• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2019 1:14 pm
Dec 27, 2005
609 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON

vanilla Prepaid Mastercard missing 16 digit Number

Hello All,

I purchased a card worth $200 s few months ago from a walmart gift card ( which i got through a Koodo deal).

Today I opened the package and went to use it at stores and the machine didn't recognize it at all. looks like the 16 digit number is missing.

I called CS and they want receipt for them to issue a new one.. Now i don't have a receipt from few months ago .. can't even remember which walmart i bought it from.

any one else had something like this??

Thanks for your help!
16 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
paf wrote: Hello All,

I purchased a card worth $200 s few months ago from a walmart gift card ( which i got through a Koodo deal).

Today I opened the package and went to use it at stores and the machine didn't recognize it at all. looks like the 16 digit number is missing.

I called CS and they want receipt for them to issue a new one.. Now i don't have a receipt from few months ago .. can't even remember which walmart i bought it from.

Thanks for your help!
If you can't give them anything to go on, you're kind of screwed. In this case, I'm not really sure what else they are supposed to do.

C
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
paf wrote: Hello All,

Thanks for your help!
Your title says Vanilla prepaid. But then you said Walmart gift card. Which is it? Do you mean you have the actual card in the package but there is no # on the card? Since you got it from Kooho, May be contact them.
Dec 27, 2005
609 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ml88888888 wrote: Your title says Vanilla prepaid. But then you said Walmart gift card. Which is it? Do you mean you have the actual card in the package but there is no # on the card? Since you got it from Kooho, May be contact them.
I had a Walmart gift card which I used to buy the vanilla prepaid MasterCard
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
paf wrote: I had a Walmart gift card which I used to buy the vanilla prepaid MasterCard
You can check the balance on your card on vanillaprepaid.com.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3737 upvotes
Montreal
ml88888888 wrote: You can check the balance on your card on vanillaprepaid.com.
Not without the card number...
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
Just a suggestion but any chance you failed to realize there is a sticker blocking the card number from open view inside the packaging? Peeling it back reveals the unembossed card number.

Long shot but you never know how familiar or not a poster might be with these things.
Wealthsimple Premium
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: Not without the card number...
Are you saying you have the card, but the card has no number on it(i.e. no number printed on the card?)
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3737 upvotes
Montreal
ml88888888 wrote: Are you saying you have the card, but the card has no number on it(i.e. no number printed on the card?)
I'm not the OP. Are you only reading every second word in this thread or something?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Sounds like the OP has paid some tuition to the School of Life.
I keep all of my receipts going 7 years back in an envelope filing system... this applies to everything from McD's to WalMart to Coscto to gas stations.
Actually I just got finished shredding my old 2012 receipts at the turn of the 2019 New Year.

OP, WalMart can actually pull up and re-print old receipts. If you don't remember the info, I suspect you won't get a tax deduction on this 'tuition to the School of Life'.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2807 posts
3662 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Sounds like the OP has paid some tuition to the School of Life.
I keep all of my receipts going 7 years back in an envelope filing system... this applies to everything from McD's to WalMart to Coscto to gas stations.
Actually I just got finished shredding my old 2012 receipts at the turn of the 2019 New Year.

OP, WalMart can actually pull up and re-print old receipts. If you don't remember the info, I suspect you won't get a tax deduction on this 'tuition to the School of Life'.
If compulsive receipt retention is a lesson from the school of life, I'd pick a new school.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
robsaw wrote: If compulsive receipt retention is a lesson from the school of life, I'd pick a new school.
I'm a pretty extreme example; People should realise the gift card business is full of pitfalls and scams, and you need to assume something will go wrong and therefore take steps to protect yourself.

Out of the receipts I retain, less than 0.1% turn out to be of relevance. But some of those 0.1% have really saved my bacon, especially when it comes to taxes and home insurance.
- casual gastronomist -
Aug 27, 2014
639 posts
397 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Sounds like the OP has paid some tuition to the School of Life.

You wouldn't pay me $1000 to keep that many receipts!

Many of them end up fading anyway. I suppose you store them in a cool, dark place.

Seriously, I'd consider scanning them or taking a picture with your phone. Some companies may not like it, but it still shows the exact time and amount of the transaction and can be verified with the store.

I'm happy that some stores like Canadian Tire can even verify transactions now with just a credit card number or the fidelity card.
Dec 27, 2005
609 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Only if you remember what day you got it ..

I rather change school if you need to keep keep receipts I 2019.

You carry your way ! .. not saying it's wrong but not my cup of tea
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1087 posts
832 upvotes
Mississauga
Buy a magstripe reader from Amazon for <$20 and swipe it.

It will give you the card number and expiry date.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
Yes me! I received that card as a gift and the last 4 digits and the Cvv were scratched out leaving only a white space. Very bizarre
Be kind and civil with one another