• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2017 6:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
2951 posts
500 upvotes
Also consider what will happen with real estate prices if NDP vs Liberals get elected.

According to current polls, it's more or less a coin toss right now.
Jan 14, 2009
467 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Speedy1 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:39 am
Also consider what will happen with real estate prices if NDP vs Liberals get elected.

For those who has not lived under a NDP government in BC.

NDP = anti-business policies, slow economy, higher unemployment = lower real estate volume & prices.
Sep 28, 2010
226 posts
10 upvotes
Surrey
zakarydoks wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:55 am

NDP = anti-business policies, slow economy, higher unemployment = lower real estate volume & prices.
Don't believe this fear mongering bs! The bc liberals have gutted education, health care, taken from the most needy people in this province, to illegal stripping of contracts, and scandal after scandal. I'm not saying the ndp don't have any skeletons in their closet but quit this bs and have a real conversation about issues. It's because of people like you, no one has in interest in politics.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2577 posts
443 upvotes
We really lack any good, well-intentioned politicians in both major parties. Every election I feel obligated to vote but dislike my choices. This goes for all levels of government. They all make stupid, not well-thought out promises during the election and when they get elected, the first thing they do is give themselves a raise, or cut back their hours (i.e. I remember many of the federal Liberals complaining that they needed more work-life balance).

I would love to see a politician that would come up with a campaign that makes sense and that puts the residents of its jurisdiction first. Politicians work for the people not themselves and special interest groups. I would also like politicians to treat taxpayer dollars as if they were sacred and not like a free supply of endless money to blow as they choose.

If you look around, the situation is a real mess. On the one side you have people working hard to earn an honest living and make something of themselves. On the other you have people that protest everything, don't understand math and money management and are more or less supported by programs funded by the working side. I don't have to list the issues because everyone knows what they are but it seems like the government keeps asking for more money for each of the big issues and the outcome only gets worse. Good job! (sarcasm)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
5530 posts
1225 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Speedy1 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:39 am

In recent history, polls have gotten more things wrong than they have gotten right. Weather forecast have a better track record than polls! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
5530 posts
1225 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zakarydoks wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:55 am

purplekush604 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:06 am
Don't believe this fear mongering bs! The bc liberals have gutted education, health care, taken from the most needy people in this province, to illegal stripping of contracts, and scandal after scandal. I'm not saying the ndp don't have any skeletons in their closet but quit this bs and have a real conversation about issues. It's because of people like you, no one has in interest in politics.
The above is a classic example of the types of discussions that don't benefit anyone and turn people off of politics.

Let's be straight here -

1. Both sides pander to special interest groups with those groups getting more and more 'special' than mainstream in every election. This happened big time during the last US election where the Right got more Right and for some reason the Left got more Green leaving the traditional left.
2. The associated special interest groups on both sides are really looking out for themselves while they say they are looking out for us. A classic example is the advertising campaign put out by the various public sector unions only during contract negotiations or elections. And then once the contract is signed, the advertising stops only to start again with the SAME message when the next event happens. If the issue was so important, then shouldn't they keep advertising so create public awareness all the time? It's a NHL player only scoring 30+ goals during his option year but dogging it once the new multmillion contract is signed.
3. All governments get more and more comfortable the longer they stay in office and start letting things slip regardless of the platform they run under or the country they are in. In Vancouver, Vision is a classic example of a party who will probably get thrown out in 2018. At the federal level, even after years and many close call elections, Conservatives got too comfortable. In the US, the Democrats saw that happen.
Jan 14, 2009
467 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
craftsman wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:09 pm
The above is a classic example of the types of discussions that don't benefit anyone and turn people off of politics.

Let's be straight here -

1. Both sides pander to special interest groups with those groups getting more and more 'special' than mainstream in every election. This happened big time during the last US election where the Right got more Right and for some reason the Left got more Green leaving the traditional left.
2. The associated special interest groups on both sides are really looking out for themselves while they say they are looking out for us. A classic example is the advertising campaign put out by the various public sector unions only during contract negotiations or elections. And then once the contract is signed, the advertising stops only to start again with the SAME message when the next event happens. If the issue was so important, then shouldn't they keep advertising so create public awareness all the time? It's a NHL player only scoring 30+ goals during his option year but dogging it once the new multmillion contract is signed.
3. All governments get more and more comfortable the longer they stay in office and start letting things slip regardless of the platform they run under or the country they are in. In Vancouver, Vision is a classic example of a party who will probably get thrown out in 2018. At the federal level, even after years and many close call elections, Conservatives got too comfortable. In the US, the Democrats saw that happen.
The economy is too complex for anyone to fully understand and manipulate. I just dilute it down to one simple rule. I will vote for the party that will tax our economy less and I encourage other British Columbians to do the same.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
5530 posts
1225 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zakarydoks wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:30 pm
The economy is too complex for anyone to fully understand and manipulate. I just dilute it down to one simple rule. I will vote for the party that will tax our economy less and I encourage other British Columbians to do the same.
As long as that means that they don't build up a debt while they are doing just that.
Jan 14, 2009
467 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
craftsman wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:45 pm
As long as that means that they don't build up a debt while they are doing just that.

