Real Estate

Vancouver housing bubble?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2019 5:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1311 posts
262 upvotes
ON
rob444 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2014 5:00 pm
Who the heck compares a depreciating asset like a car, to an appreciating one like a home?? They are fundamentally different.
Except a house is a depreciating asset...so the question is who likens a house to an appreciating asset?
(people are blinded by the unsustainable run-up in prices and conveniently forget the fact)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
3073 posts
933 upvotes
Toronto
sprdave wrote:
Feb 12th, 2014 9:07 pm
Except a house is a depreciating asset...so the question is who likens a house to an appreciating asset?
(people are blinded by the unsustainable run-up in prices and conveniently forget the fact)
Except here in the real world, homes appreciate in value. A house bought in one year for a certain amount, will sell in 10 years for a higher amount. Yes the wood and individual pieces of a home may depreciate as they wear down, but the overall dollar value of the property appreciates.

You seem to forget that homes are built on land, of which there is a finite amount. So as city populations keep increasing, and no new land is created... prices appreciate. Basic supply and demand.
Sr. Member
Dec 24, 2007
726 posts
63 upvotes
GTA
to see this thread goes into 300ish reply, I never gonna believe the housing market would crash (short term correction at the most). If one starts a topic of housing price and no one chills in, then sure the market will crash.
Jr. Member
Dec 14, 2013
191 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Feb 12th, 2014 2:43 pm
I am too exhausted from arguing with him.

Doesn't everyone see the the lunacy that this man spews? Incredible.


He lost me at time dispersed discrete samples something something.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
5907 posts
2625 upvotes
Hey, crashadam, are the February numbers available yet? And January, December, November, & October? I sure do miss your daily updates.... :lol:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2004
1268 posts
20 upvotes
Burnaby
rob444 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2014 9:59 pm
Except here in the real world, homes appreciate in value. A house bought in one year for a certain amount, will sell in 10 years for a higher amount. Yes the wood and individual pieces of a home may depreciate as they wear down, but the overall dollar value of the property appreciates.

You seem to forget that homes are built on land, of which there is a finite amount. So as city populations keep increasing, and no new land is created... prices appreciate. Basic supply and demand.
Ouch, you're describing a pyramid scheme/bubble right there. First in wins, last out looses. The only way your logic works out is if salaries increase accordingly. (which we all know isn't the case)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 28, 2007
3859 posts
1023 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 11:52 pm
Hey, crashadam, are the February numbers available yet? And January, December, November, & October? I sure do miss your daily updates.... :lol:
Since the trolls have gone away (for now) and can't derail this discussion (for now) with factually incorrect information - here's where Vancouver's housing market stands over the last few months according to the very same data the OP was using to suggest a "road to a 50% crash" a year and a half ago lol;

[IMG]http://www.yattermatters.com/wp/wp-cont ... -Price.jpg[/IMG]

- Vancouver’s new Detached home average price is now an astounding $1,361,023.
- Attached prices Up
- Apartment pries Up
- Inventory in all segments Down
- Sales in all segments Strong

As for the OP perhaps he gave up on this thread and bought a place - who knows but I could care less if he did or not ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3414 posts
297 upvotes
Calgary
gomyone wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2014 2:38 pm
Since the trolls have gone away (for now) and can't derail this discussion (for now) with factually incorrect information - here's where Vancouver's housing market stands over the last few months according to the very same data the OP was using to suggest a "road to a 50% crash" a year and a half ago lol;

[IMG]http://www.yattermatters.com/wp/wp-cont ... -Price.jpg[/IMG]

- Vancouver’s new Detached home average price is now an astounding $1,361,023.
- Attached prices Up
- Apartment pries Up
- Inventory in all segments Down
- Sales in all segments Strong

As for the OP perhaps he gave up on this thread and bought a place - who knows but I could care less if he did or not ;)
Damn, instead of going down, house pice is at all-time high in Vancouver. Eventhough I disagree with those chicken littles, but I was hoping there is a correction and the price will pull back and it would make a nice entry point. I always want to buy a vacation home in Vancouver. At this rate, I will never able to buy in Vancouver.
Sr. Member
Feb 5, 2013
592 posts
109 upvotes
An interesting aside is that CMHC has been blamed time and time again for the strong RE prices in Canada. CMHC is not available for homes above 1 million, making its' influence in this market questionable. If the thesis that CMHC inflates prices were true, you would expect Vancouver to be in a slump.
Jr. Member
Nov 9, 2007
182 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
Can't wait for the interest rates to go higher...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
3073 posts
933 upvotes
Toronto
lazarus wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2014 2:17 pm
Ouch, you're describing a pyramid scheme/bubble right there. First in wins, last out looses. The only way your logic works out is if salaries increase accordingly. (which we all know isn't the case)
No the logic works as long as cities keep expanding their population and keep adding to demand. If Canada ever significantly cuts their immigration rates, then housing would take a hit.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

geovanni