adjustment a scam???

Is valve adjustment a scam??? What happens if you do not do it and its too tight or loose? I heard you can get valves burned up?

Is it??? Most honda needs it as well as BMW S50/S52 engines........
40 replies
Jul 7, 2005
453 posts
82 upvotes
If its too tight yes it can burn out the valve, however I have found that when checking within the recommended inspection date they're either a tad out of spec or just barely within spec.

If you ride/drive HARD and I mean frequent track days, I would recommend doing them....but daily driving meh, the tappy valves might annoy your more than do any sort of damage. Do them yourself if you at least know what TDC/Cam lobes are. Its just labour, instructions (service manual), tq wrench and feeler gauges...I would say chances of salvaging the valve cover gasket is high on the first interval.

I just did them on my motorcycle, shim under bucket...that was a pain, but fun to do as I've never done them before. 5/6 exhausts were slightly tight out-spec 4/6 intakes were loose in-spec, did I notice a difference before/after the job....butt dyno says no but my milage did improve slightly, I wouldn't say its a complete waste of $$$
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28448 posts
4422 upvotes
Ottawa
qaz393 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:14 am
Is valve adjustment a scam??? What happens if you do not do it and its too tight or loose? I heard you can get valves burned up?

No, it is not a scam. Almost all engines could need valve adjustments at one time or another.
https://www.cars.com/articles/does-my-e ... 682596763/
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4755 posts
3309 upvotes
GTA
qaz393 wrote:

Not a scam. The adjustment is needed because of wear to the metal surfaces. Often they just add shims to tighten it up.

Cars with hydraulic lifters do not need regular valve adjustments. They might need service if they failed for some other reason, but not regular service like non-hydraulic lifters.
Last edited by engineered on May 18th, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28448 posts
4422 upvotes
Ottawa
qaz393 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:46 pm
All including ones with hydraulics lifters???
Not really but, the pre load could go off and/or the lifter could clog/fail and then something needs to be done.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_tappet
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Feb 6, 2011
988 posts
545 upvotes
qaz393 wrote:

Its a scam if it has hydraulic lifters.
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
190 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
It's a conspiracy, engine manufacturers and feeler gauge makers.
Feb 6, 2011
988 posts
545 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:26 pm
No, it is not. It is not a normal procedure but, it may need to be done.
https://www.motorstate.com/PumpItUp.htm
Hydraulics only need adjustment during some repair, parts replacement, engine overhaul. If it needs to be done to cover up a noise, then something is worn out. Adjustment is just a band-aid.
Some hydraulics with a rocker shaft cannot even be adjusted without shimming, which is not needed if the engine is built right the first time.
Its a scam if someone is trying to sell it as a maintenance job.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11343 posts
1376 upvotes
billford wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:28 pm
Hydraulics only need adjustment during some repair, parts replacement, engine overhaul. If it needs to be done to cover up a noise, then something is worn out. Adjustment is just a band-aid.
Some hydraulics with a rocker shaft cannot even be adjusted without shimming, which is not needed if the engine is built right the first time.
U mean it's a scam for solid right??? Thanks for the pro tip Smiling Face With Smiling EyesSmiling Face With Smiling EyesSmiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28448 posts
4422 upvotes
Ottawa
billford wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:28 pm
As I stated "It is not a normal procedure but, it may need to be done."

Your statment was a blatant "Its a scam if it has hydraulic lifters."and that is simply untrue.

Shimming or adjusting is exactly what is done if something is worn out, to adjust to lessen the noise and/or prevent further damage. Read the links.
Oh and, a maintenance job is to prevent and/or to correct a problem.
qaz393 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:01 pm
its safe to assume you have DIY valve adjustment before?????
Yes. In the "old" days, it was a normal task. If you ever owned a motorcycle, it was a regular event. :)
Last edited by Pete_Coach on May 18th, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2011
988 posts
545 upvotes
qaz393 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:33 pm
U mean it's a scam for solid right??? Thanks for the pro tip Smiling Face With Smiling EyesSmiling Face With Smiling EyesSmiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Solids may need adjustment as a maintenance item. Check your owners manual.
Hydraulics are scams. Regular adjustment not needed.
Feb 6, 2011
988 posts
545 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:05 pm
As I stated "It is not a normal procedure but, it may need to be done."

Your statment was a blatant "Its a scam if it has hydraulic lifters."and that is simply untrue.

Shimming or adjusting is exactly what is done if something is worn out, to adjust to lessen the noise and/or prevent further damage. Read the links.
Oh and, a maintenance job is to prevent and/or to correct a problem.

Yes. In the "old" days, it was a normal task. If you ever owned a motorcycle, it was a regular event. :)
In a modern ohc hydraulic engine, what are you going to adjust ?