We are in decent shape. I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but hopefully we don't end up bailing out the other provinces in a couple of years.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
5530 posts
1225 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zakarydoks wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:21 pm

We are in decent shape. I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but hopefully we don't end up bailing out the other provinces in a couple of years.
Yep. I do realize that we are in decent shape. But I can see a party promising the world and saying that they won't raise taxes, only to find out later that they just keep adding to the debt. I'm sure Alberta is having fun.

SK is actually doing very well in terms of controlling debt over the past 10 years.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2577 posts
443 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:09 pm

Let's be straight here -

I really hope you're right. Vision has totally ruined Vancouver and I don't think they have any respect for the taxpayers anymore. Have you ever tried talking to a Vision councilor or seen one of the council meetings where the Vision councilors appear to be bullying the other councilors? I can't believe how they behave. It is like they have no self-monitoring and do not know how they appear to the public. I swear they are completely driven by policies that allow them to continue the aggressive expansion of City Hall and the corresponding rise in property taxes. What really concerns me is that those who live in Vancouver keep voting Vision in. What are they thinking? :(
Jan 14, 2009
467 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
choclover wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 10:50 am
I really hope you're right. Vision has totally ruined Vancouver and I don't think they have any respect for the taxpayers anymore. Have you ever tried talking to a Vision councilor or seen one of the council meetings where the Vision councilors appear to be bullying the other councilors? I can't believe how they behave. It is like they have no self-monitoring and do not know how they appear to the public. I swear they are completely driven by policies that allow them to continue the aggressive expansion of City Hall and the corresponding rise in property taxes. What really concerns me is that those who live in Vancouver keep voting Vision in. What are they thinking? :(
Renters and out of towners but I have no data to back that up :-D. At least the provincial government tries to put a leash on that pack of wild dogs. My fear is that if the NDP wins, we get a triple alignment of the left from Ottawa to city hall, an axis of evil. No more fiscal conservatism, pile on debt, taxes, and fees. This kind of ideology will ruin a society while telling them it's for their own good.

I knew people who built Chinatown, literally raising the money to build some of the "heritage" buildings. Seeing the condition it is in today is heartbreaking and disgraceful. Who are these people speaking on behalf of Chinatown today? Are they even from Vancouver? Where were they in 60s 70s and 80s when business was booming and rent was some of the highest in Canada? Many of the originsls has given up on Chinatown and stopped investing in it in the 90s and they did well. They realized you can't win against bad policies.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
5530 posts
1225 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
choclover wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 10:50 am
That's because they took a page from the Burnaby Citizens Association... they put up a front that says they are 'left' but are really on the 'right' side of things. Think of all the big points that Vision has put forward - want to be the greenest city, want to end homelessness, want to end the use of natural gas and fighting the pipeline. All of those points are from the left but look at their actions - land swaps that benefit developers, wanting to tear down the viaducts so that more development can be done, getting nothing done in regards to homelessness, putting forward a vacancy tax that is NOTHING when compared to Paris' 60% (Vancouver is 1%)....

GVRD politics have become dysfunctional at levels in the past decade due to this type of thing.
Jan 14, 2009
467 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
craftsman wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:30 pm
That's because they took a page from the Burnaby Citizens Association... they put up a front that says they are 'left' but are really on the 'right' side of things. Think of all the big points that Vision has put forward - want to be the greenest city, want to end homelessness, want to end the use of natural gas and fighting the pipeline. All of those points are from the left but look at their actions - land swaps that benefit developers, wanting to tear down the viaducts so that more development can be done, getting nothing done in regards to homelessness, putting forward a vacancy tax that is NOTHING when compared to Paris' 60% (Vancouver is 1%)....

GVRD politics have become dysfunctional at levels in the past decade due to this type of thing.
I don't blame them too much for that misrepresentation. The problem is you will not win an election without spewing some slimey left wing dribble because a large portion of the public has been conditioned to believe in it like a religion. In fact they probably believed in their left wing policies until real life twisted their arm. Then like all lefties they decided to milk the system.

Cutting costs and and private sector development is so unpopular, no party can win running on that platform.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel