• Mar 7th, 2008 5:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
3384 posts
46 upvotes

Vancouver restaurant recommendation

Can someone recommend me a restaurant in tinseltown area(pender & abott)? must be within walking distance. thanks.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu:
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
3384 posts
46 upvotes
oisy wrote: What type of cuisine are you looking at?
as long as the food is good. i'm willing to try anything. :D
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu:
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15775 posts
1685 upvotes
Maple Ridge
chinatown has few restaurant such as hon's.
Sep 21, 2003
370 posts
2 upvotes
Wild Rice is good. It is fancy Chinese food with a western style twist. Cool dining experience.

Hon's sucks. Please don't go there.

My suggestion is Phenom Penh. go to dinehere.ca and check the reviews. It is an excellent Cambodian/Vietnemese restaurant, which isn't like your usual Pho place. Everything is good there, except their Pho. Get the chicken wings, butter beef, and lotus roots. Probably one of the best Asian restaurants in Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1257 posts
67 upvotes
North Vancouver
forgamez wrote: Wild Rice is good. It is fancy Chinese food with a western style twist. Cool dining experience.

Hon's sucks. Please don't go there.

My suggestion is Phenom Penh. go to dinehere.ca and check the reviews. It is an excellent Cambodian/Vietnemese restaurant, which isn't like your usual Pho place. Everything is good there, except their Pho. Get the chicken wings, butter beef, and lotus roots. Probably one of the best Asian restaurants in Vancouver.
I'll second Phnom Penh - butter beef is kick-ass, but not for the sqeamish. A bit of hike from Abbott though.

Disagree about Hon's - decent food, cheap and unpretentious, but a bit of a hike too.

Gastown is a closer hike (I think) and more choices from Incendio, Water Street Cafe, Jules (French Bistro), Salt, Social - even the Spaghetti Factory.

If you're adventurous - try the Only Seafood on W. Hastings - it's an experience the OP will never forget. The food is good, the neighborhood licks, but it's part of Vancouver History

Good luck.
Sep 21, 2003
370 posts
2 upvotes
Jumbotron wrote: I'll second Phnom Penh - butter beef is kick-ass, but not for the sqeamish. A bit of hike from Abbott though.

Disagree about Hon's - decent food, cheap and unpretentious, but a bit of a hike too.

Gastown is a closer hike (I think) and more choices from Incendio, Water Street Cafe, Jules (French Bistro), Salt, Social - even the Spaghetti Factory.

If you're adventurous - try the Only Seafood on W. Hastings - it's an experience the OP will never forget. The food is good, the neighborhood licks, but it's part of Vancouver History

Good luck.
Hon's is not cheap at all compared to most Chinese places.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1257 posts
67 upvotes
North Vancouver
forgamez wrote: Hon's is not cheap at all compared to most Chinese places.
Depends on the Chinese places you go I guess - Chow mein is like $7.95 and large. I'd go somewhere cheaper, but the absence of dogs in the neighbourhood worries me somewhat :-)

What's cheaper, faster, tastier and takes plastic?

I don't think you would consider Hon's expensive. Cheap in Chinatown in Kent's kitchen - $5.50 for 7 lbs of food and each bite of mystery meat keeps you wondering.

My 2 cents.
Sep 21, 2003
370 posts
2 upvotes
Jumbotron wrote: Depends on the Chinese places you go I guess - Chow mein is like $7.95 and large. I'd go somewhere cheaper, but the absence of dogs in the neighbourhood worries me somewhat :-)

What's cheaper, faster, tastier and takes plastic?

I don't think you would consider Hon's expensive. Cheap in Chinatown in Kent's kitchen - $5.50 for 7 lbs of food and each bite of mystery meat keeps you wondering.

My 2 cents.
I agree that is Hon's is not expensive compared to your vast majority of dining options in Vancouver.

I'd go to The Boss in the Chinatown for food. Its better than Hon's.

I think the food at Hon's is very average and is not the cheapest option in its niche (ie. casual Chinese food) in Vancouver. If only considering Chinatown and you didn't know where you are going, and wanted Chinese food, go to Hon's. If you are considering the whole of Vancouver, then really Hon's is the last place I'd go for Chinese food. I just don't think the value (ie. quality to price ratio) is there with Hon's.

If you need suggestions, please let me know.