None
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
435 upvotes
BC
izzyzz wrote:
Dec 21st, 2015 6:26 pm
That is a good point. Even at current exchange rate, the American RE is often a far better value. As I mentioned above, it is the RE industry insiders that are pushing the narrative that the foreign buyers (who, by all available stats, represent less than 5% of the market) are going to start buying RE en masse and keep pushing the prices up. It's BS and they know it.
+1 Yet they are profiting big time
Go Raptors, Go!
May 27, 2007
214 posts
94 upvotes
popbottle wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2015 4:25 pm
to the moon ladies and gentlemen

http://www.vancourier.com/news/u-s-rate ... -1.2134340
"U.S. rate hike expected to boost B.C. exports and Vancouver home prices - See more at: http://www.vancourier.com/news/u-s-rate ... Ae0TQ.dpuf"
One must think popbottle has astronaut fetish. I left this thread for like half a year and every second post still starts with "To the moon!". I shudder to think about how he is in real life.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3036 posts
1459 upvotes
TWDM wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2015 5:08 am
One must think popbottle has astronaut fetish. I left this thread for like half a year and every second post still starts with "To the moon!". I shudder to think about how he is in real life.
Oh... he's a space cadet all right.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40529 posts
4310 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
popbottle wrote:
Dec 21st, 2015 6:29 pm
Its well known that its about the foreign buyers. Especially with the Canadian dollar being down property in Canada is a much improved investment, particularly with property taxes in Canada being one third to one half of those in most of the US.

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/its- ... in-calgary
"Christina Hagerty, a realtor with RE/MAX Realty Professionals in Calgary, said there has been an increase in foreign investors in the local market. "
This is all yellow peril.
Blame the foreigners! blame those damn minorities. hyuk hyuk.
Its strictly anecdotal. Foreign ownership represents a very small %. Even if they completely disappeared from the equation... home ownership cost would still be driven up due to the low cost of borrowing and social paradigm in Canada which favors home ownership.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2004
1572 posts
168 upvotes
Delta
You can't trust anything these RE pumpers say. One day they'll say the foreigners are coming so buy now or buy never, but when people get worked up and want to limit foreign investment, they'll come around and say oh but there really isn't so much foreign investment after all. Never take propaganda seriously.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3036 posts
1459 upvotes
dighn wrote:
Dec 24th, 2015 1:36 pm
You can't trust anything these RE pumpers say. One day they'll say the foreigners are coming so buy now or buy never, but when people get worked up and want to limit foreign investment, they'll come around and say oh but there really isn't so much foreign investment after all. Never take propaganda seriously.
If you repeat something enough and get enough household names to repeat the same thing, everyone will believe it.

In other news... how to own a house in Vancouver:

Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3036 posts
1459 upvotes
popbottle wrote:
Dec 24th, 2015 4:41 pm
No idea about fiddling with google street view however it's well known among people that live here that's it's all about the off shore purchases
Current house owners in pictured properties are on-shore. One's Vietnamese, one's Chinese, not sure the others. So... I guess to a casual observer, one could imagine them as off-shore buyers. In any case off-shore buyers that can't afford a house without needing income from 3 suites and a laneway house aren't too much of a concern.

It's well known among well-informed people that live here that's it's all about the idea of off shore purchases.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Motoss