• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2016 9:00 am
Mar 18, 2015
238 posts
184 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Variable vs Fixed Opinion

So I have 2 options for a mortgage
2.39 5y fixed vs Prime minus - 0.45 which works out to be (2.25%)

The difference in payment would be roughly about $50/month

If you're in this scenario, which one would you pick?
I was always in the camp of go variable because a lot smarter guys have done the calculations to give the bank more profit. But that was when the rate differential was always bigger than the paltry 0.14%
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11233 posts
3351 upvotes
Toronto
restie wrote: So I have 2 options for a mortgage

I was always in the camp of go variable because a lot smarter guys have done the calculations to give the bank more profit. But that was when the rate differential was always bigger than the paltry 0.14%
It really depends on your risk tolerance. But spreads between 5-year fixed and 5-year variable are so thin now, that I actually would go fixed...just my opinion,

Btw, best rates are 2.00% 5-year variable and 2.14% 5-year fixed.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
410 upvotes
Depends on your risk tolerance and how stable is your life. What is the probability that you may have to move before the end of the 5 - yr term? Most fixed rate mortgages have prohibitive pre-payment penalties if you should have to break your mortgage for any reason. This is something you really need to consider when deciding on any fixed rate mortgage. Think ahead for the next 5 years and see whether you could have to move - a new job, a change in family status, parental care. If it helps, reflect back on how your life has changed in the past 5 years and ask yourself if you can expect the same for the next 5 years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Variable's great if you foresee having to sell, move, or otherwise break (like a refinance), as the penalty for doing so is much lower. On rates alone however,
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
restie wrote: So I have 2 options for a mortgage

It really depends on your risk tolerance. But spreads between 5-year fixed and 5-year variable are so thin now, that I actually would go fixed...just my opinion,

Btw, best rates are 2.00% 5-year variable and 2.14% 5-year fixed.
if the spread is only 0.14%, either in your "2 options" or at the best available, that's just not worth it. Fixed is the way to go, unless you have reason to expect to have to break.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Do bonds in EU and Japan affect our local bonds, which is where fixed rates are derived?

Just read in the news that something really nasty is going on in the bond market where the German bund shot up a full percentage point over one-month period.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3214 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
for a 0.14 spread under normal circumstances i'd go for fixed definitely,
the only thing worth considering is that right now there is a chance that boc will have a rate cut of 0.25% by december, no chance for a rate hike in 2017. they may start hiking rate in 2018 and after but it really is a gamble for such long term forecast. I assume it is fair to have rate rise up to 2% by 2020. ideally if i could wait, i will lock in after december.
but none the less if you can get 2.0% 5 year fixed it is a good rate already, i 'd go for it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
ccyk wrote: for a 0.14 spread under normal circumstances i'd go for fixed definitely,
the only thing worth considering is that right now there is a chance that boc will have a rate cut of 0.25% by december, no chance for a rate hike in 2017. they may start hiking rate in 2018 and after but it really is a gamble for such long term forecast. I assume it is fair to have rate rise up to 2% by 2020. ideally if i could wait, i will lock in after december.
but none the less if you can get 2.0% 5 year fixed it is a good rate already, i 'd go for it.
Just my $0.02, but I think if we were going to see a cut this year, it would have been this decision just past, immediately following the Q2 GDP contraction announcement. With that decision to stand pat, because recovery was strong in June, and Q3 growth is looking good, I don't think we'll see a cut before a hike, barring some other kind of big catastrophe.
Sep 1, 2013
403 posts
97 upvotes
Whether we see a cut or not, mortgage rates are headed lower - as the amount of money flowing into mortgages is multiplying in droves. The best fixed rate 6 months ago was 2.4%+ - so you have had the equivalent of a rate cut already. Sovereign assets are yielding negative and when you see the mortgages backed by the CMHC (= backed by the government) yielding 2%+, it doesn't take long for the reality to sink in.

To the OP, other than purely the interest rate numbers, also consider how much more mortgage you could qualify for under a fixed rate structure (5+ year term). The variable rate mortgages are underwritten with a benchmark yield (4.6% at the moment). If you have other higher costing debt such as credit cards, lines of credit, etc. you could consolidate them using a higher mortgage amount under fixed rates. Of course, if the constraint is the downpayment or the house value - and you already hit that constraint under the variable rate - it wouldn't matter either way.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
ccyk wrote: for a 0.14 spread under normal circumstances i'd go for fixed definitely,
If BOC rate cut is the reason, then no need to wait.
For variable, your rate will go down accordingly if the banks follow BOC cut.
For fixed, the rate is determined by bonds, not BOC rate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)